HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:16 AM

Area 911 is moving to the area behind the former police station on Somerset St. adjacent to Crescent Valley/Anglin Drive. Residents not happy. In a couple months they’ll start “House of Merit” 12 unit targeted housing on the cleared lot.

Last edited by cdnguys; Yesterday at 12:46 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Area 911 is moving to the area behind the former police station on Somerset St. adjacent to Crescent Valley/Anglin Drive. Residents not happy. In a couple months they’ll start “House of Merit” 12 unit targeted housing on the cleared lot.

Sorry, but who (or what) is Area 911? Something connected to the homeless i assume?

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Sorry, but who (or what) is Area 911? Something connected to the homeless i assume?
Container village between Waterloo and exmouth - area for unhoused and distribution depot for stolen bikes.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Container village between Waterloo and exmouth - area for unhoused and distribution depot for stolen bikes.
Ah, thought that might be it but Google just returned a bunch of stuff about the Saint John 911 dispatch centre and public safety.

Millidgeville Superstore will need to add barbed wire and guard towers to their gates, railings and plexiglass walls.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:05 AM

Quote:
PID?

+1 on the area nickname. brilliant....

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:46 AM

SJ has a very specific strain of NB-ism

Well said!

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:20 PM

While I agree with, and am quite tired of, the reality that Saint Johners can be particularly bad at questioning change, skepticism of success, or of any new idea in general, I think we need to put that into perspective. We are talking about basically the only [at one time] large city in the country that has stagnated and shrunk over a period of well over a century now, in part due to external forces very much outside of its control. Comparing the attitudes of generational residents of Saint John to most other cities in the country is grossly unfair IMO, because their histories do not align in any way.

You have no doubt heard the expression, "once bitten, twice shy," and that very much applies to Saint John.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkharbour View Post
While I agree with, and am quite tired of, the reality that Saint Johners can be particularly bad at questioning change, skepticism of success, or of any new idea in general, I think we need to put that into perspective. We are talking about basically the only [at one time] large city in the country that has stagnated and shrunk over a period of well over a century now, in part due to external forces very much outside of its control. Comparing the attitudes of generational residents of Saint John to most other cities in the country is grossly unfair IMO, because their histories do not align in any way.

You have no doubt heard the expression, "once bitten, twice shy," and that very much applies to Saint John.

Very fair point. As a life long resident I can recall lots of big announcements and grand schemes being hyped that (mostly) came to nothing. Many Saint Johner's have a built in "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude as a result.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:13 PM

A 3-storey apartment building with 51-units, is proposed for 949 Grandview Avenue. The applicant is 3D Property Management Inc, and the landowner is Grandview Residences Inc.

https://pub-saintjohn.escribemeeting...cumentId=18441

Old Posted Today, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Very fair point. As a life long resident I can recall lots of big announcements and grand schemes being hyped that (mostly) came to nothing. Many Saint Johner's have a built in "I'll believe it when I see it" attitude as a result.
That’s not a great attitude, though, and when it’s a shared, collective attitude held by many in the city and region, it holds us all back. It wouldn’t kill people to be more optimistic or dare to dream of a better city. As Steve Jobs said, those who are crazy enough to think they can change things are the ones who actually do. Saint John and the surrounding area is full of people way too quick to say why something can’t or won’t happen.

What many of y’all call realism, others see as negativity and cynicism.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces