HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I have to wonder why they are keeping the Atlantic chain distinct from the rest of Canada? I would assume there are some reasons for that, and not just for the name legacies.

Sobeys certainly has a number of chains under their banner too, but you can find Sobeys stores across the country.

Why is Loblaws keeping the Atlantic Canadian subchain (Whether it is "Atlantic Superstore" or "Real Atlantic Superstore") distinct from the rest of the country?
There's only one Sobeys branded store in BC; in Invermere.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:27 PM

I got some clarity from someone in management at Loblaws.

“As for rebranding - I guess you could say that. Atlantic is now part of the RCSS (Real Canadian Superstore) banner, so they are taking of their identity.“

“The red and blue logo is the new logo under our new president. It’s called “Super (dot) Market” which is the new name of the “Market Division”. I think only the logo on the stores is changing. The rest will be minimal. That’s my understanding anyway.”

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:56 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
It will be interesting to see if the new Superstore on Dieppe Blvd will be branded as Real Atlantic Superstore. I presume it will.
Also the stores are still under the dominion branding in Newfoundland. Will those change to Real Dominion Superstore's?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Also the stores are still under the dominion branding in Newfoundland. Will those change to Real Dominion Superstore's?
I don’t believe so, I think just the new red and blue logo will be implemented with the Dominion name.

Another thing of note, internally, Atlantic Superstore has always been Real Atlantic Superstore, so I am curious if with this new roll out it will be changed on signage and stuff. If the door dash picture is any hint, I would say that it will have Real in the branding going forward.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 1:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Apparently, the Petitcodiac Plaza location of Stacked Pancake & Breakfast House in Dieppe will open by the last week of July. and, the Plaza Boulevard location of Stacked in Moncton North will open in August.

I must admit to being surprised by this pronouncement. There still seems to be a lot of work to do on both these locations.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 10:27 AM

I wonder if this growth of specialty breakfast chains will last or if it will be a passing fad. I would think at some point we'll reach market saturation and see a shakeout.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I don’t believe so, I think just the new red and blue logo will be implemented with the Dominion name.

Another thing of note, internally, Atlantic Superstore has always been Real Atlantic Superstore, so I am curious if with this new roll out it will be changed on signage and stuff. If the door dash picture is any hint, I would say that it will have Real in the branding going forward.
yeah, I remember a long, long time ago there were "Real Atlantic Superstores" in the region, even before they just went with "Superstore" or "Atlantic Superstore". Pretty sure the one next to Champlain Place was originally "Real Atlantic", as well as when it was in Regent Mall oh so long ago.

So I guess this rebranding is just a cheap way to get a refresh. No need to do much in the stores, order new (reusuable) bags and change the receipt banner, and online portals and everything else mostly stays the same.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 11:55 AM

Pretty sure when the Millidgeville Superstore opened here in SJ in the 90's it was a "Real Atlantic Superstore". Not sure when they dropped the "Real".

I also seem to recall at one point they went through a period of calling it "Millidgeville Market" in some media and promotional material but I think that was short lived.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 1:25 PM

Yeah, I remember the "Market" branding a few years ago, maybe late Naughts/early 10's. Woodstock was "The Woodstock Market" around when they built their current store at the top of the hill. Can't recall if the Freddy stores were "Nashwaaksis Market" and "Smythe Street market" or not; it sounds somewhat familiar but I could be wrong.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:04 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Pretty sure when the Millidgeville Superstore opened here in SJ in the 90's it was a "Real Atlantic Superstore". Not sure when they dropped the "Real".

I also seem to recall at one point they went through a period of calling it "Millidgeville Market" in some media and promotional material but I think that was short lived.
It was The Real Atlantic Superstore from 1986-1995. The first one opened in Moncton in 1986

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:01 PM

From Wikipedia:

"In 1986, the company opened its first large-scale grocery store in Moncton, New Brunswick, using the name The Real Atlantic Superstore. In 1995, the name was shortened to the present one."

I remember walking around that store when it first opened and drooling over the ... Atari 7800 display. (I was 14) They sold pretty much everything, IIRC.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
From Wikipedia:

"In 1986, the company opened its first large-scale grocery store in Moncton, New Brunswick, using the name The Real Atlantic Superstore. In 1995, the name was shortened to the present one."

I remember walking around that store when it first opened and drooling over the ... Atari 7800 display. (I was 14) They sold pretty much everything, IIRC.
Plus I remember the employees wearing roller skates.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Plus I remember the employees wearing roller skates.
Yes that was awesome in the day.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Only borderline retail related, but this concerns the old Costco building at Wheeler Park.

U-Haul has started interior renovations to this building The building permit is valued at $8.8M, therefore this is not a small project.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:39 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
Yes that was awesome in the day.
I remember filling the 2 liter pop bottles manually. There store brand.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I remember filling the 2 liter pop bottles manually. There store brand.
That's right! They were half-flat within hours.

Hmmm... this almost seems like fodder for a new thread...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashe View Post
From Wikipedia:

Yeah, all the chain stores seemed to back then. I remember Superstore renting VHS tapes (Woolco and Sears too)

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 9:07 PM

Superstore on Main Street has already changed their logo to the new Blue & Red one on the front of the store. No mention of the word real though. I’m not sure if the other stores have already done the same thing or not.

*edit*
The trinity drive store has also been changed

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Jul 10, 2024 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 12:39 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Superstore on Main Street has already changed their logo to the new Blue & Red one on the front of the store. No mention of the word real though. I’m not sure if the other stores have already done the same thing or not.

*edit*
The trinity drive store has also been changed
Halifax retales is stating all stores will become real Canadian Superstore's including Newfoundland stores. Not sure whos right on this

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 2:09 AM

AllNewBrunswick has a new article posted confirming RONA is coming to the former Cabela's. Headline says a Halifax builder is bringing RONA to Moncton.

Also job listings now online for Spirit Halloween at 80 Mapleton Road, next to Giant Tiger. https://www.work4spirit.com/?city=Mo...ew%20Brunswick

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces