HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 7:08 AM

I had the unfortunate experience of flying Air India from Delhi to Vancouver(my company booked it not me). Seats broken, overhead luggage flew open during take off, restrooms haven’t been cleaned in 20 years, they still have cigarette ash trays, 14hr flight and all in flight entertainment was broken. Anything that was plastic was cracked.

I highly recommend avoiding flying Air India at all costs lol

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver_Highrise View Post
I had the unfortunate experience of flying Air India from Delhi to Vancouver(my company booked it not me). Seats broken, overhead luggage flew open during take off, restrooms haven’t been cleaned in 20 years, they still have cigarette ash trays, 14hr flight and all in flight entertainment was broken. Anything that was plastic was cracked.

I highly recommend avoiding flying Air India at all costs lol
I also have heard bad reports about flying Air India, largely citing the same negatives you did, (decrepit and dirty). Unfortunately, until the Russia-Ukraine war is resolved, Air Canada cannot fly that route.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
YVR-FLL new route 1x weekly
Haven't Westjet taken a run at YVR-FLL a few times now? Or am I getting them mixed up with Sunwing or something along those lines?

Either way, they're going to be in tough with AC running YVR-MIA 6xPW this winter.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Haven't Westjet taken a run at YVR-FLL a few times now? Or am I getting them mixed up with Sunwing or something along those lines?

Either way, they're going to be in tough with AC running YVR-MIA 6xPW this winter.
FLL was already announced back in May

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 6:08 PM

Hmm maybe that is what I was thinking about, but I do recall a short lived FLL route a couple years or maybe more back. Might have been Sunwing? Or Transat?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm maybe that is what I was thinking about, but I do recall a short lived FLL route a couple years or maybe more back. Might have been Sunwing? Or Transat?
TS flew YVR-FLL with A321neo one winter, 2x weekly

This was along with flying to PUJ, LIR, SJO using the same plane, before pandemic hits.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 9:35 PM

Ahh ya that's probably what I'm remembering. Thanks!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 12:26 AM

Korean Air increasing up to 11x weekly.

Quote:
Korean Air on Wednesday (24JUL24) to adjust planned North America operations for Northern winter 2024/25 season, effective 27OCT24 – 29MAR25. The following changes are based on the airline's travel agents bulletin published on Tuesday 23JUL24.

Seoul Incheon – Vancouver eff 28OCT24 Increase from 10 weekly in summer to 11 weekly, 787-9 (This route previously filed 7 weekly in winter season)
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240724-kenw24na

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 1:30 AM

When might we get a route into South America? Years back, Johnny Aussie stated he was on a plane with surprisingly high O/D passengers. THere is a substantial South American demographic in the city now. South America (LIM, BOG, GRU...) have been talked about for years. Any chance they will come onstream?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
When might we get a route into South America? Years back, Johnny Aussie stated he was on a plane with surprisingly high O/D passengers. THere is a substantial South American demographic in the city now. South America (LIM, BOG, GRU...) have been talked about for years. Any chance they will come onstream?
That would be amazing. One day, hopefully. Few times I've been to SA it's been such a hassle going through DFW/IAH/etc...

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakafi_81 View Post
Korean Air increasing up to 11x weekly.
Not knowing anything about this route, but on airline trackers I'm really surprised to see so many airlines that service Seoul. What's the attraction? Honest question, and not a jab.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Not knowing anything about this route, but on airline trackers I'm really surprised to see so many airlines that service Seoul. What's the attraction? Honest question, and not a jab.
Seoul Incheon ICN , South Korea is a good connection airport to other parts of Asia & is price attractive to VFR/ Leisure travellers & plus a good tourist destination too✅!!

Last year in end of 2023, my family & I connected through ICN on our way to Southern China. We did Edmonton YEG- Vancouver YVR- ICN- Hong Kong HKG & then into China. On the way back to Canada,a similar route.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
Seoul Incheon ICN , South Korea is a good connection airport to other parts of Asia & is price attractive to VFR/ Leisure travellers & plus a good tourist destination too✅!!

Last year in end of 2023, my family & I connected through ICN on our way to Southern China. We did Edmonton YEG- Vancouver YVR- ICN- Hong Kong HKG & then into China. On the way back to Canada,a similar route.
Ditto that, I did a YVR-ICN-MNL and back about 30 people along with me were connecting onwards to MNL on KE62.

Very interesting to see I wonder what this news means for T’way. We would then have 1 daily AC, 11x weekly KE, and allegedly (4x weekly?) TW. And within striking distance you have WS on YYC-ICN.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanosaurus13 View Post
Ditto that, I did a YVR-ICN-MNL and back about 30 people along with me were connecting onwards to MNL on KE62.

Very interesting to see I wonder what this news means for T’way. We would then have 1 daily AC, 11x weekly KE, and allegedly (4x weekly?) TW. And within striking distance you have WS on YYC-ICN.
Yea, I'm curious if this affects the viability of T'way expanding into YVR at all.

As for the desirability of connecting in ICN, Seoul Incheon had a long term plan to position themselves as a gateway to Asia and its really worked out for them.

Go back about 1 or 2 decades and Japan was one of the default gateways for connections into Asia from North America but for reasons such as overcapacity, and Delta/United (the major players in Tokyo) changing their fleet and route strategies for Asia.

In came Seoul with their brand new, designed for connections Airport and traffic shifted away from Japan and toward Seoul. Their location is pretty ideal, located not too far from the circle-route across the Pacific. Surely, the ease of connections and the visa-free connections are also a big part of this success.

On a more granular level, ICN really embraces the transfer/connection aspect with entire purpose built quiet zones outfitted with sleeper chairs that are accessible to everyone. For daytime connections, they offer free tours into the city. Connections with as little as 3 hours can participate in these tours.

Long story short, connecting in ICN is for the most part a very pleasant experience as the infrastructure is built to accommodate seamless connections.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 9:16 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the information. I didn't know Incheon was such a hub.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 10:36 PM

One of the largest, wealthiest cities in the world conveniently located on the Northern population edge of Asia.

Definitely a shoe-in to be a major hub.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2024, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teriyaki View Post
Yea, I'm curious if this affects the viability of T'way expanding into YVR at all.
I doubt it, Korean was already running 11xPW this summer and I'd bet T'way is more interested in summer business anyway.

I wonder if Korean will go to double daily S25 if winter at 11x can prove successful. That'd be 3 per day with the AC flight included, so less than Tokyo S24. Seems reasonably doable to me.

S25 could look like:

YVR-ICN
AC 7x77W - 2,800 seats
KE 14x789 - 3,766 seats
TW 3xA332 - 738 seats

Total: 7,304

Compared to Tokyo

YVR-TYO
AC 7x77W - 2,800 seats
NH 7x789 - 1,722
JL 7x788 - 1,442
ZP 5x788 - 1,450

Total: 7,414

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 1:33 AM

interesting little nugget today. among jetblues drastic route cuts announced for october is that seattle-jfk is going seasonal. opposite of yvr-jfk which just upgraded to A321 Mint. guess they got tired of competing against alaska and delta during offseason.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:30 AM
(daka_x)

That KAL might actually be an even bigger plane as of this winter, if we are to believe Prince of Travel, who are claiming that ICN-YVR will be KAL's first long haul route to get the new 787-10 (with new cabin) later this year.

More seats, more seats!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 6:35 AM

The end of construction is in sight for the new Plaza Premium International Lounge at YVR.
Would have loved to see some more renderings or sneak-construction pics.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/plaz...d-new-location

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure