HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
While I agree these is some truth to this view. Yes, JT needs to go. We do need to make progress on climate change. Yes, we do need a balanced stratagy that makes progress on the environmental front while not messing up the economy.
Why do we need to "make progress on climate change" and what does that even mean? We are inconsequential and destroying our industrial capacity so it goes as you say to the Gulf Coast accomplishes nothing

Quote:
If the Conservatives had a rational leaded. O'Toole, was a good rational leader, the conservatives could be very compelling. The current leader and his style and position make them extremely unattractive.
Times change of course but the idea the current leader is unnatractive seems completely disproven by polls. It's hard to imagine a corporate more centrist Tory doing any better. His populism and focus on real issue is resonating with many.

Quote:
They did. Canada is pushing for hydrogen from NFLD as an option for Germany. The Germans look to be interested.

What I think Canada should have pushed harder on was trying to get the German chemical industry (that was dependent on natural gas) to relocate to Atlantic Canada instead of the gulf coast.

As for Japan, they are playing in LNG Canada. They are another half dozen LNG projects that have been proposed on the west coast that are all viable. Japan just needs to invest in them.
Hydrogen is a pipe dream. Yes if we alos subidize the cost to get a little green brownie points they will by a token amount of Hydrogen made from wind energy. Of course read gas that pours out of the earth is obvioulsy going to be cheaper. Japan would invest if we had our regulatory act together. Some of that is structural with Indigenous issues and federalism but a lot of it is chasing away dirty energy.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Think of the poor children. They love Amicus the legal owl. He is brown, wears glasses and a fluffy red robe. What is not to like.

Source: Supreme Court of Canada.
It’s the Supreme Court not a football team. Ffs

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 12:22 AM

Team Amicus!

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 1:33 AM

A real "friend of the Court".

Occurs to me that their are several potential educational benefits in this for kids.
- the mythology of the owl
- the story of SCC's robes
- their first (probably) exposure to Latin and what that's all about.
(Come to think of it, there are probably a lot of adult Canadians who could derive the same benefits ...)

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jul 13, 2024 at 1:54 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
A real "friend of the Court".

Occurs to me that their are several potential educational benefits in this for kids.
- the mythology of the owl
- the story of SCC's robes
- their first (probably) exposure to Latin and what that's all about.
(Come to think of it, there are probably a lot of adult Canadians who could derive the same benefits ...)
The scary thing is that silly Owl is the most fun in Ottawa. Glad I live in a City with a NIGHT LIFE. Owls come out at night, Right?

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:49 AM
sick transit, gloria

Ottawa may not be the most exciting city in the country but it absolutely has a nightlife. I can attest to this from far too many forgotten university memories. And a couple more recent visiting family/friends.

Some real tilting at windmills here. The owl seems kinda cool - I’m fine with this minuscule expenditure on something fun for kids. God forbid people go to a place like Japan where any and everything has a mascot for some reason.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
It’s the Supreme Court not a football team. Ffs
Honest question. At what point did you lose your sense of humor and zest for life? Will the 0.25¢ from your taxes that funds this mascot actually bring it back?

The reason this country is so backwards in so many ways is because of exactly this mindset. Canadians know the cost of everything and understand the value of nothing. And that mindset permeates literally everything in this country. It leads to ridiculous penny pinching and enshittification of all public services and the public realm.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The scary thing is that silly Owl is the most fun in Ottawa. Glad I live in a City with a NIGHT LIFE. Owls come out at night, Right?
When was the last time you actually went out in downtown Halifax?

Halifax's night life is substantially due to having a large number of students and a sprinkling of young military in the core. The actual residents of the city? As boring as any other suburbanite elsewhere. Ottawa is about on par near U of O in the core for counting students getting drunk as "nightlife".

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Halifax's night life is substantially due to having a large number of students and a sprinkling of young military in the core. The actual residents of the city? As boring as any other suburbanite elsewhere. Ottawa is about on par near U of O in the core for counting students getting drunk as "nightlife".
You always know when the fleet is in town in Halifax (Standing Naval Force Atlantic).

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
You always know when the fleet is in town in Halifax (Standing Naval Force Atlantic).
Likewise, particularly obvious when the students are away. Kinda like how Kingston quiets down during the Summer.

I love Halifax. And my time at Shearwater was definitely some of the best in the CAF. But I do think the slamming on Ottawa is rather ridiculous when Halifax's supposed nightlife is basically built on Dal students getting hammered (which helped my single life when I was posted there). If that's the definition of nightlife, then all cities have to do is just increase the proportion of students in the core and the number of bars catering to them.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Likewise, particularly obvious when the students are away. Kinda like how Kingston quiets down during the Summer.

I love Halifax. And my time at Shearwater was definitely some of the best in the CAF. But I do think the slamming on Ottawa is rather ridiculous when Halifax's supposed nightlife is basically built on Dal students getting hammered (which helped my single life when I was posted there). If that's the definition of nightlife, then all cities have to do is just increase the proportion of students in the core and the number of bars catering to them.
This is a silly conversation. I’ve been to Ottawa in the summer and enjoyed the ‘night life’ immensely. I live in Halifax and find the best time to enjoy the’night life’ is the summer, when the universities are not in session and there’s a ton of stuff going on. To equate night life to being around a bunch of loaded university kids indicates a lack of understanding of the concept.

To summarize: night life does not equal drunk kids barfing in the bathroom, Halifax and Ottawa are both fun places to go out. End of lesson.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 4:50 PM
sick transit, gloria

Ottawa has a pretty decently sized University student population as well. And while I get the impression students may not drink as much as when I was in school I'm sure that scene still exists.

As someone in my 40s there's also some legitimately good bars in Ottawa - The Third, Bar Lupulus, Irene's and Ward 14 come to mind. Chiller places that have a lot of regulars which is more my vibe. Was there the other weekend during the Great Glebe Garage Sale and lots of streets near my BIL's house there turned into parties come evening. Sure it's not Montreal but I always have a good time when visiting.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
To equate night life to being around a bunch of loaded university kids indicates a lack of understanding of the concept.
More accurate than equating nightlife to a mascot at the Supreme Court.

Particularly ironic, by the way, that we're discussing nightlife in Ottawa as Bluesfest is wrapping up. What in Halifax comes close to even that one event?

End of the day somebody from Bedford or Cole Harbour talking about nightlife is about as useful as somebody from Kanata or Stittsville doing so. You know they're all full of it and their version of "nightlife" is basically backyard BBQs.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxiK View Post
It is always useful, just not to you.

It’s not even useful for residents of the Province of Quebec.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
When was the last time you actually went out in downtown Halifax?

You really have to visit True. Since the shipbuilding sparked boom around here its a far more dynamic nightlife. To answer your question I was on Spring Garden on the roof top patio of your Fathers mustache till about 10:30.PM.
I go out every Friday night with an old drinking buddy. It was our Covid sanity habit that continues.So much so that 6 other friends joined us last night. Four of them transplants from Ontario. All well past University age.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 7:06 PM

Quote:

Particularly ironic, by the way, that we're discussing nightlife in Ottawa as Bluesfest is wrapping up. What in Halifax comes close to even that one event?

End of the day somebody from Bedford or Cole Harbour talking about nightlife is about as useful as somebody from Kanata or Stittsville doing so. You know they're all full of it and their version of "nightlife" is basically backyard BBQs.
LOL!! You are on fire True. On fire ..
The Halifax jazz fest is coming to a close but you are right, Ottawa's bluesfest is one of North America's best music showcase's.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 9:24 PM

Quote:

re: the nightlife pissing contest.

Ottawa is fine, Halifax is fine. Group hug.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
It’s not even useful for residents of the Province of Quebec.
They are there to represent Québec's interests in Ottawa, too often (not always, of course) other parties MPs are there to represent Ottawa's interests in Québec.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 11:10 PM

Trump shot at a Rally :o

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 6:11 AM

I no longer want any association whatsoever with any liberals. None.
Not in the community, not at church, not at a bank not anywhere.
Being around these people is a threat to our sanity, safety, and families.

Of course the Far left on this site will disagree and try too poo poo me for hate speech again lmao. That's why we don't post on here that much. No one cares in the real world

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada