HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a surprise.

I thought him a capable cabinet minister and a reliable performer. This is a big loss for JT.

The ship of state is getting increasingly leaky. Soon more rats will choose to flee...............

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:46 PM

O'Regan is a huge loss for the Liberals. I always thought he'd make a good leadership candidate. I don't think he'll ever be able to rid himself of his "friend of Trudeau" label though.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

This is a surprise.

I thought him a capable cabinet minister and a reliable performer. This is a big loss for JT.

The ship of state is getting increasingly leaky. Soon more rats will choose to flee...............
Yes, O'Regan has always been one of the few bright spots in Trudeau's cabinet.
He's a good communicator, always seems to know his portfolios well, has been scandal free, and is quite intelligent. The last point is more relevant now than ever............he's smart enough to know when to get out while the getting is good.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Strawman alert.
Austerity has arrived for anyone that has recently renewed their mortgage or will in the next two years.The Liberals have spent too much with nothing to show for it and all their economic plans are 18-24 months too late to help folks.
My God even Mulroney built the Bridge to P.E.I.. What will Trudeau's legacy be?

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Austerity has arrived for anyone that has recently renewed their mortgage or will in the next two years.The Liberals have spent too much with nothing to show for it and all their economic plans are 18-24 months too late to help folks.
Legalizing weed, Dental care for all, should be the carbon tax but we assume PP will axe it.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:48 PM

Quote:
The enormous rebuild of Parliament Hill?

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
For all the years of tories austerity and so called Trudeau overspending I don't think the UK ever had a smaller deficit to GDP than Canada in any year Trudeau was PM.
Canadian have gotten a lot out of our current federal government, ie, expanded child benefits, $10 dollar daycare, billions more into health spendings, national dental plan, massive transit expansions, even doubling the spending on the military from the Harper. The UK hasn't really seen any benefit from massive tory deficits.

here is 2022

It makes me laugh when people accuse the JT government of being big spenders yet fail to realize what is going on outside of Canada and often with governments that are supposedly conservative.

We really should be meeting the 2% of GDP for defence spending immediately. Why not also include some infrastructure projects as part of it?

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Legalizing weed, Dental care for all, should be the carbon tax but we assume PP will axe it.
The carbon tax will go. But this will remain:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Mountain_pipeline

This is one of the problems with JT's policies. He never built much that is enduring.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:47 PM

Quote:
I was talking about local transit specifically, which the US seems incapable of building right now. To me local transit is far more beneficial than HSR as many more people will use local transit than HSR. Florida HSR Brightline for example carries 7,000 people a day while the Yonge -University subways carries 670,000 people a day.
Quote:
If you remove Street cars and BRT and surface running LRT who have to stop at lights there is beardly any high-quality rail transit and BRT's in the US is just paint on road with 30-minute frequencies., not even true BRT as seen in South America.
Vancouver, Montral and Toronto for example are all building frequent automated metro lines.
It's trolling bad faith bullshit to start qualifying examples to fit your narrative.

We went from, "The Americans barely build anything, "Well, except for this and this and this."

I stand by earlier assertion on your misinformation efforts.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
The enormous rebuild of Parliament Hill?
Parliament was probably planned under Harper too (since someone above is giving Mulroney credit for the Confederation Bridge). In this sense, we can also put the Gordie Howe Bridge under Harper too then.

Trudeau can't even put "a livable Prime Ministerial Residence" on his checklist.

Old Posted Today, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
The carbon tax will go. But this will remain:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Mountain_pipeline

This is one of the problems with JT's policies. He never built much that is enduring.
History will likely show that Alberta (the land of anti-Liberalism), will have benefited the most from JT. He will have secured a major export channel for Alberta crude to markets in Asia bypassing the US.

As the US cracks down on trade with China this may well become even more critical to the Canadian oil sector than it is now. This may well be the only distribution channel Canada has to get oil to China.

I know, sad but true. JT (over the objection of British Columbia) has had us accept increased environmental risk to benefit a limited number in the Alberta oil sector. He will be punished in BC for that decision.

I don't think the carbon tax in BC or Quebec is going anywhere.

Old Posted Today, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
History will likely show that Alberta (the land of anti-Liberalism), will have benefited the most from JT. He will have secured a major export channel for Alberta crude to markets in Asia bypassing the US.

As the US cracks down on trade with China this may well become even more critical to the Canadian oil sector than it is now. This may well be the only distribution channel Canada has to get oil to China.

I know, sad but true. JT (over the objection of British Columbia) has had us accept increased environmental risk to benefit a limited number in the Alberta oil sector. He will be punished in BC for that decision.

I don't think the carbon tax in BC or Quebec is going anywhere.
The pipeline adds 600,000 barrels a day which is significant though not game change. With the cost overuns from Liberal wokenss and in fairness general inflation it won't end up being much cheaper than exporting by rail though it will be cheaper as you say to China. It will benefit us all not having as much going by rail and the extra income benefits us all as well.

Quebec barely has a carbon tax though they have excise taxes predating carbon.

BC is hard to predict. Aren't you headed for a new right wing government going to watch prices plummet in the rest of the country? Seems destined to fall as well though the revenue it brings in makes the decision more complicated.

Old Posted Today, 12:53 AM

Quote:
So he chose not to prosecute a recreational pursuit, Most Dental Professionals are not participating or only covering 40% of primary care ( that was the notice on my dentists office the other day),and the Carbon tax is literally going to be voted away.

I will give your boy these credits. He did not Kill the National Shipbuilding program, He survived the Trump administrations bullying and he rebuilt a very good chunk of your RCAF. That's the Organization TrueNorth works for every day. Gee all Federal responsibilities. That list is a collection of substantial policies.

Old Posted Today, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
The pipeline adds 600,000 barrels a day which is significant though not game change. With the cost overuns from Liberal wokenss and in fairness general inflation it won't end up being much cheaper than exporting by rail though it will be cheaper as you say to China. It will benefit us all not having as much going by rail and the extra income benefits us all as well.
We are going to have to wait to see how the relationship between the US and China pans out. As well as the US view on Canadian crude that transits the US. The US is energy sufficient and does not need out crude. Exactly how a Trump 2.0 government looks at all of this is a big question mark. Trans-mountain provides an alternative export path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Quebec barely has a carbon tax though they have excise taxes predating carbon.

BC is hard to predict. Aren't you headed for a new right wing government going to watch prices plummet in the rest of the country? Seems destined to fall as well though the revenue it brings in makes the decision more complicated.
BC carbon tax is for the most part returned as rebate.

Quote:
So he chose not to prosecute a recreational pursuit, Most Dental Professionals are not participating or only covering 40% of primary care ( that was the notice on my dentists office the other day),and the Carbon tax is literally going to be voted away.
Harper was deliberating holding back funds under the ship building program to ensure the budget remained balanced. That was pushing out delivery schedules and driving up total program costs in the process. But the optics looked better short term. The liberals have not played those games.

Quote:
I will give your boy these credits. He did not Kill the National Shipbuilding program, He survived the Trump administrations bullying and he rebuilt a very good chunk of your RCAF. That's the Organization TrueNorth works for every day. Gee all Federal responsibilities. That list is a collection of substantial policies.
Yes all true.

He also forced the provinces to come to terms with international students at the institutions that the accredit. The feds imposed limits on the number of foreign students and told the provinces they have to decide who the acceptance letters go out to. Forcing the provinces to come to terms with their responsibilities.

Here in BC post-secondary institutions are now capped at 30% foreign students. For the three major universities in the province they were always below that number. Some of the smaller institutions were a bit over. For example Kwantlen Polytechnic University was at 36%. They are now being forced to adjust.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...-total-9230235

Last edited by casper; Today at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Today, 4:34 AM

Quote:
The new Champlain Bridge in Montreal was built during JT's time as PM.

Old Posted Today, 5:12 AM

Quote:
They weren't running on austerity until recently. It was their post-COVID recovery plan. They went through how many PMs and now got turfed.
They’ve been “running on” austerity since the GFC.

Quote:
I don’t think dental care will last either. It’s also a bit much calling it dental care for all. Isnt it just dental care for boomers?

Old Posted Today, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
He also forced the provinces to come to terms with international students at the institutions that the accredit. The feds imposed limits on the number of foreign students and told the provinces they have to decide who the acceptance letters go out to. Forcing the provinces to come to terms with their responsibilities.

Here in BC post-secondary institutions are now capped at 30% foreign students. For the three major universities in the province they were always below that number. Some of the smaller institutions were a bit over. For example Kwantlen Polytechnic University was at 36%. They are now being forced to adjust.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...-total-9230235
His legacy is going to be dragging his feet to correct a problem that he created? We’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, aren’t we?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada