HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
This would be an awesome opportunity to convert those detached houses into interesting commercial spaces. I've seen this done in Ontario and turning a heritage home into a restaurant/pub, convinience store, clothing boutique or live/work space can add a lot of character to a neighbourhood. Think Kensington Market, but this has also been done in other cities across the province.
I don't think the Broadway Plan is envisioning that kind of conversion FWIW.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
The likeliest outcome is a 2525 Carolina Street or a 2421 Yew Street.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Yes it does not envision that as the plan stands, although eventually the orphaned lots will need to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
The likeliest outcome is a 2525 Carolina Street or a 2421 Yew Street.
Such as the orphaned lot left by 2421 Yew Street at the corner of 8th and Yew. That would eventually make for a great conversion into a small scale retail property.

These are great examples of retaining heritage structures without impeding development, but still don't fully deal with the orphaned lot issue.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Yes it does not envision that as the plan stands, although eventually the orphaned lots will need to be addressed.
I think they'll just force them to build low-scale housing but I guess if other towers on their block don't incorporate retail it might make a case for some limited retail in non-apartment redevelopments.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Such as the orphaned lot left by 2421 Yew Street at the corner of 8th and Yew. That would eventually make for a great conversion into a small scale retail property.

These are great examples of retaining heritage structures without impeding development, but still don't fully deal with the orphaned lot issue.
Looking at the RM-4 zone, that doesn't look to be allowed, but might be a possibility if changes are made to the Official Development Plan in 2026. Might also be the case residential is still more profitable. Neighbourhood grocery store is only real commercial discretionary use for RM-4.

Also not sure if the retail density bonus would be enough as if you lose the 1st floor to retail you can't usually make up or it if you can go beyond level 6 (concrete build). Not sure what the condo market would be for 6-8 storey in the area. Like if the market is wanting concrete in the area then maybe a few extra floors would still work.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:54 PM

A neighbourhood grocery store is practically a restaurant/Cafe (e.g. Mercado di Luigi, Wilder Snail, Mighty Oak, Marche St George, Federal Store. etc). I could see these being popular.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
A neighbourhood grocery store is practically a restaurant/Cafe (e.g. Mercado di Luigi, Wilder Snail, Mighty Oak, Marche St George, Federal Store. etc). I could see these being popular.
Every one of these is an absolute gem and I wish we had more of them in the city. I lived near Eighth and Yew and this would be a good place for one of those. Maybe give Arbutus Coffee some healthy competition too.

Old Posted Today, 2:12 AM

Seizure warning for Kits NIMBYs.

Quote:
2158-2170 W 1st Ave rezoning application

The City of Vancouver has received an application to rezone the subject site from RM-4 (Residential) District to CD-1 (Comprehensive Development) District. The proposal is to allow for the development of a 20-storey mixed-use rental building with a 4-storey podium and includes:

185 units with 20% of the floor area for below-market units;
Commercial space on the ground floor;
A floor space ratio (FSR) of 6.8; and
A building height of 64.6 m (212 ft.) with additional height for rooftop amenity space.
https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/2158-2170-w-1-ave

It's a Millennium Property Development project so it's not a placeholder project. Kind of odd looking for a Chris Dikeakos project but probably one of the more interesting applications so far for infill.

https://www.millenniumdevelopment.co...folio/featured

Old Posted Today, 2:34 AM

City Hall Watch on suicide watch

Old Posted Today, 5:51 AM

I mean, they should've seen it coming - there's already an entire cluster of towers just a block down the street.

Old Posted Today, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csbvan View Post
Dunno about that - AFAIK those were purpose-built corner stores.

A better example might be Casa Molina on Manitoba, and that one's a little cramped.

Old Posted Today, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
I mean, they should've seen it coming - there's already an entire cluster of towers just a block down the street.
But those were all built in the 1970s (?) when the NIMBYs decided that towers didn't fit Kitsilano and they hated the West End.

https://www.reillywood.com/blog/west-end/

Some software developer made a map of all the building development in the 1960-1980 which is kind of interesting to see how much of that housing stock was built in that time period.

https://mountainmath.ca/map/assessment?filter=[years_1960_1979]&zoom=15&lat=49.2794&lng=-123.1294&layer=5&mapBase=2

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver