HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 7:45 PM

Ya thats exactly it. On street through the neighbourhood from Ernie o Dowd park to Pioneers Greenway, and further on through the neighbourhood to Panet/Reenders. There really isn't a plan here to have a path through beyond some potential future path on Nairn when BRT re-jigs the whole corridor.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 7:46 PM

Ther's some info here on the proposed plans for Provencher if you haven't seen them yet.
https://engage.winnipeg.ca/stboniface-walk-bike

Plan of the proposed works. Along Archibald it's nothing more than on the shared sidewalk at this point. Maybe in the future if the road get's re-done, they'd add a proper path as they are doing further south on Archibald.

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...bcc20f734c938f

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Ther's some info here on the proposed plans for Provencher if you haven't seen them yet.
https://engage.winnipeg.ca/stboniface-walk-bike

Plan of the proposed works. Along Archibald it's nothing more than on the shared sidewalk at this point. Maybe in the future if the road get's re-done, they'd add a proper path as they are doing further south on Archibald.

https://ehq-production-canada.s3.ca-...bcc20f734c938f
Your last link is dead.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 10:09 PM

It always does that for some reason. Its a map thats available in the side bar of the other link.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:04 AM

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:03 AM

would love to see the city build an underpass for Harte Trail at the Perimeter Highway. It's a real bummer going the distance from Shaftsbury, and ending up at a dead end, with nowhere to cross to the Headingley side of the trail.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 4:39 AM
surely you agree with me

Totally agree. I mean. Headingley should probably build it but it is needed.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Totally agree. I mean. Headingley should probably build it but it is needed.
Since the boundary is the Perimeter, maybe the city and municipality could split the cost. I always liked the underpass they built at the old Winnipeg Canoe Club, under Dunkirk Drive.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 3:50 PM

There are/were plans where you need to head south to the interchange and cross there on the north side of the railway. Really long detour especially if you're walking.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 5:25 PM

Quote:
There are/were plans where you need to head south to the interchange and cross there on the north side of the railway. Really long detour especially if you're walking.
That is so Winnipeg. Just build on underpass for pedestrian and cyclists. It's not like it will cost an arm and a leg...

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 10:57 PM

I have though about the Harte Trail underpass a lot. I have crossed the Perimeter there on foot and on a bike. It sucks.

I think they should send the trail south down the fence line 900m to the rail overpass and squeeze it in under the bridge with a retaining wall on the sloped concrete part and then back up Lafleche Rd. Then it out would only be landscaping.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.83894...5409&entry=ttu

To jack 8' pipe under the Perimeter isn't hard or very expensive, but if it's lower than the ditch then a lift station would be needed to deal with the water.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
I have though about the Harte Trail underpass a lot. I have crossed the Perimeter there on foot and on a bike. It sucks.

I think they should send the trail south down the fence line 900m to the rail overpass and squeeze it in under the bridge with a retaining wall on the sloped concrete part and then back up Lafleche Rd. Then it out would only be landscaping.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.83894...5409&entry=ttu

To jack 8' pipe under the Perimeter isn't hard or very expensive, but if it's lower than the ditch then a lift station would be needed to deal with the water.
This is the street view from Caron road looking at the Perimeter. I really don't think there's 8' of clearance from the bottom of the ditch to the bottom of the road base.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@49.84752...5409&entry=ttu

I wonder how many DIY pallet bridges cycling enthusiasts would have to build over the highway before the province feels obligated to put a legitimate pedestrian overpass.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:26 PM

The route I mentioned is shown here on paged 4/5 in green and red/blue dashed. The blue option is the selected option for the service road.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/hpd/pth100...s/segment1.pdf

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:05 PM

A buddy of mine is on a crusade for city to update signage on Navy and Assiniboine - i've seen it myself the few times I've been on his balcony - seems like cars are constantly turning from Southbound Navy left onto Assinboine going into the bike lanes and then sometimes getting stuck on the curb when they realize lol. Hes contacted city a couple times already and theyve ignored him so hes building up a photo collection to present to them again. Seems like an easy fix. I've seen one car almost make the full trip from Navy to Main driving eastbound on the bikelanes lol.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
A buddy of mine is on a crusade for city to update signage on Navy and Assiniboine - i've seen it myself the few times I've been on his balcony - seems like cars are constantly turning from Southbound Navy left onto Assinboine going into the bike lanes and then sometimes getting stuck on the curb when they realize lol. Hes contacted city a couple times already and theyve ignored him so hes building up a photo collection to present to them again. Seems like an easy fix. I've seen one car almost make the full trip from Navy to Main driving eastbound on the bikelanes lol.
Tell your friend he's my hero

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
Perhaps the Chippawa can bring those 4 inchers in their lobby to bear to motivate people out of the lane haha.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 5:21 PM

Quote:
The route I mentioned is shown here on paged 4/5 in green and red/blue dashed. The blue option is the selected option for the service road.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/mti/hpd/pth100...s/segment1.pdf
That would be better than nothing. An underpass prone to flooding and a overpass like @ Birds Hill park too expensive unless the feds chip in. Have to wonder how many years away this will be come reality. 10, 20+.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
That would be better than nothing. An underpass prone to flooding and a overpass like @ Birds Hill park too expensive unless the feds chip in. Have to wonder how many years away this will be come reality. 10, 20+.
Biked that overpass yesterday - literal hell biking up the floodway and the bridge, especially after I had a headwind from the North all the way starting at Elmwood and Talbot lmao.

Also, for any fat guys like me reading this, do not go down into the park in Birds Hill like Maps tells you to on the way to BHP, I almost puked going up that Garven Road switchback haha.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Yea I would vouch for many other AT infrastructure pieces over an overpass for the Harte trail. The Harte trail serves primarily recreational users, whereas an AT (BRT?) bridge at the U of M, or any of the proposed river crossings in the downtown area (River Ave to Assiniboine, St B to Point Douglas) would capture a higher number of daily users of both commuters and recreational users.

The reroute down to Wilkes on the Harte Trail adds about 2km to travel over crossing the Perimeter. Depending on time of day and traffic volumes, I would either risk crossing the Perimeter or take the extra 6-8 mins by bike to cover that distance.

If an AT bridge cut my commute distance by 2 km I would be much more likely to cycle to work at a higher frequency (currently about 2x weekly)

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Yea I would vouch for many other AT infrastructure pieces over an overpass for the Harte trail. The Harte trail serves primarily recreational users, whereas an AT (BRT?) bridge at the U of M, or any of the proposed river crossings in the downtown area (River Ave to Assiniboine, St B to Point Douglas) would capture a higher number of daily users of both commuters and recreational users.

The reroute down to Wilkes on the Harte Trail adds about 2km to travel over crossing the Perimeter. Depending on time of day and traffic volumes, I would either risk crossing the Perimeter or take the extra 6-8 mins by bike to cover that distance.

If an AT bridge cut my commute distance by 2 km I would be much more likely to cycle to work at a higher frequency (currently about 2x weekly)
Absolutely. My unresearched opinion is the River-Assiniboine AT bridge is the best bang for buck, should it ever be built.

Speaking of AT bridges, once upon a time, Bike Winnipeg was gathering support for a crossing between Kildonan Drive and Scotia Avenue; I think it was to be at Senior Citizen's Park. Does anyone know anything about that? Was it a real plan, or just blue sky thinking?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan