HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:32 PM

The one constant, overriding frustration...desire that I have picked up from reading comments on this board - is that nearly everyone would love to see an impressive downtown Phoenix skyline. Especially, for a C.S.A. of nearly 5.5 million people. Just yesterday, many comments were made about a lack of creativity regarding the new UofA building being built. As I mentioned in my last comment - the bottom line - it is a government - or, quasi-government building ...being built by taxpayer's dollars. There are many comments on this site that I have found interesting ...I have learned a lot that I had no idea, otherwise. These people don't work for me - nor, do they have to please me. I don't jump down their throats if I don't necessarily agree with them -or, find all their input interesting to me. Conversely, I don't work for anyone on this board - nor, do I think I'm obligated to make people happy with my input and opinion. Your comment, "We've had this discussion before..." and basically, your whole response to my comment reeks with hostility and resentment. I don't have the answers and neither do you. I have experiences and opinions - just as you do. Municipal and state governments regulate and govern and have a lot a power how a community is going to shape. Arizona...Phoenix ...has a better business climate than California. They need to be more aggressive and take advantage of that.

My last 26 years of working - was spent dealing with these entities in the South Bay of the L.A. basin. The business community there - which builds and produces - has a lot of concerns. Corporate taxes and other regulations, etc. Cost of living for their employees...quality of life...crime, etc. I believe I'm in tune with the 21st century. In this century, in 2005, Nissan's American corporation based in Carson - which employed 4,000 employees - moved to Tennessee. Tennessee offered $200 million and paid for everyone's move. California, with nearly six times more people - showed very little care - and offered $20 million to keep them from relocating. Just a few years ago - 2015, Toyota's American headquarters next door in Torrance - bailed - and left for Dallas. The city of Torrance and the state of California - hadn't a clue - were caught with their pants down. It was a big embarrassment. What were these city and state employees doing - walking the halls of the capitol building and city hall smiling at everyone all day long?

You comment on this site almost on a regular basis. I rarely do. When I do - I do because I have an interest in the subject and would like to input my opinion and experiences - that can add some value and insight.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 1:13 AM

I appreciate hearing from someone with California experience. I too have experienced shocking levels of bureaucracy and lack of concern from California regulatory bodies in my field. Thankfully, the state of Arizona and its cities deliberately work to streamline their processes with an ethos of customer service. But attracting big businesses to downtown Phoenix ignores the market dynamics of this metro in which corporate office jobs are moving away from downtown Phoenix while agglomerating in the East Valley. Illustrative of this Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, and US Bank all left downtown Phoenix towers while maintaining offices in Tempe and Chandler. Freeport McMoran is also leaving for Cotton Center near Tempe. The major out of state banks Northern Trust and Silicon Valley Bank moved directly to Tempe when expanding into this market. Bank of the West also has it's offices in Tempe. In other industries, there are quite a large number of major companies with large corporate office footprints in the East Valley including CVS, Amazon, Edward Jones, State Farm, Honeywell, Carvana, BD (Bard PV), McKesson, GoDaddy, Norton, Intel, OnSemi, Microchip Technologies, and Insight among others. If a big corporate office relocates to the metro it's likely moving into the East Valley in large part because that's where the relevant workforce resides. Additionally if you look at commuter shed reports provided by MAG you'll see the locations served by the most employers and employees are centered on the intersections of the 101 and Apache followed closely by McDowell Rd & the Scottsdale Rd while downtown Phoenix is served by half as many.

https://azmag.gov/Programs/Maps-and-...e-Shed-Reports

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 9:49 PM
Skyriser

Simultaneously complaining about taxes and not enough handouts for business is just classic Republican hypocrisy. Thank God California doesn't put up with that.

Nissan and Toyota moved their headquarters because it was no longer as important to be located near Japan as it was their bases of manufacturing in the Southeast. Wake me up when Nashville produces a company like Apple, Google, or Nvidia or anything else resulting from the state's strong culture of innovation.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Simultaneously complaining about taxes and not enough handouts for business is just classic Republican hypocrisy. Thank God California doesn't put up with that.

Nissan and Toyota moved their headquarters because it was no longer as important to be located near Japan as it was their bases of manufacturing in the Southeast. Wake me up when Nashville produces a company like Apple, Google, or Nvidia or anything else resulting from the state's strong culture of innovation.
Sir this is a Wendy’s.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 12:21 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillsquad View Post
Sir this is a Wendy’s.
No, this is the Skyscraperpage forum where I've been a user for 20 years and a mod for 15, unlike you.

Regardless of my or your status here, however, I have every right to add to a conversation without tired wiseass comments from those that are clearly not following it.

Last edited by combusean; Jun 29, 2024 at 12:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSunHiker View Post
I appreciate hearing from someone with California experience. I too have experienced shocking levels of bureaucracy and lack of concern from California regulatory bodies in my field. Thankfully, the state of Arizona and its cities deliberately work to streamline their processes with an ethos of customer service. But attracting big businesses to downtown Phoenix ignores the market dynamics of this metro in which corporate office jobs are moving away from downtown Phoenix while agglomerating in the East Valley. Illustrative of this Wells Fargo, JP Morgan, and US Bank all left downtown Phoenix towers while maintaining offices in Tempe and Chandler. Freeport McMoran is also leaving for Cotton Center near Tempe. The major out of state banks Northern Trust and Silicon Valley Bank moved directly to Tempe when expanding into this market. Bank of the West also has it's offices in Tempe. In other industries, there are quite a large number of major companies with large corporate office footprints in the East Valley including CVS, Amazon, Edward Jones, State Farm, Honeywell, Carvana, BD (Bard PV), McKesson, GoDaddy, Norton, Intel, OnSemi, Microchip Technologies, and Insight among others. If a big corporate office relocates to the metro it's likely moving into the East Valley in large part because that's where the relevant workforce resides. Additionally if you look at commuter shed reports provided by MAG you'll see the locations served by the most employers and employees are centered on the intersections of the 101 and Apache followed closely by McDowell Rd & the Scottsdale Rd while downtown Phoenix is served by half as many.

https://azmag.gov/Programs/Maps-and-...e-Shed-Reports
Smart...dialed in. I'm encouraged. It has been somewhat distressing for me these last few years that we are headed towards becoming a dangerous, third world country. Looks like the Southeast Valley is becoming L.A.'s version of Orange County - Costa Mesa/ Irvine. I am interested, though, in the growth of downtown Phoenix and hope - even with some setbacks - it can keep growing in a positive way. The last time I was down there, Central Station was a big hole in the ground. I look at the couple of webcams and appreciate when people post photos - updating the progress.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 6:55 AM

In what fantasy world are we becoming a dangerous third world country? Were we a dangerous third world country when crime was higher 4 years ago? How about when it was drastically higher in the 90s and 2000s?

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcats View Post
Smart...dialed in. I'm encouraged. It has been somewhat distressing for me these last few years that we are headed towards becoming a dangerous, third world country. Looks like the Southeast Valley is becoming L.A.'s version of Orange County - Costa Mesa/ Irvine. I am interested, though, in the growth of downtown Phoenix and hope - even with some setbacks - it can keep growing in a positive way. The last time I was down there, Central Station was a big hole in the ground. I look at the couple of webcams and appreciate when people post photos - updating the progress.
There are about 7-8 cranes up downtown now, with quite a few new apartments about to come online (5,000 or more would be my guess), the vast majority of these seem to be geared towards high-end "luxury" rentals with some low income % and a few focused on student housing. There are many new restaurants, bars, and other entertainment concepts. We went out for a few drinks last night for a friends birthday, started at Harumi and moved over to a few spots near Roosevelt. Everything was really packed, which didn't used to be the case when ASU is out of school like they are now.

There are some recent articles with numbers illustrating downtown's growth/impact. We all want to see this continue and hopefully it has now reached a critical point to do so.

- About 10 years ago, in 2014, the city found about 10,000 people were living downtown.
- Today about 24,500 people live in downtown Phoenix, and it's projected by 2030, there will be 30,000.
- Projects include building about 2,500 high-density residential units with another 4,000 in planning and development.
- Downtown Phoenix generated an “incredible” economic impact of $21.2 billion in 2022, according to a newly released report.
- The downtown area supported about 140,000 jobs, including about 50,000 high-tech manufacturing employees, according to the report.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
No, this is the Skyscraperpage forum where I've been a user for 20 years and a mod for 15, unlike you.

Regardless of my or your status here, however, I have every right to add to a conversation without tired wiseass comments from those that are clearly not following it.
political snark from a mod isn't appropriate especially when you don't tolerate it form others.

Just saying

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 4:31 PM

We need some new news to discuss!!!!!!!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest