HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
You opened that argument up when you included the Golden Ears Bridge in a passive aggressive quip.

And if you want to be fair, you are only counting the years of the NDP until now, and currently no rail has been completed, you will need to include the years between now and their opening dates for a fair comparison. So at the very least be 11 years for 21.7KM of rail.

We will have to wait and see for phase 2 of the Broadway subway, which I have a feeling massive increases in the estimated budget may throw a wrench into plans (unless they do a sensible approach and reduce the subway segments and increase the elevated segments. UBC doesn't need it to be underground unless they are willing to pay for the excess cost over elevated rail).
Passive-aggressive? It's one random joke, and not even directed at you because you've made it very clear over the years that you're in Japan (i.e. nowhere near the bridge). Yeesh.

As I told chow, date of opening also means the Libs should get the credit (or rather, the blame) for the original abysmal Millennium Line... but that wouldn’t be fair to Campbell when it was Harcourt or Glen Clark’s idea. If you're counting on the NDP winning this year and sitting on their butts and/or being denied by the feds until '28, then yes, that would be reasonable.

UBC's agreed to pay for part of it; how big a part, nobody knows yet. As for elevation, if you'll navigate down to Page 136, you'll find that apparently a viaduct through the UEL only saves BC $20m/km and $50m/station ($150m at most), and there's no way they're doing one for Greektown, so the savings aren't as high as you'd think.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Passive-aggressive? It's one random joke, and not even directed at you because you've made it very clear over the years that you're in Japan (i.e. nowhere near the bridge). Yeesh.

As I told chow, date of opening also means the Libs should get the credit (or rather, the blame) for the original abysmal Millennium Line... but that wouldn’t be fair to Campbell when it was Harcourt or Glen Clark’s idea. If you're counting on the NDP winning this year and sitting on their butts and/or being denied by the feds until '28, then yes, that would be reasonable.

UBC's agreed to pay for part of it; how big a part, nobody knows yet. As for elevation, if you'll navigate down to Page 136, you'll find that apparently a viaduct through the UEL only saves BC $20m/km and $50m/station ($150m at most), and there's no way they're doing one for Greektown, so the savings aren't as high as you'd think.
As a fun side note when the Golden Ears was built I was still living in the area, and actually worked at Hammond Cedar Mills (was a university student at the time and that was a great part time job, sadly the mill is closed now) where I was able to watch the entire construction process up close. That was a pretty exciting project to watch.

I am legitimately worried at how goofy budgets might balloon (due to both external and internal factors) for all upcoming projects.

Even if it only would save $150 million, I would want UBC to be responsible for that extra cost.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 2:04 AM

And now I know that. Sorry if it felt like a personal attack?

Well, the SkyTrain budgets usually balloon in the planning stage, but if they say "$3.9 billion" at the time of actual construction, they're pretty good at sticking to $3.9 billion. It's the schedule that's subject to creep.

By all means. It's a line meant for them, after all.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 2:14 AM

Oh, don't worry, I didn't take that as a personal attack at all. Was just a fun jogging of the memory.

Well, I do hope it gets started sooner rather than later (not just for the completion of the extension itself, but also the sooner that moves forward, the sooner the purple Line has a chance) because as history keeps showing us, prices just go up and up the longer we wait.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post

The superior period for transportation projects in the province is obvious, but spin away!
You're comparing 16 years of BC Liberals with 7 years of BC NDP. Hardly a fair comparison. With the first 7 years of the BC Liberals we had only the Canada Line underway, the Evergreen Line was far in the future, whereas now there is an equally sized amount of rail going in after 7 years of the BC NDP. And who knows, UBCx or the Purline Line might be a campaign promise.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
You're comparing 16 years of BC Liberals with 7 years of BC NDP. Hardly a fair comparison. With the first 7 years of the BC Liberals we had only the Canada Line underway, the Evergreen Line was far in the future, whereas now there is an equally sized amount of rail going in after 7 years of the BC NDP. And who knows, UBCx or the Purline Line might be a campaign promise.
The BC libs definitely lose here due to the waste of time and effort on the translink tax plebiscite in 2015. We had a plan that had been years in the making with consensus from mayors and city halls, only to generate a lot of ill will with a plebicite. When it lost, IMO it set transit planning back years.

https://web.archive.org/web/20240511...anslinktax.ca/

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 5:31 PM

Let's stop the political finger pointing, especially as it's unrelated to the thread.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 1:35 AM

Interesting read, great job guys!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 3:16 AM

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

YouTube user @metrovancouverconstruction has new station videos for each station.

Anyways, as seen in the videos, still lots of work to do.

Last edited by Jimbo604; Jul 16, 2024 at 4:26 PM. Reason: Adding additional video links

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 2:59 AM

[ station.

Anyways, as seen in the videos, still lots of work to do.[/QUOTE]

Yes, lots of work to do ... and ...

NOBODY doing it .

Where are the workers?

Answer ... not being paid since the governments are diverting the money elsewhere.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that is no good.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooknose View Post
station.

Anyways, as seen in the videos, still lots of work to do.

Yes, lots of work to do ... and ...

NOBODY doing it .

Where are the workers?

Answer ... not being paid since the governments are diverting the money elsewhere.

My opinion, for what it is worth, is that is no good.
What do you expect for someone filming on a Sunday?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:41 PM

Does anyone have a source for the regular work hours of this project?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Does anyone have a source for the regular work hours of this project?
Seems to sort of follow this schedule. They'll post notices when it's after hours.

Quote:
Regular work hours are from Monday to Saturday from 6 m. until 10 p.m. There may be occasional work on Sunday and holidays.
Night work hours are from 10 pm. to 12 a.m. and will continue through spring 2024.
https://www.broadwaysubway.ca/constr.../current-work/

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 7:40 PM

Thanks, Jolly.

Those are the stated hours but I wonder if they are actually working today (a Saturday).. I'll try to have a look if I go by a station. Anyone else going by?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2024, 1:30 AM

I do go by to check the Broadway Subway Project on how they are doing in person, seeing their Facebook and their website on their current work. But they may not be working on a Saturday as typical as always. They work between Monday-Friday regularly.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2024, 2:47 AM

One figures that working weekends significantly increases the cost, no? I'm guessing "behind schedule and over-budget" is even worse PR.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2024, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
One figures that working weekends significantly increases the cost, no? I'm guessing "behind schedule and over-budget" is even worse PR.
Seemed like that's what they were doing last month for station construction.

Quote:
Crews are intermittently working at night to install rebar, conduct utility work, install shoring, and prepare for concrete pours.
Night work takes place 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Night work is continuing for:
Crane work periodically through July 2024; and
Rebar installation, Sunday to Friday through August 2024.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2024, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seemed like that's what they were doing last month for station construction.
That could still be a five-day week, as the first shift would start Sunday night at 10 PM and the last shift would end Friday morning at 6 AM.

Old Posted Today, 6:47 AM

Quote:
This section of tunnel is where the SkyTrain transitions from the elevated guideway to the underground station.

Crews have completed the concrete base to allow for the track installation. This final layer, called the track slab, will have tracks installed on top of it.

From Broadway Subway Project https://twitter.com/broadwaysubway_/...77506390061162

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure