HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 6:46 PM
What could go wrong?

First, I can't believe that the city is still allowing occupancy in that house considering how they evacuated that apartment block on Portage? How can that resident in that house sleep at night with the potential collapse next door? I can't believe McDermot is still open at that location?
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 6:49 PM

What the heck is going on with these collapses? I'm wondering if all this rain is loosening things up and shit is starting to slide around.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 6:52 PM
the first stamp is free

That person should honestly get out, and probably the next 2 or 3 houses over too.

And I think the difference on this reaction by the City is the postal Code and the possibly the engineer involved.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:00 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
What the heck is going on with these collapses? I'm wondering if all this rain is loosening things up and shit is starting to slide around.
Excavation around/beside/below older buildings like this is extremely risky.

You have to be very careful, with consultants that understand the risks and contractors that will listen to the consultants. Oh and owners insist on hiring contractors that listen to consultants.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:08 PM

In street view, the house next door appears burnt out. So might not need to worry about them lol

In the news article photos, they have numerous concrete lock blocks piled up against the building in that area. I suspect they've been doing work in the bottom level. Seems like a bad idea to pile up concrete blocks next to an old building you're doing work on. Maybe it is some kind of reactionary effort to shore up the area.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:15 PM
the first stamp is free

From the pictures it's fairly obvious the footing along a significant length at the center of the building has either settled significantly or rotated inwards. Likely a combination of work being done in the basement (i.e. removal of basement slab), moisture buildup in the basement - or a combination of both. With the possibility of the rainy summer being a contributing factor.

That entire section of wall would be unstable and could collapse outwards (5-stories high) at any moment. Those neighboring lots are probably 25 to 30 feet wide, so even tho the first house is no longer there, a 50-foot wall of brick would still reach the next house over.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:24 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
In street view, the house next door appears burnt out. So might not need to worry about them lol
I think this may be part of the problem. That burnt house was recently demolished. I would suspect that the removal of the house foundation while back filled could have possibly been a contributing factor.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:31 PM

After going on a bit of a Google maps tour of the area I was unaware this building or the one across the street existed. Would have been nice to keep them both. Hopefully the other one is being properly maintained.

The school next door (opposite side of the burnt neighboring house) should be a major concern. I imagine the city wants this taken care of before kids return to school and there is some tragic event.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 7:33 PM

Fascinating article looking at a small piece of the affordable housing puzzle, but a piece with big implications that offers a glimpse of why North American construction is so dysfunctional relative to the rest of the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/08/o...migration.html

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 12:04 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what the heck?

If that walls not attached to the floor cause they run the other direction could it be fixed by ripping all that section off wall off and replacing?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 1:19 AM

Parker Lands developmment:

Not sure if anyone has brought this up, but I found this article on CBC:
After 11 years of delays that inspired two lawsuits — including one case still winding its way through the courts — city council has approved plans to develop Winnipeg's Parker lands.

Council voted unanimously Thursday to rezone a 19-hectare triangle of Fort Garry land wedged between the Southwest Transitway and the CNR Rivers rail line to make way for a 1,918-unit residential development called Fulton Grove.

Developer Andrew Marquess hopes to build 23 apartment towers on the east side of the triangle, closer to Pembina Highway, along with a mix of townhouses, triplexes, duplexes and single-family homes on the west side, closer to Waverley Street.

Marquess initially acquired the property from the city as part of a land swap in 2009. A planning approval process began in 2013, and Marquess has spent the last 11 years trying to get city council to approve his development proposal.

Along the way, Marquess repeatedly accused city planning officials and River Heights-Fort Garry Coun. John Orlikow of placing roadblocks in the way of the development. He has been vindicated by the courts on two occasions.

Orlikow did not attend Thursday's council meeting. Council Speaker Devi Sharma said he was attending a conference out of town on the city's behalf.

In 2018, a judge ordered the city to hold hearings over the Fulton Grove development. In a separate case in 2023, a judge determined two city officials had engaged in misfeasance by holding back the development and ordered the city to pay Marquess $5 million. Orlikow was not a defendant in the case.

The city appealed the latter ruling during two days of court hearings earlier this month. A decision in that appeal has yet to be handed down.

Marquess, who has pre-sold some units on the land, deferred comment on Thursday's vote, stating via text message that he wishes to see the wording of a city planning report that was amended at the committee stage.

The developer said he was surprised when the original report made recommendations about how close his development can come to the rail line along the north end of the property.

source; https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...2024-1.7185101

This article raises a lot of questions about the ineptitude of the City of Winnipeg. I actually feel sorry for the developer, if it took 11 years, and two court cases to get this project off the ground. No wonder so little gets built in our city.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jul 9, 2024 at 2:51 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:55 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

So according to city bylaw 77/2022 it was rezoned RFM-L

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 4:54 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Potential building collapse on McDermot.

https://winnipeg.citynews.ca/2024/07...niel-mcintyre/

Holy moly... the owners aren't saying anything about this?

It's literally a collapse waiting to happen FFS!! It's one heavy rain and wind storm away from collapse.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 12:33 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

It does have pins through the building otherwise it would of prolly collapsed I would imagin

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Does Boise have Canada Life, Investors Group, Wawanesa, Motorcoach, New Flyer, Richardson International, Cargill, Palliser, 24-7 Intouch, Standard Aero…..
For a city and metro area which is small by US standards (250K in city proper; 800K in metro area), Boise is HQ for some significant companies. These include: Boise Cascades; Albertsons (2nd largest grocery chain in North America); WinCo; Simplot; Micron; Lamb Weston, etc.

As well, the crime rate in Boise and Idaho is about 3x lower than Winnipeg and Manitoba. More homicides in Winnipeg than in entire state of Idaho.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
For a city and metro area which is small by US standards (250K in city proper; 800K in metro area), Boise is HQ for some significant companies. These include: Boise Cascades; Albertsons (2nd largest grocery chain in North America); WinCo; Simplot; Micron; Lamb Weston, etc.

As well, the crime rate in Boise and Idaho is about 3x lower than Winnipeg and Manitoba. More homicides in Winnipeg than in entire state of Idaho.
I had no idea, good on Boise. I wonder what drives their radically lower crime rates compared to the national average. Not that the crime rate is a knock against Winnipeg, which is only a high crime city by Canadian standards. We're wedged between the criminal havens of Orlando and Colorado Springs in continental rankings and by my count, don't even scratch the top 100 in terms of North America cities. That's not to excuse criminals who need to be rooted out and punished, but it's some perspective to remember when people pretend this place is some sort of warzone. Avoid Euclid and Main at 3 in morning while wearing gang colours and you'll be fine.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I had no idea, good on Boise. I wonder what drives their radically lower crime rates compared to the national average. Not that the crime rate is a knock against Winnipeg, which is only a high crime city by Canadian standards. We're wedged between the criminal havens of Orlando and Colorado Springs in continental rankings and by my count, don't even scratch the top 100 in terms of North America cities. That's not to excuse criminals who need to be rooted out and punished, but it's some perspective to remember when people pretend this place is some sort of warzone.
Exactly! People are free to like or dislike a place however they choose, but some folks who regularly trash the city seem to have absolutely no interest in seeing it improve. Must be tough to be constantly bitter about the place.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 10:37 PM
surely you agree with me

I've heard the McLaren Hotel proposal on Main is morning forward...like every project it is likely looking for HAF funding.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 11:04 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
cool...good for Boise.....Winnipeg punches way above its weight as well, with many continental calibre companies (Canada Life, Investors Group, Wawanesa, New Flyer, Richardson International, Cargill, Palliser, 24-7 Intouch, Standard Aero, Pollard Banknote, Boyd Group, Paterson, MacDon)

We have zero reason to envy Boise.

And we have the Jets.

Last edited by trueviking; Jul 9, 2024 at 11:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
cool...good for Boise.....Winnipeg punches way above its weight as well, with many continental calibre companies (Canada Life, Investors Group, Wawanesa, New Flyer, Richardson International, Cargill, Palliser, 24-7 Intouch, Standard Aero, Pollard Banknote, Boyd Group, Paterson, MacDon)

We have zero reason to envy Boise.

And we have the Jets.
...not to mention numerous pop culture references over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAZD9Xx5-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SvP6kLvohY

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan