HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:10 PM
Community Guy

CONNOR MCDAVID MIGHT NOT BE OILERS’ MOST VALUABLE ASSET
https://www.sportico.com/leagues/hoc...et-1234780512/

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 8:51 PM
Community Guy

I'm looking at your Rossdale Powerplant.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 3:55 PM
Community Guy

Just opened in an old waterworks building in Toronto. Rossdale, looking at you.

Costs offset by adding some housing abutting and above. Imagine a boutique hotel there with some residences. TAKE MY MONEY

source
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...77682&page=406

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 9:53 PM

The Forks in Winnipeg is beautiful.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS1974 View Post
The Forks in Winnipeg is beautiful.
The Forks in Winnipeg is overrated if you ask me.

Edmonton can potentially do so much better with its Rossdale Power Plant. Instead of just farting around until it rots to the point of demolition, the City needs to sell it to a competent developer like Beljan then get out of the way and allow them to perform their magic.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
The Forks in Winnipeg is overrated if you ask me.

Edmonton can potentially do so much better with its Rossdale Power Plant. Instead of just farting around until it rots to the point of demolition, the City needs to sell it to a competent developer like Beljan then get out of the way and allow them to perform their magic.
I'm not sure it's fair to compare what's been successfully done to date to something that hasn't even started yet.

That's like looking at the framed certificates for "best unimplemented plan" that used to be in the planning department's meeting room...

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:00 AM
Community Guy

'Action 3: Increase efficiency and improve business processes for industrial development.'

I don't see anything about making Edmonton a more competitive tax environment and to work on keeping tax increases under control, accountability with spending and a more cost-competitive environment overall.

---
Industrial Investment Action Plan creates roadmap for long-term economic success
July 9, 2024

The City has launched its new Industrial Investment Action Plan (IIAP), a roadmap for attracting investment into our city, growing and diversifying our economy and increasing our industrial tax base.

“Our city is growing at an unprecedented rate, and we’re working hard to support that growth by building an economy that is sustainable and resilient,” said Ian Gallagher, Director of Regional Development. “The IIAP will not only solidify Edmonton as a great place to invest, but it will drive innovation and economic initiatives that make our entire region more prosperous.”

The IIAP brings together past and current industrial investment attraction work and ensures a balance of the current challenges with future opportunities. Industrial investment and growth are essential to the city’s long-term fiscal sustainability, helping create the conditions for a healthy, urban and resilient economy.

The IIAP aims to meet its goal of expanding our industrial areas through nine distinct actions:
Action 1: Market and promote the industrial advantages of Edmonton.
Action 2: Establish and maintain an industrial infrastructure prioritization tool.
Action 3: Increase efficiency and improve business processes for industrial development.
Action 4: Develop a guiding framework for flexibility in the City’s design standards.
Action 5: Work with Indigenous communities, organizations and businesses to identify barriers and advance Indigenous industrial economic development in Edmonton.
Action 6: Remove barriers for ethnocultural and all equity deserving communities for participating in Edmotnon’s industrial development.
Action 7: Continue to collaborate with regional partners, Indigenous communities and investment groups, and regional economic development agencies on economic development activities.
Action 8: Identify and tailor programs and incentives for target sectors that will provide a strong return to the City’s tax base and advance strategic objectives.
Action 9: Monitor progress and results of the Industrial Investment Action Plan.

The first Industrial Investment Action Plan was developed in 2016, and the refreshed plan helps address changes in the global energy market, environment and climate considerations as well as the strategic goals of the City laid out in The City Plan and the Economic Action Plan.

The IIAP will be the cornerstone of a strategic approach to industrial growth where people with great ideas stay and succeed, businesses see Edmonton as a great place to invest and our economy is responsive to climate change. Administration will return to Council in the first quarter of 2025 with an implementation plan which will outline the roll out of the IIAP.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/industrialinvestmentplan

Media contact:
Courtney Bettin
Communications Advisor
Urban Planning and Economy
780-288-5922

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:36 PM
Change is good

As long as Edmonton is the dumping ground for central and northern Alberta, and a lack of interest from the provincial government in funding socieitial stuff, Edmonton will always be at a disadvantage tax wise, we have to pay for a lot more stuff than other surrounding municipalties, like for example leduc, who just elected to send all there unhoused to Edmonton instead of building their own shelters. This type of action is repeated through every single town and whistle stop in alberta.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:22 PM
Community Guy

NAIOP Edmonton

Edmonton's share of the region's non-residential assessment dropped from 72% in 2008 to 60% in 2022.

And that’s putting pressure on the remaining tax-payers.

Residential taxes are up, and industrial taxes are now more than 2.5x higher in Edmonton than in the region.

We're only winning 1/3 of new industrial businesses inside the city limits, and that could cause major problems for the future of our city’s finances.

That's why NAIOP pushed for, and collaborated with the city on, the creation of a new Industrial Action Plan.

Learn more at https://lnkd.in/grRUFXtj

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:15 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
As long as Edmonton is the dumping ground for central and northern Alberta, and a lack of interest from the provincial government in funding socieitial stuff, Edmonton will always be at a disadvantage tax wise, we have to pay for a lot more stuff than other surrounding municipalties, like for example leduc, who just elected to send all there unhoused to Edmonton instead of building their own shelters. This type of action is repeated through every single town and whistle stop in alberta.
This, this right here. Edmonton is disproportinately paying for social service for other munciipalities in the province, yet is not receiving comensurate funding from the GOA.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton