HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 9:30 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I finally noticed when a new page is starting, so I'm being proactive. Monkey's beautiful pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Anyway, mix of sun and cloud and a bit of rain all weekend. Not too hot, but has been feeling very humid.

And Town's even better one (ha!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Awesome sun/fog sunrise this morning.

Perfect double-start to a new page.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 11:00 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

George Street has been DEAFENING since 7:30 p.m., far earlier than unusual. Finally had to give in and check the cams to see WTF is going on down there.

Almost nothing.

Whoever is DJ'ing on that stage to the left:

1. Sweet Dreams and Pump Up the Jam... seriously?
2. Retire.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 11:47 PM

Today was nicer than the forecast. Was supposed to be cloudy with sunny breaks but it was pretty much the opposite.

These are from the Sheffield Conservation area, about 30 mins north of Napanee. Pretty remote for Southern Ontario, there is even a dark sky preserve adjacent to this place.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 12:32 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Lovely, no one is complaining today.

my photos Jun 30 2024

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
It's definitely more pleasant for day-to-day things (and way better for sleeping) than 30+ degree weather, though some sun & heat for a good beach day once in a while would still be appreciated.
Sorry, not calling out your post directly, it's just a good jumping off spot.

I have found the chatter interesting about the weather and it shows to me how relative everything is (and how selective memories and even observations can be).

The last three Junes were all above normal and sunnier than average.

This June has only been slightly below seasonal (averaging about 1 degree below the average). So, while not amazing, it also hasn't been terrible. Also, watching all the live cams and from the pics posted on here, while there have been a couple stretches of grey weather, there has also still been a decent amount of sunshine, especially in the interior where Osoyoos and Ashcroft will still have average highs around 26 (elsewhere between 24 and 25). Also a lot of the "rainy" days being complained about in Kamloops have been short 1 to 2 hour sprinkles or brief thunderstorms on otherwise warm and dry days. But, again, everything is relative.

The funniest part though was hearing the endless complaining about the dry conditions and forest fire risks and smoke over the last few years, everyone hoping for a wetter cooler May and June, and then when it happens, everyone is complaining again! Got to love it!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:12 AM

Weird day, very cool for summer, it was only around 19 this afternoon. Officially the high was 25.6, as yesterday was very hot and muggy and it stayed warm into the wee hours. The temperature dropped sharply from about 23 to 18 around 5am and then never went back up

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 4:07 AM
Go Chiefs!

27C with a humidex of 32 and mainly sunny. Bit of a breeze that felt refreshing. Awesome day after yesterday's BS.

Low of 22C (humidex of 30) this morning. Warm start to the day.

The warmspot was Garden River, AB at 33.2C.

Warmest low was Lac Saint-Pierre, QC at 20.2C

Windsor, ON recorded a dewpoint of 25.8C yesterday at 3PM. The new highest dewpoint this year in the country.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 11:31 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It's fittingly overcast, with sporadic spits of rain.

If you want to watch the livestream, it's available here:

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6434677

Quote:
July 1 has always been a sombre day in Newfoundland and Labrador, and this year will be especially poignant for two specific reasons.

Marked for decades as Memorial Day long before Newfoundland joined Confederation in 1949, the day serves as one of remembrance for soldiers killed or wounded in battle.

Of the 780 members of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment who went on the offensive at Beaumont-Hamel in France on July 1, 1916 — the opening day of the Battle of the Somme — only 110 survived, and just 68 were available for roll call the following day.

In St. John's on Monday, there will be an entombment ceremony for Newfoundland's Unknown Soldier, whose remains were repatriated from northern France on May. 25.

As well, the annual Memorial Day ceremony marks the centennial of the National War Memorial in downtown St. John's, first unveiled by Field Marshal Douglas Haig in 1924.

For months, the National War Memorial has been undergoing a refurbishment, with restoration work focused on elements that include restoring statues to their original elegance.

Hundreds of military members will march toward the war memorial as the hearse carrying the Unknown Soldier moves through the city.

Since Friday, the Unknown Soldier was lying in state at Confederation Building, the seat of government for Newfoundland and Labrador.

Thousands of onlookers will flood the streets, and many more are expected to watch nationally televised coverage.

Two offsite view parties are being held at The Rooms cultural complex and at the Sheraton Hotel.

Premier Justin Trudeau is among the dignitaries attending and is scheduled to speak.

It's a moment that was a long time coming.

The repatriation of Newfoundland's Unknown Soldier started with Thomas Nangle had in 1920. Nangle, who had been the regiment's Roman Catholic padre, later served as Newfoundland's director of war graves registrations and enquiries, and as the country's representative on the Imperial War Grave Commission.

His wish didn't come to fruition — that is, until a century later, when 40-year navy veteran Frank Sullivan picked up the torch to finish the task. He has been there every step of the way, including being front and centre during the repatriation ceremony at Beaumont-Hamel in May.

Sullivan's great-uncle, Pte. Charles Canning, served with the regiment in France and was killed in 1918. He has no known grave.

The man chosen as the Unknown Soldier will remain unknown so that he can represent all Newfoundlanders who did not make it home from the First World War and have no known grave.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...2024-1.7249823

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 11:48 AM

Wasn't out early enough to catch an epic sunrise this morning, not that it would've compared to yesterday anyway. Still a beautiful start to the day. It's supposed to be a sunny Canada Day and looks to be living up to that billing.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:04 PM

Cloudy, some light rain showers, and 19 degrees at 11:30am. Likely be like this for most of today.

Expecting a rainfall warning to be issued later today for Tuesday & Wednesday, with 50-100 mm of rain expected for eastern NL. That'll keep temperatures cool for most of the week. It does look like we get into a southwesterly flow near the end of the week, with some well above average temperatures and humidity looking likely for the weekend through next week.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:52 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It was amazing. Overcast for the flypast, then cloud and rain, then sun. Just an emotional sky for an emotional day. Was NOT expecting to cry, but I did.

Video Link

Also, during the ceremony, they noted that this has been in the works for a century. Initially we couldn't afford it (our government didn't even fund the National War Memorial itself, that was raised by public donations), then after Confederation Canada and France said no. When Canada added its Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, the Royal Canadian Legion Newfoundland and Labrador Command formally warned them the body cannot come from Vimy Ridge because then it could not possibly be a Newfoundlander, and we would be excluded. But they did it anyway (as they should, Vimy Ridge is very important for Canada prior to adding us), and that's what pushed our provincial government to really put their foot down and demand this, and Canada to agree, and France to agree. So well done to all involved, including me Fadder!

EDIT: There was a black wooden platform around the base of the tomb for the ceremony today (necessary as it's recessed into stairs but pallbearers needed a flat surface at the same height for the burial). I was thinking the whole time... are they going to remove that Jesus box yet? Well, they finally did. This is what the final tomb looks like - Labradorite base, Newfoundland Granite top, and our Coat of Arms (granted in 1637) on the front.

I love how modest it is. Perfect for us.

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Jul 1, 2024 at 10:55 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 3:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I watched the entire thing on TV. Very moving, very touching and extremely well done. Kudos to all.

If I had been in St. John's today, I would very definitely have been there. Rain and drizzle be damned.........

19C and partly cloudy in Moncton at noontime. Going up to 23C this afternoon.

I was watching an intense band of thundershowers marching through NB on the radar yesterday, only to see the band break up and shift off directly to the east at Lutz Mountain, just north of Moncton. I only found out after the fact that Environment Canada has issued an actual tornado warning (not a watch) for central NB. AFAIK, there were no tornado touchdowns.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 4:28 PM

was a cool 22c in Kelowna yesterday, heading up to 24c with sun and cloud and possible showers this evening.

A warm up is finally coming with highs in the mid 30s by this weekend predicted

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 6:28 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Up to 125mm for us now through Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be rough.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 8:40 PM

From a few minutes ago...

source: https://weather.gc.ca/canada_e.html

Ennadai Lake, just north of the Manitoba/Saskatchewan border

source: https://www.google.com/maps/place/En...Znlr?entry=ttu

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 9:49 PM
I stand with UKRAINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Up to 125mm for us now through Wednesday. Tomorrow is going to be rough.
Please give a few mm to my island. Sicily is experiencing the most severe drought period in recent decades. Lakes and rivers are almost dried up, the countryside is dry, agriculture and livestock farming are in serious crisis.

Consider that in summer there is little chance of rain, so it is likely that I will have to wait until the end of September for the rains (at least the heaviest ones).:frusta2 :capriccio:

DAMN MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATE. I HATE IT, IT MAKES ME VOMIT :che schifo:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 2:46 AM
Go Chiefs!

26C (humidex of 27) and sunny. Absolutely gorgeous Canada Day.

Low of 17C this morning.

The warmspot was Ennadai Lake, NU at 33.4C. I don't remember ever seeing Nunavut as warmsport in any season.

Warmest low was Lillooet, BC at 19.0C

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 3:05 AM
Go Chiefs!

June monthly average temperature was 21.0C at YUL. Warmest June since 2021 (avg of 21.6C).

MTL was a full degree warmer than Toronto. I believe only extreme Southern Ontario was warmer with Windsor leading the pack with an avg monthly temp of 21.7C.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 3:36 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Another great day in Vancouver, sunny and about 23°C at 8:30 PM.

my photos QE Park July 1 2024

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 5:34 AM
Midtowner since 2K

It was sunny and 24C today in Toronto, so after a trip downtown, I went to the Science Centre and to the Don valley for a nice walk. I saw some new milkweed plantings made, and plenty of families and bikers out having a ball. That in spite of the extensive construction all around with the Ontario Line, a ravine stabilization plan, and Science Centre closures surrounding the park on three sides (roughly):
July1st by Josh Kennington Photographics, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada