HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 3:25 PM

Just to clarify, Crepeau was told by Marsch to be up that far which Marsch has admitted. Also Bombito gave up on his man thinking Crepeau was back farther .Crepeau is also leading the tournament in saves, by far

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 1:59 AM
That guy...

Kind of thought that something like that might have contributed to it, but that's a very big gamble to take, playing that far out of one's net. He's definitely come far off his line to stop breakaways before, but as any keeper can tell you (myself included), getting chipped from that far out really sucks. He has a phenomenal save rate, but anyone who saw him tie the MLS record for saves in a game knew that could be expected.

It looked to me like Bombito over-ran the opportunity to challenge for the ball as Rondon got his toe on it to bring it in, and was turning to recover as he hit the chip. I'd agree that he most likely thought his keeper was playing deeper than he actually was - all these things have to get processed through a player's head in fractions of a second, and sometimes circumstances overwhelm the processing. Bombito will get better as he gains experience, and he's already pretty good.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trece verde View Post
Bombito will get better as he gains experience, and he's already pretty good.
Considering, he's only played, I think, 50 something true professional games and OL is chasing him, he's doing pretty well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 12:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

OK so I guess it's time for me to lay off the Euro a bit and start paying attention to the Copa America?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:46 PM

Here's another upcoming star likely European bound before long

Tani Oluwaseyi’s stats are off the charts
Paul Kennedy socceramerica.com May 27, 2024

Tani Oluwaseyi scored his sixth goal and added his third assist in Minnesota United’s 3-3 tie at Colorado.

Oluwaseyi, 24, was born in Nigeria and grew up in Canada. He played at St. John’s before being drafted by the Loons in 2022. He enjoyed a breakout season in 2023 on loan to the USL Championship’s San Antonio SC with 18 goals.

In his first full MLS season, his stats in multiple categories are off the charts, ranking in the 99th percentile in non-penalty goals and assists per 90 minutes — as well as blocks — and second in MLS behind Lionel Messi on goal contributions per 90 minutes.

Top 5: Goal contributions per 90 minutes (MLS):
1. Lionel Mess (Inter Miami), 2.11
2. Tani Oluwaseyi (Minnesota Utd ), 1.57
3. Luis Suárez (Inter Miami), 1.48
4. Robin Lod (Minnesota Utd ), 1.29
5. Cristian Arango (Real Salt Lake), 1.16

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:00 PM
Community Guy

Lots of ball today. Let's go baby.

GO CANADA GO

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 5:57 AM
Community Guy

Be proud.
A good try.

Onward and upwards, unlike this shit.

https://x.com/McInnispicks/status/1810852902321176874

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:11 AM

It was widely expected. We all know they're aging but they are still the world #1 ranked team on both FIFA and Elo and are the reigning world champions. Outside of another absolute powerhouse on the level of Spain or France no one else is expected to beat them. They'd likely be among the favorites to win the world cup again in 2026.

Canada's real final with a possibility of a win is whoever loses between Colombia vs Uruguay. Think we've got a slightly better chance vs Uruguay so I'm rooting for Colombia tomorrow.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Be proud.
A good try.

Onward and upwards, unlike this shit.

https://x.com/McInnispicks/status/1810852902321176874
Of the hundreds of games I played growing up and then adult rec, thank god nobody did this. These professionals should turn in their man cards, if they ever had one in the first place. Seriously, too many pussies in this sport.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 10:54 AM

Too bad Ecuador didn’t beat the Argies in penalties.

What is it 7 games under the new coach so far? One goal 11v11 so far. Not that they haven’t had chances. Hopefully the goals will soon start pouring in. It’s not like they look out of place.

Last edited by megadude; Jul 10, 2024 at 11:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
Of the hundreds of games I played growing up and then adult rec, thank god nobody did this. These professionals should turn in their man cards, if they ever had one in the first place. Seriously, too many pussies in this sport.
Argentina has so many talented players but they resort to these sort of dark arts and play acting that ruins the game. I'd be ashamed to pull such a stunt.

Having Angel Di Maria at Man U for that season was a big mistake.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Argentina has so many talented players but they resort to these sort of dark arts and play acting that ruins the game. I'd be ashamed to pull such a stunt.

Having Angel Di Maria at Man U for that season was a big mistake.
Yeah, I couldn’t do that. The only two times I stayed down was when I got winded and dislocated my ankle. Both times I got up but the first time ref told me lie down and recover and second time I only went down after seeing in the corner of my eye that my foot was pointing the wrong way.

I would totally be fine with red cards for blatant simulation if it’s a means of stamping this behaviour out of the game.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:24 PM

Last edited by elly63; Jul 10, 2024 at 12:35 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 3:28 PM

If Canada ups immigration from West Africa, we could win a World Cup by 2050

Old Posted Jul 13, 2024, 11:13 PM

Looks like Canada is using the third place Copa game vs Uruguay to test a bunch of new starters. Most of the regular starters are on the bench. Actually the lineup doesn't look all that bad because some of the guys starting should be starters by 2026 and the World Cup.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 8:24 AM
That guy...

Definitely some interesting lineup choices, but an absolute breakout game for Koné. A bit frustrating that les Rouges weren't able to see their lead out, but this is a very young group who will learn better game management as they go onward. There is a lot more confidence being shown onfield in taking on teams like Uruguay - they're not backing off from challenging the big names of the game anymore.

The truly weird thing from my perspective was that there didn't appear to be any ruling on the Uruguayan players going into the stands after their game against Colombia - CONMEBOL was "still investigating" this incident. @Elly, have you heard anything newer about this? My more cynical side could be lead to believe that CONMEBOL anticpated losing too much in revenue if one of their star sides wasn't able to field their big names. But that would really be cynical...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Expect another Canadian to sign in Ligue 1 France. Lyon is in talks with the Colorado Rapids for Moise Bombito and they are also looking at Jacob Shaffelburg
Good news, another Canadian has signed in Ligue 1 France but it wasn't either of the above (yet)

Theo Bair has signed with newly promoted Auxerre

Old Posted Jul 14, 2024, 8:55 PM

Slightly off topic, but look at this save by Spain in the 89th minute, allowing them to hold on to a 2-1 victory, and win the Euros.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trece verde View Post
Definitely some interesting lineup choices, but an absolute breakout game for Koné. A bit frustrating that les Rouges weren't able to see their lead out, but this is a very young group who will learn better game management as they go onward. There is a lot more confidence being shown onfield in taking on teams like Uruguay - they're not backing off from challenging the big names of the game anymore.

The truly weird thing from my perspective was that there didn't appear to be any ruling on the Uruguayan players going into the stands after their game against Colombia - CONMEBOL was "still investigating" this incident. @Elly, have you heard anything newer about this? My more cynical side could be lead to believe that CONMEBOL anticpated losing too much in revenue if one of their star sides wasn't able to field their big names. But that would really be cynical...
Heck of a tournament by our boys. We went through some really dark years after that 8-1 drubbing in Honduras, I would have not believed you if you told me Canada is a legitimate player in world football 10 years after that.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2024, 11:33 AM

Really proud of our Mens Team. What an amazing tournament. Finally a legit team that can match up and play any other side. The most athletic, skilled and cohesive Team Canada I’ve ever seen. Big props to Coach Marsch. They are young and hungry and set up nicely for 2026.

As an aside. Copa America itself was great and right up there with Euros for quality and prestige.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada