HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 3:24 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Hey Guys - Jumping out from the shadows here for a moment

I am working away on a U/C and recent completion phototour to post on Facebook Retail Talk & Share NB. An update since my last in the late winter of 2023.

Photos taken over the last week and a bit when I had some bonus days off. Just working on the organization and editing etc.

Sites covered:

Moncton Central: 13
Moncton East: 22
Moncton North: 12
Moncton West: 11

Dieppe Airport Area: 10
Dieppe Uptown: 15
Dieppe Central: 7

Riverview: 6

It was a great outing, looking forward to posting!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 3:25 PM

UNB doesn't even want UNBSJ to have 4-year engineering programs, even programs that aren't offered in Fredericton, so it's not just Moncton getting shafted by the capital.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
UNB doesn't even want UNBSJ to have 4-year engineering programs, even programs that aren't offered in Fredericton, so it's not just Moncton getting shafted by the capital.
Good point. Fredericton has treated UNBSJ as the red headed step child for 50+ years.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Good point. Fredericton has treated UNBSJ as the red headed step child for 50+ years.
And rightfully so. If there was reason rather than politics there would not be a UNBSJ.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevelopmentAndy View Post
And rightfully so. If there was reason rather than politics there would not be a UNBSJ.
Well, I'm glad to see that you aren't just picking on Moncton.

The thing is, NB is a bilingual, multipolar and highly regionalized province. There are three principle cities (of which the capital is the smallest), and at least four broadly defined regions.

Bilingualism mandates broadly equal provincial university systems in both French and English.

On the anglophone side, it makes no sense to assume that one single university campus, located in the capital can reasonably service the entire province.

If you want to place the main campus there, fine, but, subsidiary campuses in the other two major cities are mandatory. Saint John already has one. Moncton needs one.

And, since Freddy is the smallest city, there are some university faculties that have no business being located on the UNBF campus.

The medical school and the affiliated health sciences faculties are obvious. The largest and most sophisticated hospitals (tertiary care medical centres) are located in Saint John (SJRH) and in Moncton (TMH, GDH). These hospitals have the resources to be teaching hospitals. Medical education has to be located where these facilities exist. A medical school in Saint John, with clinical and post graduate (residency) training in both Saint John and Moncton only makes sense. Nursing education belongs in both cities.

There are other examples. SJ is the provincial industrial powerhouse. Perhaps the UNB school of engineering should be located there.

UNB belongs in all three cities. And, Saint Thomas University should never have been wrested away from Miramichi. It should still be there as the anglophone university for northern NB.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 1, 2024 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Well, I'm glad to see that you aren't just picking on Moncton.

The thing is, NB is a bilingual, multipolar and highly regionalized province. There are three principle cities (of which the capital is the smallest), and at least four broadly defined regions.

Bilingualism mandates broadly equal provincial university systems in both French and English.

On the anglophone side, it makes no sense to assume that one single university campus, located in the capital can reasonably service the entire province.

If you want to place the main campus there, fine, but, subsidiary campuses in the other two major cities are mandatory. Saint John already has one. Moncton needs one.

And, since Freddy is the smallest city, there are some university faculties that have no business being located on the UNBF campus.

The medical school and the affiliated health sciences faculties are obvious. The largest and most sophisticated hospitals (tertiary care medical centres) are located in Saint John (SJRH) and in Moncton (TMH, GDH). These hospitals have the resources to be teaching hospitals. Medical education has to be located where these facilities exist. A medical school in Saint John, with clinical and post graduate (residency) training in both Saint John and Moncton only makes sense. Nursing education belongs in both cities.

There are other examples. SJ is the provincial industrial powerhouse. Perhaps the UNB school of engineering should be located there.

UNB belongs in all three cities. And, Saint Thomas University should never have been wrested away from Miramichi. It should still be there as the anglophone university for northern NB.
It is exactly this kind of thinking that has held NB back for generations. NB is small. There should be no Mount A, there should be no UNBSJ, Ud M maybe because they consolidated the French institutions there. SJ being a manufacturing centre really is not relevant. At one time UNB and Fredericton had a large engineering cluster for their size and were well known and respected and attracted talent. This is already in decline, distributing it all over the small province is just going to create a larger number of 3rd rate programs.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 8:59 AM

Quote:
It is exactly this kind of thinking that has held NB back for generations. NB is small. There should be no Mount A, there should be no UNBSJ, Ud M maybe because they consolidated the French institutions there. SJ being a manufacturing centre really is not relevant. At one time UNB and Fredericton had a large engineering cluster for their size and were well known and respected and attracted talent. This is already in decline, distributing it all over the small province is just going to create a larger number of 3rd rate programs.
UNB hasn't exactly been competing with the country's premier universities to begin with, and I highly doubt it can anytime soon, even if UNBSJ is suddenly wiped out in favor of Fredericton.

The fact remains that there is a need for Moncton to expand health training programs at the very least to account for its rapid growth and expansion. NB isn't going to stay small forever, and accessibility to education will more important than daydreaming about how much UNB Fredericton will allegedly jump in quality by denying 2 other major population centres the presence of the provincial university. In fact, an argument can be made that UNB can hit better strides if it innovates and adapts certain programs to the locales it serves but I guess that is also backwards on your book.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I actually doubt that UNB has anything significant planned, but, one can always hope!

My belief is that they plan to expand their health sciences offerings in Moncton, specifically with relation to nursing education. Perhaps they plan on reinstituting the four year BN program (or an accelerated three year program) here in Moncton. If so, they would need expanded teaching facilities, including some lab and training space. The muffler shop on Assumption probably no longer fits their needs.

If so, they are probably just looking for some rental space in a semi vacant office building downtown somewhere, preferably with a bus connection to the Moncton Hospital.

If however they plan on going further, either with a junior college format (first two years of undergraduate) or, a full undergraduate campus, then, I could see them renting out a full office building like 1222 Main. At least early on, it would make sense to rent space while they decide if a full campus in Moncton is appropriate. If they get to this point, then I agree with you they might look at the Ivan Rand site as a possibility. It is adjacent to downtown, and large enough to create a university with a true campus like atmosphere.

I however do not see this happening in the short term. The way this news was leaked (to AllNB) speaks more towards a very modest increase in the UNB presence in Moncton. I think even a junior college expansion to the Hub City would have politicians all over the announcement, especially in an election year. This announcement seems very much like an "oh, by the way" sort of thing.

Still, the Moncton CMA will likely top 200,000 sometime in 2025, and, is well on it's way to the quarter million mark by the early 2030s. The province and UNB cannot ignore the educational needs of anglo Monctonians forever..........
So let's assume that UNB will only be expanding their nursing program in Moncton. For example: A four year BN program - which would need more space as you point out (lab, classroom etc). They could move to 1222 Main Street, with student attractive commercial spaces on the ground floor and perhaps student residences on the upper floors.

If at some point in the future UNB were to decide to create a full urban campus in Moncton, would this location be sufficient considering the potential for expansion into the surrounding lands?

The space between it and the Avenir Center, telegraph building, large surface parking lots behind. Heck there's even a couple of older buildings across the street on the corner of Cameron Street that could have potential if required.

I know that this is a fantasy, but if it were ever to happen, I'm just wondering if this is a location that would make sense.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 12:51 PM

How much would UdM fight UNB moving in? As stated above many students are currently anglophones and would certainly eat into their bottom line.

Also while we are on the subject. Maybe UdM should consider more campuses and programs specific to other parts of the province. The Franco population of Fredericton could use some representation and/or Edmunston.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 1:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There already are UdeM campuses in Shippegan and Edmundston.

The francophone provincial university already got the memo

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 1:31 PM

Where would a Moncton UNB campus be built? I think the lands between Junction Urban Village and Rallye Chrysler would be perfect. It’s downtown adjacent and replaces a brownfield with a University. Perhaps they could offer more programs that the university currently doesn’t offer, like more tech or science stuff. With the Atlantic science research centre being developed, that could be a huge partnership for internships and jobs!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Where would a Moncton UNB campus be built? I think the lands between Junction Urban Village and Rallye Chrysler would be perfect. It’s downtown adjacent and replaces a brownfield with a University. Perhaps they could offer more programs that the university currently doesn’t offer, like more tech or science stuff. With the Atlantic science research centre being developed, that could be a huge partnership for internships and jobs!
Keeping in mind this is all speculative, and that I imagine any UNB expansion in Moncton to be quite modest, either the Junction Urban Village phase two lands (that you mentioned) or, something like 1222 Main would be acceptable for a theoretical more major campus.

I very much doubt a leafy green campus setting for a hypothetical UNBM location. It would be cheaper for the government to consider an urban campus in a pre-existing (vacant) building like 1222 Main. There is the potential for some further expansion on this site, with as many as three adjacent buildings forming a mini campus, perhaps even with a quadrangle or two.

I would be happy with that.

Your point about the ASEC is spot on. ASEC will be a tremendous resource for both UdeM and a theoretical UNBM. There would be opportunities for cross appointments, teaching, collaborative research and internships. This is actually a strong selling feature in favour of creating a UNBM campus.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
How much would UdM fight UNB moving in? As stated above many students are currently anglophones and would certainly eat into their bottom line.
I think MonctonGoldenTriangle's point was that many francophone Moncton students actually choose to go to anglophone universities after high school graduation. There could be many reasons for this. A desire to spread their wings and move to a different city. A desire to improve their English language skills in preparation for their working careers. Perhaps a desire to attend a high quality institution, maybe with programs not available locally.

I actually doubt that too many of these francophone students would choose UNBM over UdeM. I think most of them would still be looking at attending Dalhousie, Acadia, UNBF, McGill or UofT.

Again UNBM would not be much of a threat to UdeM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:48 PM

Quote:
I think MonctonGoldenTriangle's point was that many francophone Moncton students actually choose to go to anglophone universities after high school graduation. There could be many reasons for this. A desire to spread their wings and move to a different city. A desire to improve their English language skills in preparation for their working careers. Perhaps a desire to attend a high quality institution, maybe with programs not available locally.

I actually doubt that too many of these francophone students would choose UNBM over UdeM. I think most of them would still be looking at attending Dalhousie, Acadia, UNBF, McGill or UofT.

UNB's spokesman indicated to AllNB that they would strive to avoid conflict with UdeM, so that likely means a narrow focus.

Having our province's only 4-year engineering programs concentrated in the city with the least engineering is an odd choice. Saint John should at the very least have a 4-year Chem Eng program. Mechanical would perhaps be a good fit for Moncton. Won't happen of course.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 2:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Your viewpoint is doctrinaire and shortsighted.

Again, Fredericton as a city just doesn't have the resources to support certain university programs, especially in medicine or the health sciences. Medical schools have to be co-located with tertiary care medical centres. In NB, this includes SJRH, TMH and the GDH. These are located in Moncton and Saint John. The Chalmers just doesn't cut it. Tertiary level programs like cardiac surgery, interventional cardiology, subspecialty neurology, neurosurgery, neurointerventional radiology, traumatology, vascular surgery, thoracic surgery, hepatobiliary surgery, general interventional radiology, maternal fetal medicine, perinatology, neonatal intensive care, and both medical oncology and radiation oncology all exist in Saint John and Moncton, but, not in Fredericton. A medical school simply cannot exist in Fredericton. For this reason alone, if you are planning on having NB based medical training, it has to be offered in SJ and Moncton.

But, perhaps your intention is to farm out medical training to other provinces. Maybe it would be cheaper!!! This is how things worked 20 years ago. We could just go back to buying medical school seats in Halifax, St. John's and Sherbrooke. We could also go back to sending our critically ill patients to neighbouring provinces for treatment. Is this what you want? Shit, we still outsource certain programs to neighbouring provinces as is. Programs such as pharmacy and dentistry. Why not medicine too???

You seem concerned that by having multiple campuses of UNB that we would somehow be watering down the quality of university education in the province. It should be remembered that universities have two functions - teaching and research. I agree that, in general terms, research should be concentrated in research universities. This could be UNBF. This is where postgraduate (masters, doctoral, post doctoral) training could be concentrated. This makes sense. Teaching however is less research intensive. It can be comfortably and effectively performed in smaller teaching campuses.

I went to UPEI in the 1970s. It was a wholey undergraduate teaching university at the time. I enjoyed my experience there. I received an effective science based education and was able to learn research techniques and how to write scientific papers. I was not prevented from getting into med school, and doing a specialty fellowship because I went to a primarily undergraduate university for my BSc. I was able to live and study at home for my first four years of university, and, as such, was able to save tens of thousands of dollars over having to do my BSc out of province before getting into medical school. I am from modest origins, and, the ability to save for med school while living at home for my first degree made a huge and palpable difference to me, and, may have helped influence my decision to go to med school in the first place. If, after all, I was already $50-60,000 in debt even before going to med school, I might have had real concerns about the affordability of all this.

If you believe in equity in educational opportunity, you would be in favour of having a distributed provincial university system in the province of NB.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jul 1, 2024 at 4:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 3:33 PM

I love your write ups.

It is refreshing to read an opinion based on experience and knowledge rather than whatever the heck is going on further up the thread.

Thank you.

Last edited by Riberview; Jul 1, 2024 at 4:14 PM. Reason: Typo correction

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 4:24 PM

Quote:

As a francophone who grew up here, I'd say you're spot on regarding the motivations for many French-speaking high school grads deciding to attend an anglophone university.

In many cases the primary reason is simply a desire to move to live in a much larger and more vibrant community. They're not yearning to move to Fredericton of all places. It's usually Montréal, Toronto, Ottawa or to a lesser extent Halifax for those who want to stay closer to home.

I can't possibly imagine anyone from the francophone community being opposed to or threatened by the idea of an anglophone public university in Moncton. It's not like U de M is struggling to attract students these days.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:

Again, Fredericton as a city just doesn't have the resources to support certain university programs, especially in medicine or the health sciences. Medical schools have to be co-located with tertiary care medical centres. In NB, this includes SJRH, TMH and the GDH. These are located in Moncton and Saint John. The Chalmers just doesn't cut it. Tertiary level programs like cardiac surgery, interventional cardiology, subspecialty neurology, neurosurgery, neurointerventional radiology, traumatology, vascular surgery, thoracic surgery, hepatobiliary surgery, general interventional radiology, maternal fetal medicine, perinatology, neonatal intensive care, and both medical oncology and radiation oncology all exist in Saint John and Moncton, but, not in Fredericton. A medical school simply cannot exist in Fredericton. For this reason alone, if you are planning on having NB based medical training, it has to be offered in SJ and Moncton.

But, perhaps your intention is to farm out medical training to other provinces. Maybe it would be cheaper!!! This is how things worked 20 years ago. We could just go back to buying medical school seats in Halifax, St. John's and Sherbrooke. We could also go back to sending our critically ill patients to neighbouring provinces for treatment. Is this what you want? Shit, we still outsource certain programs to neighbouring provinces as is. Programs such as pharmacy and dentistry. Why not medicine too???

You seem concerned that by having multiple campuses of UNB that we would somehow be watering down the quality of university education in the province. It should be remembered that universities have two functions - teaching and research. I agree that, in general terms, research should be concentrated in research universities. This could be UNBF. This is where postgraduate (masters, doctoral, post doctoral) training could be concentrated. This makes sense. Teaching however is less research intensive. It can be comfortably and effectively performed in smaller teaching campuses.

I went to UPEI in the 1970s. It was a wholey undergraduate teaching university at the time. I enjoyed my experience there. I received an effective science based education and was able to learn research techniques and how to write scientific papers. I was not prevented from getting into med school, and doing a specialty fellowship because I went to a primarily undergraduate university for my BSc. I was able to live and study at home for my first four years of university, and, as such, was able to save tens of thousands of dollars over having to do my BSc out of province before getting into medical school. I am from modest origins, and, the ability to save for med school while living at home for my first degree made a huge and palpable difference to me, and, may have helped influence my decision to go to med school in the first place. If, after all, I was already $50-60,000 in debt even before going to med school, I might have had real concerns about the affordability of all this.

If you believe in equity in educational opportunity, you would be in favour of having a distributed provincial university system in the province of NB.
Your comments are a perfect essay in why the maritime provinces have have failed and lived on handouts for generations while most of its best and brightest as well as most of its money goes elsewhere. The medical school example is not really relevant and the "old way" was working until the provinces would no longer fund their spots. Your stellar examples of hospitals are among the worst in the country and not actually centres of excellence of anything but waiting times.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:

New Brunswick does not have the population or money to support this. That is the short answer.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
New Brunswick does not have the population or money to support this. That is the short answer.
Yet we support an English language technical college (NBCC) in what?....6 distinct locations?

Nova Scotia isn't all that much bigger than we are and they have something like
9 Universities and degree granting colleges

Surely we could support a UNB with two satellite campuses as well as Mt A and St Thomas?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces