HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:05 PM

Glad we made it deep, but like England, it wasn't all that impressive. CNMT only won 1 out of 6 matches. That lone win was with a man advantage, and the first half when it was 11v11, Peru outplayed us. However, yes, we did show quality that was a step above generations past. Basically, didn't look out of place. That's an important step.

While England made it to the final, they won 2 out 7 games in regulation. Their other win was AET, which only got there because they scored a last minute tying goal. On the flip side, Spain, which had nowhere near the star power of the past, went 7-0 and managed to beat the likes of Italy, Croatia, Germany, France and England. Spain, like Italy the last time, played the best football despite not having a top 3 roster.

This CA did indeed show some good quality, but the tournament itself is not all that serious. It flip flops all the time with its frequency. It invites teams that are not in their continent. One thing to invite teams in the Americas, but they've also brought in Japan and Qatar before. The reffing was shambolic, as usual. There were mulitple crowd incidents (though this happens at EU and WC). And they went straight to PKs after regular time, but on a whim decided to change that before the final, just for the final.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:51 PM

I was in Ottawa checking out some properties we lend on. Across the street I noticed this. Hadn't actually thought about where Canada Soccer is HQ'd, but Ottawa makes sense. What did surpise me was that it's basically in a house office. I kind of pictured it would be in an office building, but like loft style on the fringe of a city's downtown. Like a Liberty Village or Yonge/Bloor in Toronto. This is indeed on the fringe though.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the US and yup, same style. In Chicago.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samne View Post
Really proud of our Mens Team. What an amazing tournament. Finally a legit team that can match up and play any other side. The most athletic, skilled and cohesive Team Canada I’ve ever seen. Big props to Coach Marsch. They are young and hungry and set up nicely for 2026.

As an aside. Copa America itself was great and right up there with Euros for quality and prestige.
Prestige I'm not so sure, it certainly has the heritage going for it but the pool is small. But I do think if they bring the top 4-6 teams of CONCACAF to it every edition it'll make for a good tournament. Outside of Bolivia and Jamaica no other team that played was a total joke. Really hope they do it again for 2028.

Old Posted Today, 3:37 AM

Thumbs up

Happy 50th Anniversary Vancouver Whitecaps.

Old Posted Today, 4:20 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada