HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 5:26 PM

I F@CKING hate that proposal. Leave that building alone.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:51 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
Designated building retained, a few more storeys taller, more vertical set-backs to address flight path issues etc.

UT

Not sure that's what I'd call "retained".

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:23 PM
I am the law!

Makes a mockery of designated structures in the name of a couple dozen affordable housing units. No one would agree with retained if this was a more storied designated building like Canada Life or Old City Hall. I don't think Toronto has different levels of heritage designation. It's designated and listed.

This looks more expensive that a ground up tower. I can't see this being built anytime soon. This approval should allow them to convert the office tower whenever that makes sense and without the addition.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:46 PM

494 Richmond Street East | 146m+ | 45s | Colonia Treuhand | Sweeny&Co l Resubmission

Ten storey jump for the tallest tower from 119 metres and 35 storeys to 45 storeys @146 metres (plus mech penthouse makes this + 150m+ ;-). The other 2 buildings shrunk to 12 storeys @ 47 metres and 4 storeys @17 metres.

3D

3D

EDITED FOR CLARITY

Future GIGA-cluster model in the pipeline for Don Mills.

steveve

Last edited by Maldive; Today at 1:22 AM. Reason: clarity

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post

Future mega-cluster model in the pipeline for Don Mills.
What exactly is a mega-cluster??

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
What exactly is a mega-cluster??
A third world development pattern where you build a whole bunch of mostly cheap commie bloc apartments near a distant transit stop.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:53 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
A third world development pattern where you build a whole bunch of mostly cheap commie bloc apartments near a distant transit stop.
Other than maybe that weird Waterloo proposal that everyone projectile-vomited over, I'm not sure I can even think of any commie blocks built or proposed in Ontario in the last 20 years. I certainly don't see any being proposed for this development.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM
Midtowner since 2K

The closest thing to commie blocks thats gone up in recent memory is all the dreck near Wonderland Road in London. (from my understanding)
2009:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.98631...5409&entry=ttu
2022:
https://www.google.ca/maps/@42.98630...5409&entry=ttu

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Other than maybe that weird Waterloo proposal that everyone projectile-vomited over, I'm not sure I can even think of any commie blocks built or proposed in Ontario in the last 20 years. I certainly don't see any being proposed for this development.
Sorry glass covered commie blocs. I meant more the size. The soviets provided something like 150 Sq Ft per person and we are starting to push that with 350 square feet shoeboxes that even couples are buying now.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post

I do not see any U/C or proposed Commie Blocks, also this location is a great place transit-wise for more mass development. This has more going for it than most transit-oriented developments. And Fairview Mall is actually a decent mall if you like malls.

Old Posted Today, 12:19 AM
I am the law!

More than a million persons per square kilometre with the one and only window in the unit staring directly into another unit. That's a mega-cluster.

The three cross shaped condo commie blocks beside this pink mega cluster look homey by comparison. Commie block isn't an insult. It's an upgrade.

Next post will mention this intense tower cluster is needed because of all the elitist single family subdivisions around it. Is there anything more commie sounding than that?

Old Posted Today, 1:14 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
More than a million persons per square kilometre with the one and only window in the unit staring directly into another unit. That's a mega-cluster.

The three cross shaped condo commie blocks beside this pink mega cluster look homey by comparison. Commie block isn't an insult. It's an upgrade.

Next post will mention this intense tower cluster is needed because of all the elitist single family subdivisions around it. Is there anything more commie sounding than that?
If that last part is directed at my then you won't get any disagreement here. That kind of stark inequality (in this case of land use) can definitely lead to class-based frustration.

Although I can't agree that the older buildings seem more homey. If anything, tower-in-the-park developments set back from the street and surrounded by surface parking and empty space might actually be less homey. That stuff doesn't feel like a city because of the barren, windswept landscape, they don't feel like a traditional suburb because of the large multi-unit buildings, and they certainly don't feel rural because the land is all mowed lawn rather than natural or interesting vegetation. For all the criticism that highrise clusters get, at least they can feel like actual places.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada