HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 12:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
So how does this affect the Junction Urban Village expansion? The hotel component of their development was supposed to be a Home 2 Suites.

Is there still room for this brand downtown?
They made the decision to move the hotel to the highway. There will be no Home 2 Suites at the Junction Village.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They made the decision to move the hotel to the highway. There will be no Home 2 Suites at the Junction Village.
Sounds like Hilton Home 2 Suites wanted into the Moncton market and didn't like the pace at which the Junction was progressing.

Then again, the market that the Junction developers were targeting with their hotel was the business traveller. Could this still be viable, or has that ship sailed? Would the covid work-from-home aspect have put the kibosh on this market?

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
all the structural steel for the new Greystone Energy Systems manufacturing plant, also on DesBrisay has been mounted. This will be an impressively large building.
This is on CCD Canada:

Quote:
NB - MONCTON
GREYSTONE ENERGY SYSTEMS
NEW HVAC MANUFACTURING, WAREHOUSE & OFFICE FACILITY
$18,000,000
I have no difficulty believing an $18M valuation given the size of this building.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 3:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The city intends to invest $742,000 for traffic calming measures on Twin Oaks Drive. This was already posted and discussed in the main Moncton section. I include it here for completeness sake.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This map shows the intended locations for the raised crosswalks in the Evergreen/Kingswood area:

By and large, the raised crosswalks will be strategically placed near pedestrian/bicycle routes to the YMCA, and Northrup Frye, Maplehurst and le Sommet schools. Curiously, there is no traffic calming planned for near Evergreen Park School.

The notice said additional measures are planned, but, likely will not be implemented until 2025, including:
- Pavement markings
- Radar speed feedback signage
- "Flexible" crosswalk signs (by this I take it to mean spring loaded signs mounted in the middle of the road at crosswalks).
- Delineators (pylons).

Twin Oaks Drive is about to become an obstacle course.........

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 7:30 PM

There is an update from the City of Moncton regarding the Vision Lands!!

A couple interesting things to note;
- It does appear that there is some sort of overpass or underpass going to the MID lands on the north side of the TCH.
- It seems to take some hints from the previous plan that Thrive had presented for this area.
- There is a school, but I assume this would be for the Vision Lands rather than being a new high school for the entire north end.
- There is also a site selected for a potential second school, you can see this on the zoning map.

Here is a link to the PDF https://letschatmoncton.ca/40189/wid...cuments/135790
Here is some screen grabs from the presentation:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 7:40 PM

This is IMPRESSIVE to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
There is an update from the City of Moncton regarding the Vision Lands!!

A couple interesting things to note;
- It does appear that there is some sort of overpass or underpass going to the MID lands on the north side of the TCH.
- It seems to take some hints from the previous plan that Thrive had presented for this area.
- There is a school, but I assume this would be for the Vision Lands rather than being a new high school for the entire north end.
- There is also a site selected for a potential second school, you can see this on the zoning map.

Here is a link to the PDF https://letschatmoncton.ca/40189/wid...cuments/135790
Here is some screen grabs from the presentation:

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 8:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Holy crap!!!

They are connecting LJR Blvd through to Crowley Farm Road just as I had envisioned. This will create another cross town route and take some pressure off Mountain Rd and even Wheeler Blvd.

I will need to peruse the whole thing before rendering more opinions.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Holy crap!!!

They are connecting LJR Blvd through to Crowley Farm Road just as I had envisioned. This will create another cross town route and take some pressure off Mountain Rd and even Wheeler Blvd.

I will need to peruse the whole thing before rendering more opinions.
Is there a possibility that they start this soon or will this start in like 10 years?

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
Is there a possibility that they start this soon or will this start in like 10 years?
I’m optimistic they they will work on things soon, if the city builds the crossing at LKR Blvd, that will certainly get things moving. I imagine this will take a long time to flesh out, and much of this plan will change (hopefully in a good way) before it becomes a realization.

Think of the downtown plan from 2017, we’re not even 10 years out from that, and a lot of the heights are drastically higher than they envisioned in that plan. I imagine something similar will happen here.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 11:13 PM

I saw someone on facebook comment that Irving bought all the land..

And someone else ask for confirmation..

And confirmation of the sale provided. Though it didn't specify Irving, just the sale price and date.

Curious.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 11:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy321 View Post
I agree with josh.

If the city wants to get a head start on the Vision Lands, they will have to take the bull by the horns, and build that bridge across Hall's Creek and extend LJR, and establish the connection to Crowley Farm Road. Everything else depends on this. In concept, it is much like the extension of Dieppe Blvd to Dover Road. Build this, and 10 years later, there will be a whole new neighbourhood and a new school will have been built. The Dieppe Blvd extension required funding from all three levels of government. The basic roadwork to create the Vision Lands should be funded in similar fashion.

- Will I see the completion of this plan in my lifetime? No.......
- Will it be built exactly as envisioned? No...........

We will eventually get a reasonable facsimile thereof. It may not be as ambitious as the initial plan. A lot depends on how fast the city continues to grow.

This is but a template to guide the process.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 11:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
I saw someone on facebook comment that Irving bought all the land..

And someone else ask for confirmation..

And confirmation of the sale provided. Though it didn't specify Irving, just the sale price and date.

Curious.
Irving bought a considerable amount of land in the vicinity of the Kent store, with the idea of creating a new commercial district. This is included in the Vision Land proposal. Irving did not buy all of the Vision Lands. I beleive there are about six landholders in the area, but, they are all being consulted closely with the idea of extablsihing the maximum amount of cooperation possible.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Irving bought a considerable amount of land in the vicinity of the Kent store, with the idea of creating a new commercial district. This is included in the Vision Land proposal. Irving did not buy all of the Vision Lands. I beleive there are about six landholders in the area, but, they are all being consulted closely with the idea of extablsihing the maximum amount of cooperation possible.
Thrive recently sold their land in the vision lands, but I’m not sure to who (though I had heard it was to Irving) Is there anyone who can tell us this info?

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 10:25 PM

I presume Moncton Street not extending all the way to McLaughlin is due to the future highway ramps? Seeing it parallel the highway across Halls Creek, then dipping south to connect with Kelly would make sense, but would require a second bridge.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
I presume Moncton Street not extending all the way to McLaughlin is due to the future highway ramps? Seeing it parallel the highway across Halls Creek, then dipping south to connect with Kelly would make sense, but would require a second bridge.
They want there to be a park so there is no connection through the halls creek area due to that.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
They want there to be a park so there is no connection through the halls creek area due to that.
I was thinking it would continue immediately south of the highway and crossing the north branch before veering south, not bisecting the park.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 2:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I was thinking it would continue immediately south of the highway and crossing the north branch before veering south, not bisecting the park.
The park extends north/south too. The extension of Leopold Belliveau will be the only roadway crossing the park (save for the southern connector to Crowley Farm Road).

Also, if you look at the road network carefully, they are planning another access road into the Mapleton Centre, skirting along the northern flank of the Mode Choc store.

This is not a bad idea actually. This retail plaza needs a secondary (escape) exit. I wonder if this is the reason why this access road is planned.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 12:28 PM

I should have been more clear-- I meant Moncton St crossing the North Branch like this: https://imgur.com/a/o3vdrLW

And, are there any major plans between McLaughlin and Halls Creek, or is it just being built out 'organically' by a few different developers?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2024, 1:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I should have been more clear-- I meant Moncton St crossing the North Branch like this: https://imgur.com/a/o3vdrLW

And, are there any major plans between McLaughlin and Halls Creek, or is it just being built out 'organically' by a few different developers?

Gotcha. BTW, you can post your image directly into your post on SSP simply by enclosing the image address from imgur between [img] and [/img] ( I found your image address simply by right clicking on the image you posted in imgur). One of the things that might complicate extending Moncton Street too far east is the fact that there will eventually be a new TCH interchange at Mclaughlin Road. That, and the already partly built out Loepold Belliveau Blvd probably complicates things.

There are plans for the entire Vision Lands. They have just decided to clearly delineate the Vision Lands West from the Vision Lands East, and separating the two entities with the Hall's Creek Parkland. Their most immediate concern is developing the Vision Lands West. What happens in the west is critical in terms of how the east eventually develops. Everything depends on the connector from LJR Blvd to Crowley Farm Road, and the connection to Leopold Belliveau Blvd.

The Vision Lands East are already partly built out along Leopold Belliveau Blvd, and contains the Odyssee & Mascaret schools.

It seems their plans for the Vision Plans West are more extensive and will feature much higher intensity development. I presume this is because of the relationship of the western part of the Vision Lands to adjacent roads (especially Mapleton Road, Wheeler Blvd and the TCH) is more intimate than the eastern part of the Vision Lands.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 31, 2024 at 1:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces