HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Indeed. Parcel "E" has been entirely cleaned up. There is now a gravel parking lot on a portion of Parcel "D". It appears it is being used by tradespeople (probably the ones finishing up the new neurology clinic in Tannery Pace South).

I predict that the Junction Urban Village will be moribund (in terms of future construction) for the next 1-3 years.
Why don't they sell D or E? I'm sure they could find a buyer. Also, I could have sworn there was a plan for the southwest corner (https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=06658071 and adjacent) that wasn't just overflow parking... but then again you can't fit much here unless you acquired the CN-owned lot east of Jonathan Creek and north of the railway (https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=06573394).

On that subject, is CN as difficult to acquire land from as DoD, ports, and Irvings? I can see why they want to hang on to the gigantic lot east of Rallye Motors, but the segment across the creek does them no good.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Why don't they sell D or E? I'm sure they could find a buyer. Also, I could have sworn there was a plan for the southwest corner (https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=06658071 and adjacent) that wasn't just overflow parking... but then again you can't fit much here unless you acquired the CN-owned lot east of Jonathan Creek and north of the railway (https://paol-efel.snb.ca/paol.html?v...n&pan=06573394).

On that subject, is CN as difficult to acquire land from as DoD, ports, and Irvings? I can see why they want to hang on to the gigantic lot east of Rallye Motors, but the segment across the creek does them no good.

From what I understand they purchased the land/houses next E, perhaps they're waiting for the lease to renew. They will likely demolish those homes/buildings to make room for either larger building or multiple buildings.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post

A while back, The Junction had a listing with commercial realtor Cushman & Wakefield. Regarding the undeveloped land, it was listed for lease, build-to-suit, or for sale. The listing was active for quite a while but obviously there were no suitable offers at that time.

I have to think that Westmount Developments would have had conditions on what could be built there in order to maintain the quality and image of the overall development.

I do think that it was a good move by the developer to try to accelerate the pace of the project, considering that they purchased the land a way back in 2014. It would be great if we could see a capable developer come on board and start construction of another building in the Junction Urban Village. Next spring lot D would be great.

But I must agree with MonctonRad - I just don't think we'll see any new construction here for some time.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
The Moncton Freshii, (located at 200 Ivan Rand Dr East), has posted online today that they are permanently closing effective July 14, 2024.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/FreshiiNewB...nNfu5TCQGssvkl
Reposted from the Retail thread.

I am not surprised by this at all. While the ground level commercial/retail at the Junction Village is of very high quality, it is more suited to commercial office space, services, destination retail, or traditional sit down restaurants than it is for high volume low margin food retailers (QSR) like Freshii. I'm surprised that Yuzu Sushi reopened there.

The only type of food option I can see working there is a conventional coffee shop (catering to residents), or, a destination restaurant. It is just too far removed from the core of the downtown to generate any spontaneous walk-in traffic.

I am gratified that the Junction Village is as successful as it is in leasing their commercial/retail space. I wish them well. I just think there are certain market sectors which would not thrive there.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 13, 2024 at 1:43 PM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:32 AM

I am not even close of being surprised of them closing. I saw nobody inside the previous Main/Bostford location when they were there and a move to a more isolated location was baffling. I'm going to go ahead and guess the current Harvest food place at Main/Bostford is next to close. I like fresh salads but have no plans on paying an arm & a leg for one. Just don't understand this concept in a small town like Moncton.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 1:04 PM

Yeah, there are certain business types that just won't work in a setting like The Junction, as there's little to no walk up foot traffic. Even with a third apartment building and the tenants across the street in the tomato building, it'd still be challenging for a place like Freshii to survive.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackYear View Post
I am not even close of being surprised of them closing. I saw nobody inside the previous Main/Bostford location when they were there and a move to a more isolated location was baffling. I'm going to go ahead and guess the current Harvest food place at Main/Bostford is next to close. I like fresh salads but have no plans on paying an arm & a leg for one. Just don't understand this concept in a small town like Moncton.
There simply is not enough workers downtown at the moment to support these types of places. You need a steady flow of workers coming in on a daily basis. Medavie still has about 90% of their staff at home. In 5-10 years we'll have a much more solid foundation of people living downtown and perhaps working as well but we aren't quite there yet.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:11 PM

I know it's not likely to happen, but it would be great if a chunk of the Sobey's parking lot across the street could be developed. It would pretty much fill in that VH & Main intersection if a building could be constructed on the corner.

A lot of that sea of asphalt is unused, and usually sits empty. But again, I don't think we'll see it happen.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirette View Post
There simply is not enough workers downtown at the moment to support these types of places. You need a steady flow of workers coming in on a daily basis. Medavie still has about 90% of their staff at home. In 5-10 years we'll have a much more solid foundation of people living downtown and perhaps working as well but we aren't quite there yet.
Good point. If we aren't going back to thousands of downtown office workers we need to replace them with thousands of downtown residents.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There is a replacement for Freshii already!!!

Banh Mi Bready will specialize in Vietnamese cuisine, including Vietnamese subs (that's novel).

Menu: https://www.banhmibready.ca/menus

I give this place a better chance of surviving than Freshii. The menu looks interesting, and, I could see people making a special trip here to try it out (something I doubt happened very often with Freshii).

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 12:45 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Signage has already been installed. I think they are open.

This probably takes the record for the speediest business turnover in Moncton history.

I wonder if the Olympics inspired them.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces