HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
No wonder Trudeau's Liberals are misleading Canadians saying that they're going to cap International Student numbers, and yet in reality record student visas were issued YTD 2024:

Foreign student permits are already outpacing 2023's record numbers

https://nationalpost.com/news/politi...record-numbers

According to numbers curated online by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), Canada handed out 216,620 international study permits in the first five months of 2024. Just 200,205 study permits were handed out during the same time period in 2023.

During the first five months of 2024, Indian students were granted 91,510 permits, more than the 85,805 granted over the same period last year.

In January, Immigration Marc Miller announced he was putting an intake cap on international student permit applications that he expected to result in approximately 360,000 approved study permits, a decrease of 35 per cent from 2023.

The issue came to a head last summer after reports of international students, unable to secure housing, were living rough on the streets and in homeless shelters — including a Conestoga College student from India found sleeping under a bridge in east-end Toronto.

Conservative immigration critic Tom Kmiec blamed the last nine years of the Trudeau government for the problem of too many temporary residents for the system to handle.

“It is so bad that the current Liberal immigration minister himself said the broken system is ‘out of control’. The previous immigration minister admitted that the system is a ‘complete mess’. Even Trudeau acknowledged their shared failure, calling the system ‘broken,'” he said.

“The Liberal government first allowed corrupt consultants and phoney educational institutions to bring students here under false pretences. Then they promised to fix the mess and bring it under control only to see things become worse amid a growing housing crisis of their making.”

Typical Trudeau Liberal lies.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Fool me once shame on you...

We've had people on this board and it's predecessor warning how terrible Trudeau is for 5 or 6 years now and yet we are still surprised.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
There's a certain irony in some here labelling Kamala Harris as a DEI pick. Look at her resume. I struggle to think of a high level politician in Canada who comes close.
Definitely impressive resume and not under-qualified.

In Canada someone like Anita Anand is very qualified and is of a minority background and I don't know how anybody would see her as a DEI pick. She is a lawyer and was a law professor at U of T as well at some other major universities.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Because the backlash will only grow and the consensus is gone or you think the immigration surge is so detrimental on their own?
All of the above. In one policy

1) broke a century of consensus on immigration
2) made a huge mess of the housing market
3) made a huge mess of the economy
4) destroyed productivity

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Definitely impressive resume and not under-qualified.

In Canada someone like Anita Anand is very qualified and is of a minority background and I don't know how anybody would see her as a DEI pick. She is a lawyer and was a law professor at U of T as well at some other major universities.
Given how Canadian cabinet ministers have always been selected, using the "DEI" label for any minister seems a very odd thing.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Given how Canadian cabinet ministers have always been selected, using the "DEI" label for any minister seems a very odd thing.
Yes they are all chosen for geographic reasons but quotas is relatively new. She was academically brilliant and excelled in every job she had and that carried through to her ministerial work. Those things don't always correlate though. Ignatieff is probably the smartest leader we have had since at least the first Trudeau probably. How did that work out?
The DEI accusation will be easier to refute if you don't make prouncements about the first this and the first that and require 50% of cabinet ministers be women or X% across our economy. We are repeating the US affirmative action mistake from the 70s which seems to have been a resounding failure. Second maybe to ruining our immigration consensus this is another critical mistake.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:32 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Some people may be very smart and competent and carry with them DEI points as a nice bonus. I think Anita Anand fits the bill for that.

Kamala Harris comes across as more of a shrewd politician calculating her way to the top. Again, DEI points are a bonus and not what primarily made her.

Other people are more pure DEI creations than them.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Kamala Harris comes across as more of a shrewd politician calculating her way to the top.
I love that this is the accusation the right is going with. It's like they have no women on campaign staff. Especially younger ones.

There's a massive generational difference in how this is seen.

80s: "She's a slut sleeping her way to the top."

00s: "He was her boss and much older than her. Very difficult to refuse."

Using a bunch of 80s arguments with women under about 60 is going to backfire spectacularly. What half successful or slightly ambitious woman hasn't faced accusations of being too ambitious or faced actual predation?

It's honestly the most entertaining thing to watch of this twist in their election. Lots of guys revealing themselves to their wives, sisters and daughters for the Neanderthals they are.

Can't say I saw it coming. But that completely unhinged and undisciplined reaction is marketing she could never buy and will absolutely benefit from. They could have made it about her record. Instead they jumped right to one of the core accusations that strikes a nerve with half the population.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
In Canada someone like Anita Anand is very qualified and is of a minority background and I don't know how anybody would see her as a DEI pick.
Sit in a room with a bunch of middle-aged "oppressed" white men and you will hear that about almost any female (and many men) of colour rising to any power position.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Sit in a room with a bunch of middle-aged "oppressed" white men and you will hear that about almost any female (and many men) of colour rising to any power position.
The recent reaction to the appointment of the CDS is a great example. She wasn't my first choice. And I think there's better. But so much of the reaction was just outright misogyny. Was so happy to see Erin O'Toole call it out. On the other hand, Norman Spector (who never served) posted a picture of her and the Governor General with a snide comment about Putin being scared:

Some guys cannot help themselves.... Apparently even after having served as Chief of Staff to a Prime Minister.

Last edited by Truenorth00; Jul 23, 2024 at 11:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:31 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
... Was so happy to see Erin O'Toole call it out ...
Crazy idea .... but someone should try and get the LPC brass to convince O'Toole to replace Trudeau!

He was running a platform that very much could have been the LPC's in the pre-JT years ... and he has certainly shown himself to have integrity and ethics.

Really too bad the CPC shot themselves in the foot after 2021.

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Bingo.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
The recent reaction to the appointment of the CDS is a great example. She wasn't my first choice. And I think there's better. But so much of the reaction was just outright misogyny. Was so happy to see Erin O'Toole call it out. On the other hand, Norman Spector (who never served) posted a picture of her and the Governor General with a snide comment about Putin being scared:

Some guys cannot help themselves.... Apparently even after having served as Chief of Staff to a Prime Minister.
Re "there's better" - is she qualified to hold the position? Everything else is irrelevant.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:47 AM

Enlisted marines get their uniforms tailored. I understand the CF has budget issues, but couldn't somebody get a tailor for for the CDS and Commander in Chief?

Last edited by acottawa; Jul 23, 2024 at 12:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Enlisted marines get their uniforms tailored. I understand the CF has budget issues, but couldn't somebody get a tailor for for the CDS and Commander in Chief?
You have a point there. They are supposed to be the leadership representatives
but they look like they are entering a Halloween party.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Re "there's better" - is she qualified to hold the position? Everything else is irrelevant.
She absolutely is. I have never questioned that.

You don't get to wear Leaves without having some military competence.

Saying I would have preferred another candidate, should not be read as deeming her unsuitable.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
There's less than a literal handful of tailors for the thousands of military in Ottawa. And operational requirements are priority over aesthetics.

Our uniforms are crap in general. I'm happy the CDS is dressed like one of us, so the rest of you understand the problem.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Crazy idea .... but someone should try and get the LPC brass to convince O'Toole to replace Trudeau!

He was running a platform that very much could have been the LPC's in the pre-JT years ... and he has certainly shown himself to have integrity and ethics.

Really too bad the CPC shot themselves in the foot after 2021.
Not crazy at all. He would make an ok PM.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Well your comparing Q1 2023 to Q1 2024.

Well, 2023 had no cap at all and 2024 does. A cap that came in midway through Q1. Lets have a look at how Q2 pans out before coming to the conclusion that the Liberals are misleading Canadians.

Most of these types of programs are first come - first serve. When they hit the limit for 2024 they stop issuing permits then wait for it to reset next year.

I expected better reporting from one of our national papers.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:09 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I love that this is the accusation the right is going with. It's like they have no women on campaign staff. Especially younger ones.

There's a massive generational difference in how this is seen.

80s: "She's a slut sleeping her way to the top."

00s: "He was her boss and much older than her. Very difficult to refuse."

Using a bunch of 80s arguments with women under about 60 is going to backfire spectacularly. What half successful or slightly ambitious woman hasn't faced accusations of being too ambitious or faced actual predation?

It's honestly the most entertaining thing to watch of this twist in their election. Lots of guys revealing themselves to their wives, sisters and daughters for the Neanderthals they are.

Can't say I saw it coming. But that completely unhinged and undisciplined reaction is marketing she could never buy and will absolutely benefit from. They could have made it about her record. Instead they jumped right to one of the core accusations that strikes a nerve with half the population.
At least in my case, I didn't allude to those specific details and don't necessarily see Kamala being shrewd and calculating as being an entirely negative thing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada