HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
That’s great. I think this new route will work out for Montreal YUL, as they have a large French /European population in Quebec,Canada✅.

AIR CANADA ADDS A330 MONTREAL – LAS VEGAS SERVICE IN NW24

Air Canada during Northern winter 2024/25 season is adjusting capacity on Montreal – Las Vegas service, previously scheduled with 2 daily rouge A319 service. From 27OCT24 to 30APR25, this route will be served once a day, with mainline 285-seater A330-300 (J30Y255) aircraft.

AC1275 YUL1905 – 2153LAS 333 D
AC1274 LAS2325 – 0710+1YUL 333 D

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/240705-acnw24yullas
Pretty much keeping capacity flat with +7 departing seats/day.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
An acquaintance who works at WS Encore said that Porter was offering very generous salaries for cabin crew. I thought he said something like $80/hr which was much higher than Encore or AC Express. How can they afford to do that?
That would significantly more than Air Canada First officers start at. 65 a flight hour currently.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfan12 View Post
That’s great. I think this new route will work out for Montreal YUL, as they have a large French /European population in Quebec,Canada✅.
A large French population in Quebec, Canada? Colour me shocked!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hehehe View Post
A large French population in Quebec, Canada? Colour me shocked!
Well, that explains the signs. Funny I didn't connect those dots earlier lol

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 12:40 AM

LOL reminds me of the old Hotels.com character Captain Obvious haha! But yes, it is an understandable add. That two way market is so colossal it's insane, just capacity on top of capacity. I used to think it was analogous to YYZ-LON (LHR and LGW together), but YUL-PAR (CDG and ORY) is definitely higher. Without French Bee even factored in yet, 9-10 daily, whereas YYZ-LON is 8x daily. And both routes entirely** on a mix of wide bodies that are similar ie. 777s, 787s, A330s (**it looks like Transat operates the A321LR on some YYZ-LGW flights, but otherewise it's wide bodies for both).

The domestic declines are still surprising to me, I didn't think Lynx was that important traffic wise, especially as AC and WS usually add capacity and absorb any losses. It's just weird to have several months in a row with negative growth at 3/4 of the biggest airports, and likely at YYZ too if they bothered reporting. Usually consistent declines are seen when there's a significant event (ie. Sep. 11th, onset of Covid, SARS, or something like the 2008 economic crash which really happened in a very quick cascade starting in Sep. 2008, and having impacts right away). Ie. a very economic shock. But that isn't the case here, despite mixed economic signals and some obvious storm clouds and weakness, it certainly is not like March 2020, Sep 2001, or even fall 2008... So I guess it is just Lynx? The fact that transborder and international are strong at all 3 airports kind of weakens the economic argument a bit, as during the big shocks to traffic that I mentioned, every sector was affected. But this time, other sectors aren't just inching up, they are growing in big numbers (ie. YVR transborder up 24% in May?! That's very hefty, and then YYC up 20.7%, also really big). So a very mixed picture, and not a classic economic slowdown (well, yet, but hopefully not). Would be interesting if the airports provided data on how much is inbound visits from the US and how much is Canadian travel outbound. Ie. a measure of foreign traffic in vs. Canadians going out. I feel like maybe there's a StatCan data set on this, but maybe not.

I am actually surprised Asian traffic at YVR is even where it is (basically at 2017 levels). By 2017, our China traffic was already pretty much at its peak, we didn't gain many airlines or frequencies after that, the main growth was up till then. So comparing the those days of the PEK, PVG, CAN steady frequencies plus all those secondary cities at lower frequency, it was a lot. So to be even close to that level, with only 4x weekly AC to PVG, and then a smattering on random single weekly flights by Chinese carriers) is quite surprising. And other than adding Singapore and Fiji, the other routes are not drastically higher than 2017 in terms of frequencies overall, so that tells me the planes are fuller? To be almost at 2017 Asia traffic, while facing a notable frequency reduction, must show fuller planes, because the equipment used isn't so different than before?

Also interesting to see such strength on transborder traffic. Anecdotally, at least in Vancouver, a lot of people are doing a US trip, so that traffic isn't just more Americans coming in, I think there's a lot of popularity to places like Florida and leisure destinations in the West (ie. Phoenix, Orange County, San Diego). I guess the Canadian dollar has been so low for so long now, Canadians aren't basing decisions on the exchange rate or anticipating much change by holding off on booking. Conversely, the low dollar is certainly still a factor in Americans coming here, the built in discount on coming here is essential. Basically it just brings us to even with the US for cost of many things, as prices for most things are higher here. So that discounted dollar is making higher prices palatable. I might be exaggerating here, the low $ is probably way more of a savings than the higher prices add, and it isn't a wash. But imaging a dollar at par is terrifying, we would be insanely pricey and could lose a lot. Here's to hoping the low to mid 70s will last, once we get into the 80s I get nervous for tourism.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post

The domestic declines are still surprising to me, I didn't think Lynx was that important traffic wise, especially as AC and WS usually add capacity and absorb any losses.
It's just weird to me this summer, given that we don't have Lynx and Swoop and Flair seems to be treading water at best. Where is all this pent up travel demand? I know YXU is no big thing, but this time last summer, we dropped my son off there to begin a flight to Germany and the airport was buzzing. There were AC, Swoop, WestJet and Flair flights all coming and going within a couple hour span that afternoon. There was actually a line at security lol. Now the place is almost a Covid year ghost town again.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2024, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It's just weird to me this summer, given that we don't have Lynx and Swoop and Flair seems to be treading water at best. Where is all this pent up travel demand? I know YXU is no big thing, but this time last summer, we dropped my son off there to begin a flight to Germany and the airport was buzzing. There were AC, Swoop, WestJet and Flair flights all coming and going within a couple hour span that afternoon. There was actually a line at security lol. Now the place is almost a Covid year ghost town again.
If Jetlines wasn’t run by a bunch of idiots (maybe they can find some actual talent after the flurry of recent departures) they could have carved out their own niche and been the dominant airline at YXU and YHM. Instead they attempt to add routes at YYZ as the #4 carrier and then drop many of them before even an inaugural flight. It’s astounding that Jetlines haven’t folded already. The mindset that the centre of the universe is the be-all-end-all makes me shake my head every time. It’s obvious they don’t employ anyone dedicated to network planning.

Both of those airports logically should be handling at least 800K pax per year and yet neither will be anywhere close anytime soon…and won’t even add up to 800K combined anytime soon. I hope PD add twice daily YXU/YHM/YKF-YOW DH4 service to YOW in the next couple of years as they build out YOW. That would give each airport 56K additional seats per year. YKF better pray F8 survive long-term or else they’ll again be a ghost town.

Last edited by Dominion301; Jul 7, 2024 at 4:10 PM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 3:29 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Inaugural Air Greenland flight Nuuk -> Iqaluit.

Video Link

Nuuk has a very nice new terminal building, just opened two days previously, and are in the process of extending their runway to over 2000m.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Inaugural Air Greenland flight Nuuk -> Iqaluit.

Video Link

Nuuk has a very nice new terminal building, just opened two days previously, and are in the process of extending their runway to over 2000m.
Iqaluit's terminal is a few years old but still pretty nice. They once had service between greenland and Nunavut. so this is a revived service. Also could be quite well used.

And Canadian North has added an new Iqaluit Montreal service using a 737-700. SO getting away from Combis. This will make for a faster run between YFB and YUL. But also Kuujjuaq in Nunavik. YVP

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:24 AM

That was a nice video.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
That was a nice video.
Agreed. I'd love to check out that flight, if it weren't so expensive to get it Iqaluit.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatestX View Post
Agreed. I'd love to check out that flight, if it weren't so expensive to get it Iqaluit.
My last flight into YFB was 3500. (About 6 years ago) and I still had to fly up island. which was another 900.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:07 PM

If you can find a cheap fare to YOW, sometimes you can get YOW-YFB-YOW for ~2.3k. My team does this route often in the summer.

I went to Resolute YRB last summer and prices were expensive, but that's just the way it is.

Potentially going to YCB in September... same idea.

The unique landscape of Northern Canada is worth it though for anyone thinking about saving up for a trip like this.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:19 PM

If you collect Aeroplan points and are flexible on dates, it in theory possible to redeem them on YOW-YFB. The value on these would be pretty good as they are at a fixed redemption rate (10K points one way), as opposed to the dynamic pricing when booking on AC metal.

https://princeoftravel.com/guides/ae...stic-partners/

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post
If you can find a cheap fare to YOW, sometimes you can get YOW-YFB-YOW for ~2.3k. My team does this route often in the summer.

I went to Resolute YRB last summer and prices were expensive, but that's just the way it is.

The unique landscape of Northern Canada is worth it though for anyone thinking about saving up for a trip like this.
Yes I agree with the country up there. I have been right up to Gris Fjord. Been 8 years since my last trip into Nunavut but was through the Yukon the last couple of years. with 3 trips to Dawson. Spent 30 years traveling and working in the north. Had to fortune to take my wife up to Iqaluit twice. We just missed out on a flight to Pond Inlet due to weather.Been both Summer and Winter and loved it most of the time.

Current position , the company has no presence up there yet but One possibility to Tuk later this summer.

And the wife and I are planning the drive up the Dempster.(I've only been on sections never the full length. If I will the lottery Ill definitely do one last trip to Baffin.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainView View Post

I totally agree. Been to YFB multiple times and brief visits to YRB, YUX and YVP. I’ve also been out west to YZF, YXY, SW Yukon and SE Alaska. All were spectacular, especially Yukon.

I saw one-way YOW-NUK priced at $1589 taxes in. That’s actually a pretty good price, especially for same-day service to/from Greenland.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:07 PM

AS are adding daily winter seasonal YLW-LAX service from 19DEC24 to 17MAR25.

https://news.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...nd-ski-routes/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominion301 View Post
AS are adding daily winter seasonal YLW-LAX service from 19DEC24 to 17MAR25.

https://news.alaskaair.com/alaska-ai...nd-ski-routes/
Wow that came out of nowhere, cool route addition! AS doesn't even fly to LAX from any of its other Canadian destinations, so that is a nice add.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
Wow that came out of nowhere, cool route addition! AS doesn't even fly to LAX from any of its other Canadian destinations, so that is a nice add.
That is an interesting add as AS has scaled back their service to BC airports over the years. AS used to have several daily YVR-SFO and YVR-LAX flights.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
That is an interesting add as AS has scaled back their service to BC airports over the years. AS used to have several daily YVR-SFO and YVR-LAX flights.
Also, YLW-SEA used to be year-round. Now it's only seasonal too.

I remember for a period they had seasonal YKA-SEA on the DH4 for ski traffic.

I suppose this is what the new YLW-LAX route is partially trying to capture and snowbirds going the other direction.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada