HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:52 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandbagger View Post
A little bit more info released today from Quest on their Keith Road land development, including what I believe is the first rendering. It will be called Origine Village and will feature several types of developments from townhouses to 7-storey apartment buildings.

Press release here:
https://questproperties.ca/2024/06/1...s-development/
There is now a mini-tower crane mounted in the extreme northeast corner of this development site. This is a surprise. I was not expecting anything beyond land prep until the fall.

Probably Building "I".

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 21, 2024 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:41 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
NIMBY opposition is beginning to marshall!!

They interviewed a member of the local irate citizenry on CBC Radio this evening. He said they were beginning to organize. In his rebuttal, he said something to the effect that "there's no way a five storey apartment building belongs here! Not between the cemetery and my house!! There's lots of forest out there between Dieppe and Memramcook. He should build this building out there!!!". I was driving home at the time, and couldn't help bursting out in solitary laughter. NIMBYism at it's best (worst)!!!

I reserve judgement about the appropriateness of this development in that particular location. The trees on site are truly some of the nicest trees in Dieppe, and, the lot has a park-like atmosphere. I have some sympathy with the enraged citizenry, but I would like to see exactly what the developer has in mind, and what he can do to preserve the mature trees on the property.
'This is not Hong Kong': Residents oppose apartment near cemetery
Dieppe residents say a five-storey apartment building on Amirault Street would mean the loss of 100-year-old trees
Author of the article:Sarah Seeley
Published Jun 20, 2024 • Last updated 15 hours ago • 4 minute read
https://tj.news/moncton-miramichi/th...-near-cemetery (paywall)

T&T photo

Quote:
Some Dieppe residents are worried a proposed 152-unit apartment next to a local cemetery will mean the loss of century-old trees and more traffic in the area.

The five-storey building is proposed for the former site of the Archdiocese of Moncton, at 452 Amirault Street. The land is next to the Our Lady of Calvary Cemetery.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 12:00 PM

I feel like people instantly hurt their case with hyperbolic comments like "this isnt Hong Kong". When I hear something to that effect I already know there isnt going to be any sort of reasonable conversation or compromise to be found.

I mean, if he wants to invoke China and likes trees perhaps he could propose to implement some of the ideas that are in this forest city in Liuzhou which is under development

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:

This image from the Quest website showing the footprint and location of Balade (with relation to Promenade Neuf) also shows the empty lot across the street where I presume Le Marki will be built:

There was activity at this location today. An Excavator is now on location and the tower crane was operating briefly. I assume it mightve just been a test to make sure everything operates correctly since it has been sitting idle for nearly two years.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 10:17 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
There is now a mini-tower crane mounted in the extreme northeast corner of this development site. This is a surprise. I was not expecting anything beyond land prep until the fall.

Probably Building "I".
Correction - I drove by today to have a closer look. The mini tower crane is for a small apartment building on Murray Avenue next to, but not a part of the Origine Village development.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J81 View Post
There was activity at this location today. An Excavator is now on location and the tower crane was operating briefly. I assume it mightve just been a test to make sure everything operates correctly since it has been sitting idle for nearly two years.
I drove by today. This is very definitely now an active construction site. Lots of men in yellow vests and hard hats wandering around, and, it was obvious the excavator had been busy.

Also, the recently cleared lot on the NE corner of Melanson/Dieppe Blvd, is starting to undergo site prep. This is obviously going to be for a substantial apartment building, but, there has been radio silence as to what is planned here, and, no renders have surfaced.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
There are quite a few projects happening in this area at the moment:

1. This lot is newly cleared as mentioned.
2. Clearing has started on what will be a new street opposite of Aucoin.
3. Clearing was done on this lot last fall and site prep is now underway for what looks like an apartment building. Unclear if the new street will link up to this but it would make sense.
4. There are two decently large foundations poured here. Unlikely the are houses or even townhouses. I assume these are 2 new apartment buildings.
5. Construction is wrapping up on a 3 floor building (looks like 12 units).
6. The large development you posted on Melanson.

Plus just beyond this map to the south east is the new Quest Ekinox building which is wrapping up.
A bit of an update to this:

The clearing opposite of Aucoin St is now much more than just a street extension. There is substantial clearing happening to the south of the street entrance. It doesn't go all the way up to the NW corner of Melanson (at least not yet), but it's a fairly large clearing.

Also you can't see it in the image, but just to the south of Doiron St, they have extended Pierre St. up to Elsiger where the fire station is. This is now completed and paved, and opens up some lots for some single family homes, likely.

And a bit to the north of this, they have begun installing traffic lights on Dieppe Blvd/Marathon Cr.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Also you can't see it in the image, but just to the south of Doiron St, they have extended Pierre St. up to Elsiger where the fire station is. This is now completed and paved, and opens up some lots for some single family homes, likely.
This is what is planned for across from the fire station:

Quote:
This is new:

This is apparently what is planned for the recently cleared land on the west side of the Dieppe Blvd extension, just across the street from the Dieppe Blvd fire station. (found on Realtor.ca)

The impressive densification of Dieppe Blvd continues..............
A bit more dense than SFH.

Dieppe Blvd is a major cross town arterial (at least it is becoming one). The entire length of the street will be high density residential, commercial, institutional and some industrial. There are some SFH which are closely adjacent, but this is definitely the minority.

Doeppe Blvd is the most unique street in the entire metro area.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jun 26, 2024 at 2:04 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
And a bit to the north of this, they have begun installing traffic lights on Dieppe Blvd/Marathon Cr.
Really! I didn't notice that the other day.

To be honest, given the rapid densification of this corridor, I think at some point soon, they will have to look at increasing capacity on Dieppe Blvd. It can get quite congested at times, especially rush hour. Thankfull they have space for road widening where necessary.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:

To be honest, given the rapid densification of this corridor, I think at some point soon, they will have to look at increasing capacity on Dieppe Blvd. It can get quite congested at times, especially rush hour. Thankfull they have space for road widening where necessary.
Be glad you're not in Saint John. Faced with a similar issue they'd probably remove a lane and install bike lanes instead........you know, for the 3 people a day that would use them.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:01 PM

Quote:

Once you get past the lights at Lakeburn Ave, traffic goes at a pretty good clip along Dieppe Blvd as there aren't many entrances/exits to slow traffic after that. A lot of people also use that little easement thing in front of the golf course to hop from Golf St onto Dieppe Blvd, so I can see why this makes sense. Also I don't think there's a single crosswalk currently from Lakeburn all the way to Melanson which is an issue, especially with the school just up the way.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Be glad you're not in Saint John. Faced with a similar issue they'd probably remove a lane and install bike lanes instead........you know, for the 3 people a day that would use them.
Moncton has done that in the past also. Shediac road and Salisbury road come to mind immediately.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 4:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

mmmatt has released a bunch of images from a construction phototour that he did around the metro area on Retail Talk & Share.

Here are a couple of Dieppe images I thought I would also share here:

Original rendering.

They topped off this six storey building at the corner of College & Champlain about two months ago, and subsequently removed the tower crane, But, I never got around to taking a photo to document it. mmmatt has saved me the trouble.

Current status of the new Superstore on Dieppe Blvd. It should be opening in about six weeks or so.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:21 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage is being installed for the Boulevard Kitchen & Grill at the Fox Creek Golf Course clubhouse off of Dieppe Blvd.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 1:59 PM

Ok I'm going to bite at this one.

As someone who got rid of second car and now commutes by bike I can comment on bike lanes. Bikes don't cause congestion - cars cause congestion. There is still plenty of room for cars.

Biggest issues with Salisbury road and Shediac road bike lanes - they don't go anywhere. Or rather, they dump you out on main roads so less confident cyclists will not feel comfortable using them.

Harrisville has a good opportunity to connect the Shediac road bike lanes to Dieppe or to the Humphrey brook trail but doesn't. Salisbury road bike lane dumps out onto the traffic circle, your average cyclist is not going to be comfortable going through there to get to the Riverview trail system.

It's like building a bridge with no middle and wondering where all the people are that should be using it.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 2:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Salisbury Road problem is actually pretty easy to solve (reposted from the [Moncton] Active Transportation thread):

Just build a pedestrian/bicycle bridge paralleling the CNR overpass over the Causeway Traffic Circle.

I think the dog bone interchange crossing Veterans Highway between Harrisville Blvd and Dieppe Blvd might be a tougher nut to crack. Traffic circles are not bicycle or pedestrian friendly.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 14, 2024 at 4:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 6:39 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are starting to put the signage on the new Superstore on Dieppe Blvd.

There were a ridiculous number of contractors trucks in the parking lot today. I'd say about 30. The final push must be going on.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 22, 2024 at 6:51 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces