HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 11:18 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
No More Gray

I am with you about Minnesota Place and its interesting interplay of glass and metal panels. But hasn't Portland endured this proliferation of charcoal gray building exteriors long enough? It began more than a decade ago, and what was once a trend now seems like an obsession. During Portland's long gray winters, wouldn't lighter and brighter building facades be more welcome?

A couple weeks ago, an architect friend came for a visit. He commented to me that his impression of Portland is that it's a city of gray buildings. Now THAT is not a good impression.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 2:05 PM

Thank you! Was just wondering how the Minnesota Place project was going. It’s amazing how much has been built in the Interstate Corridor in the past 10 years or so. Can’t think another part of town that has had this much new construction outside of NW.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:30 PM

I saw this public notice for demolition of the historic Pacific Power substation building near NE Williams and Knott. Per the notice it sounds like they need to expand the current (exterior) substation and also have issues with squatters and vandalism. Nice old building, but not sure what could be done with it given its intended use.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...R/4993977_did/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland