HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 10:42 PM

In Kelowna currently, impressed with how fast this city is growing, more towers under construction here than in Calgary I think. Some of the buildings look great, the one on Bernard where the crane collapsed is a bit disappointing.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 11:26 PM
be nice to the crackheads

I just got back yesterday, and yeah, it's booming right now. I'm liking how Movala is turning out next to Gyro Beach,

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
I just got back yesterday, and yeah, it's booming right now. I'm liking how Movala is turning out next to Gyro Beach,
Sat at the patio at Shoreline brewing recently, the whole area has such a different vibe now, and will only get better as the developments complete.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Sat at the patio at Shoreline brewing recently, the whole area has such a different vibe now, and will only get better as the developments complete.
Totally.

Driving north on Lakeshore looks completely different with Movala bookending the street before it turns.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:53 PM

10 Storey "tower" proposed on Pandosy St. Details in link below.

https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Dev...02606-2696.pdf

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 10:19 PM

Really nice to see 26 3 bedroom units.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
Really nice to see 26 3 bedroom units.
That popped out at me as well, so nice to see! I like the project but wish they had done something different with the townhouse portion.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:05 AM

Investors are gone and the market is discovering what end users want. This is happening in Vancouver as well, but given all the airbnb purchases in Kelowna, I imagine the pivot will be evem more dramatic there, yoward larger unit sizes.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 6:38 PM

Hi Everyone, I just recently moved here from Halifax and am looking forward to getting involved with the Kelowna forum. I was typically a lurker in the Halifax threads but am going to try and contribute more here. Is there any common tool used here to track ongoing projects? In the Halifax forum, each development had an individual thread. I'd love to upload some progress pics of nearby developments - just need to know what they are and where to upload them. The city is beautiful and I love seeing all the active developments underway!

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 7:07 AM

Just drove by over the weekend. Kelowna from the west shore is unrecognizable from when I was last there in the summer in 2017. Really exciting to imagine what the skyline will look like in 2030.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreeb View Post
Hi Everyone, I just recently moved here from Halifax and am looking forward to getting involved with the Kelowna forum. I was typically a lurker in the Halifax threads but am going to try and contribute more here. Is there any common tool used here to track ongoing projects? In the Halifax forum, each development had an individual thread. I'd love to upload some progress pics of nearby developments - just need to know what they are and where to upload them. The city is beautiful and I love seeing all the active developments underway!
Welcome to Kelowna!

This thread is the catch-all for Kelowna developments, so it's better to just ask about a certain project here, and I'm sure someone will have an answer for you.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMi View Post

I really like this one.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jreeb View Post

developkelowna.ca/ is a pretty good resource. It's fairly up to date, and has a nice map view now.

https://arcg.is/1mHKqC0 is another cool resource, showing block models of each new building downtown. This one is managed by the city, so it's usually up to date.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:11 AM

I was at Gyro beach this weekend. It was crowded and there was no parking. Took us 45 minutes of circling the area to get a spot. I had a conversation about this with a friend and he said there will never be more beach parking because the city doesn’t want people to drive, instead find alternative ways to get to the beach. With that being said, every second car was out of province. So why has the city not pushed for more hotel space down in that area? If they don’t want people driving/parking at the beach, and Kelowna is a “tourist” town, why are there so few hotels near beaches? Is there anything in the works, if anyone has heard any rumours from the grapevine? This new residential building on Pandosy would have been an excellent spot for a hotel. Kind of a wasted opportunity. Tourist destinations should have accommodations near tourist spots.

I understand we need more housing but these aren’t going to be affordable by any means, and hotels bring in a great deal on $$ for the economy.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 2:28 PM

AirBnBs are probably the single biggest culprit to the lack of new hotels being built in BC. Why invest tens of millions of dollars building and staffing a hotel when any Dick or Jane can rent out their investment condo as a perpetual short term rental moneymaker? With primary short term rental condos becoming a thing of the past, hopefully we'll see a shift to more hotel units around the city.

I agree. There needs to be a couple of hotels in the Pandosy/Gyro Beach area.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:42 PM
Project manger

GIALLO,
I agree with you 100% on the cause for the lack of Hotels.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:11 PM

Time to increase the cost of parking in the meantime. And yes there needs to be a few hotels there. Easily the best beach in the city. We're going next month but we will have our bicycles, maybe park closer to Prospera Place where there is an abundance of parking and ride to Gyro.

It would be nice if the bike share companies had wagon bikes available with room for cargo and a seat(s) for little ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMi View Post

Nice project overall. Unfortunately it involves tearing down existing buildings -- even if they are strip mall types -- yet the surface parking lots directly north and south will remain.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 6:25 PM

The Shore building, right on the Gyro beach was kinda an unofficial hotel, renting great apartments for tourists.

But with the short-term rental rules, it is now GONE.

https://theshorekelowna.com/vacation-notice/

Of course, I agree with the fact that more hotels are needed, but I am skeptical that forbidding Airbnb will help this in the short run, interest rates and construction costs still make it not possible to build.

Only 2 small hotels are proposed now, none in downtown.
https://developkelowna.ca/projects/proposed/hotels

3 hotels - CANCELED, all downtown:
https://developkelowna.ca/projects/hold/hotels

The only other possible hotel in downtown was the Water St by the Park 3rd tower, but so far it is unknown what they will build there and when. With the rates going down, more options will open up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repthe250 View Post
I was at Gyro beach this weekend. It was crowded and there was no parking. Took us 45 minutes of circling the area to get a spot. I had a conversation about this with a friend and he said there will never be more beach parking because the city doesn’t want people to drive, instead find alternative ways to get to the beach. With that being said, every second car was out of province. So why has the city not pushed for more hotel space down in that area? If they don’t want people driving/parking at the beach, and Kelowna is a “tourist” town, why are there so few hotels near beaches? Is there anything in the works, if anyone has heard any rumours from the grapevine? This new residential building on Pandosy would have been an excellent spot for a hotel. Kind of a wasted opportunity. Tourist destinations should have accommodations near tourist spots.

I understand we need more housing but these aren’t going to be affordable by any means, and hotels bring in a great deal on $$ for the economy.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck94 View Post
developkelowna.ca/ is a pretty good resource. It's fairly up to date, and has a nice map view now.

https://arcg.is/1mHKqC0 is another cool resource, showing block models of each new building downtown. This one is managed by the city, so it's usually up to date.
These are great - thank you!!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 12:51 AM

According to a recent post on Reddit, Kelowna has the highest number of high rises per capita (10 stories or more) under construction across Canada and the USA!
(per capita is listed bottom right)

It's not perfect, the poster has already made several corrections (including to the Kelowna) stat. Regardless, this is a very good indicator of the incredible development happening in Kelowna, especially for its size.

Updated Map as of the time of this post

Full credit to u/LivinAWestLife on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyscrapers...ty_have_under/

Last edited by kanuck94; Jul 25, 2024 at 3:11 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia