HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:58 PM

Awesome.

Even if this thing is hideous, hoping they get the residential part built. Adds another block of density.

According to the Clerks report: The project is the first ever to be developed in Winnipeg’s “TOD” – Transit Oriented Development zoning district

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Awesome.

Even if this thing is hideous, hoping they get the residential part built. Adds another block of density.

According to the Clerks report: The project is the first ever to be developed in Winnipeg’s “TOD” – Transit Oriented Development zoning district
Agreed. Recladding can be done one day maybe but more importantly is more people living along the BRT corridor.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:07 PM

Yeah I like to imagine a future where we just forget about this building as it gets lost in the little village that develops where the Dollarama and burger king used to be.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Are there any other robotic parking garages around here? I know of none. Would be neat to see in action.
Do you mean Parkade?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:51 PM
surely you agree with me

the parkade across from the Marlborough was once an automatic parkade called the Parkmaster...built in the 1950's for the hotel. It actually killed a guy....it was demolished in 1967.

It was removed because it is terribly inefficient. You have 5 drivers that want their cars at 5pm when the work day is done and each car takes three minutes to get....last guy is standing there waiting 15 minutes for his car.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Agreed. Recladding can be done one day maybe but more importantly is more people living along the BRT corridor.
Hopefully it's recladded sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:13 PM

Anyone know the status of 36 Roslyn Road? The old building there was torn down last year, and I know that the property owner had been trying to get the permit for the demolition with some vague statements about redeveloping it. Now the lot has been cleared, covered in gravel, and is being used as a parking lot by Sunrex...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:27 PM

Isn’t that illegal?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:29 PM

^took the words right out of my mouth

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 12:07 AM

Anything to do beyond calling and complaining?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
the parkade across from the Marlborough was once an automatic parkade called the Parkmaster...built in the 1950's for the hotel. It actually killed a guy....it was demolished in 1967.

It was removed because it is terribly inefficient. You have 5 drivers that want their cars at 5pm when the work day is done and each car takes three minutes to get....last guy is standing there waiting 15 minutes for his car.
Wow, that's wild to hear!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:11 PM

Oh right, the Marlborough. First of it's kind IIRC.

My parking garage talk is a leftover from being in other places where they don't understand what parkade means.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Oh right, the Marlborough. First of it's kind IIRC.

My parking garage talk is a leftover from being in other places where they don't understand what parkade means.
Huh that's funny, never realized parkade wasn't a wide-spread word. I guess that's why every time I type "parkade" spellcheck tells me it's not a word.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegster View Post
Anyone know the status of 36 Roslyn Road? The old building there was torn down last year, and I know that the property owner had been trying to get the permit for the demolition with some vague statements about redeveloping it. Now the lot has been cleared, covered in gravel, and is being used as a parking lot by Sunrex...

Obviously very disappointing to see. My understanding is the previous building had major structural issues, but I was really hoping some new housing would be built there. It's prime lot for infill development.

As far as I understand, Sunrex has their head office across the street at 21 Roslyn Road. Why a corporate landlord with hundreds of millions in assets has their head office on a residential street, I don't know. Their head office should honestly be either downtown or in an office park. Now they've created a huge eyesore where there should have been more housing built.

As for if the new parking lot is even allowed, I'm not sure yet. I will email Planning, Property, and Development over the weekend about it. My understanding is the bylaw that prevents new parking lots from being built only applies to downtown (please correct me if I'm wrong). It's also possible they got around this bylaw because the building was previously used as an office (thus a commercial property). That being said, the property assessment website shows the property zoned as "Residential 2," so maybe it still is a residential property after all.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:28 PM

Quote:

Hoepfully, the wouldn't be using 1950's technology to build one now?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Hopefully it's recladded sooner rather than later.
More appealing (and consistent) cladding is the only thing that will make this design remotely palatable. But we know that won't happen. This development screams of cost-cutting. At any rate, I'm happy to see more density as well. But it could look so much better than this.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Awesome.

Someone help out an old Gaffer. If the developments along the SW TransitWay aren't TOD, then what are they classified as? I'm thinking of all the stuff along Rathgar, Argue, Berwick, etc.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 10:16 PM
surely you agree with me

If that property is anything less than C2 zoning, a surface parking lot is not a permitted primary use. Even if it was permitted there are all kinds of bylaw requirements that must be followed. Paving. Lighting landscaping. Drainage. Fencing.

You can’t just lay gravel and park on it.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
If that property is anything less than C2 zoning, a surface parking lot is not a permitted primary use. Even if it was permitted there are all kinds of bylaw requirements that must be followed. Paving. Lighting landscaping. Drainage. Fencing.

You can’t just lay gravel and park on it.
As someone who walks by this property at least twice every day (on my way to work and back), they definitely just laid down a bunch of gravel and the next day people were parking on it. The "fences" are rebar rods sticking out of the ground with ropes running along them. It's also right next to a children's daycare. Now that I think about it, a bunch of rebar rods sticking out of the ground right next to a day care probably isn't a good idea. I emailed PP&D about it today. Hopefully they get back to me soon. The more I think about it, the more it seems like this parking lot isn't legal.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:02 PM

I heard back from Planning, Property, and Development earlier this morning. They said that parking lots are not permitted in Osborne Village without proper zoning and approvals. The information about the property has been sent to the zoning department for them to look into it. So it sounds very likely that the parking lot is illegal. Hopefully the City takes action against it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan