HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Await a response somewhat along the lines that "society made them do it, so let them off the hook".

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 6:52 PM

Speaking of starting fires. How long has that complex sat empty while people need housing?

Fire crews knock down South Vancouver blaze; one person suffers smoke inhalation
By Emma Crawford

Posted June 15, 2024 11:19 am. Last Updated June 17, 2024 11:10 am.

Vancouver Fire Rescue Service says it extinguished a fire in a building at the foot of Cambie Street near SW Marine Drive Saturday.

Assistant Chief of Operations Brad Hesse says crews were called to the blaze, which was located in a building in the area, around 11 a.m.

“Crews found some black smoke coming out of the one end of what appears to be an abandoned townhouse complex that was all boarded up and fenced at the time,” Hesse said..

..“They did find one person inside the building that was stuck in a wall cavity. They were able to rescue that person out, no signs of any severe burns or anything, but they did suffer smoke inhalation and were treated and taken to hospital by BC Ambulance.”...

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...thwest-marine/

How the f**k do you get stuck in a wall cavity?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 11:21 PM

they were talking about all the criminals being released on the radio the other day, in relation to that guy who posed as a policeman and killed a woman in a home robbery a while back, he had a list of crimes in his past. Anyway they said that the Federal Government is working on repealing or fixing their decision to go "easy" on criminals and apparently the goal was to avoid keeping them in jail.

Also, that woman who was killed the other day in Port Kells, Surrey, it was a stranger who killed her and he had a long list of crimes too.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
He was a human filling.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Maybe if your girth exceeds the stud spacing (16"?)?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 2:51 AM

The guy who was behind the random attack in Port Kells is this man: https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...bbing-suspect/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2024, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja384 View Post
The guy who was behind the random attack in Port Kells is this man: https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...bbing-suspect/
the radio this morning said he had just gotten out of jail in May and recently before that he was released and broke conditions of his parole and sounds like he should never be let out but he just keeps committing violent crimes and getting released, frustrating.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:28 PM

When even rappers from cities on the US west coast see how your city has gone to sh!t:

‘Pretty rough around here’: Hip-hop legend Warren G walks the streets of Vancouver

By Darrian Matassa-Fung & Jordan Armstrong Global News
Posted June 27, 2024

Three popular West Coast hip-hop artists were in Vancouver on Tuesday night for the Cali to Canada Tour.

Snoop Dogg, Dj Quik and Warren G performed at Rogers Arena, filling thousands of seats in the venue.

But before the well-received concert, Warren G posted a video to his Instagram account, talking to the camera while walking in Vancouver’s downtown core.

“It’s a trip … the streets of Vancouver … pretty rough around here. Everywhere ain’t peaches and cream,” he said in the video. “You know being from the States, we think that (there) ain’t (other) places that are rough but it’s rough everywhere. Drugs everywhere, gang s–t everywhere.”

The extent of open drug use and the appearance of violence in the streets was a surprise to the 53-year-old who hails from Long Beach, Calif...

https://globalnews.ca/news/10592169/...n-g-vancouver/

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 7:56 PM

Quote:
When even rappers from cities on the US west coast see how your city has gone to sh!t:

‘Pretty rough around here’: Hip-hop legend Warren G walks the streets of Vancouver

By Darrian Matassa-Fung & Jordan Armstrong Global News
Posted June 27, 2024

Three popular West Coast hip-hop artists were in Vancouver on Tuesday night for the Cali to Canada Tour.

Snoop Dogg, Dj Quik and Warren G performed at Rogers Arena, filling thousands of seats in the venue.

But before the well-received concert, Warren G posted a video to his Instagram account, talking to the camera while walking in Vancouver’s downtown core.

“It’s a trip … the streets of Vancouver … pretty rough around here. Everywhere ain’t peaches and cream,” he said in the video. “You know being from the States, we think that (there) ain’t (other) places that are rough but it’s rough everywhere. Drugs everywhere, gang s–t everywhere.”

The extent of open drug use and the appearance of violence in the streets was a surprise to the 53-year-old who hails from Long Beach, Calif...

https://globalnews.ca/news/10592169/...n-g-vancouver/
Hence, we aren't exaggerating when we say this town is one of the most rundown in the developed world: it's all about our failure to handle important issues. We tend to let our own problems fester and worsen while choosing to be ignorant to hard facts on the ground. It takes a celebrity to speak out before anyone will even take notice.

One of the biggest failures would be the judicial system. Can judges be held accountable for the problems they cause to our society? We seriously need to look at those people who are paid lots of money but fail to do their job.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 10:53 PM

I heard it's the politicians. the Liberals directed the courts to go easy on things and avoid jail time for crime. Something like that and they are now trying to come up with a new tactic or shift as the idea was a big failure.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
I heard it's the politicians. the Liberals directed the courts to go easy on things and avoid jail time for crime. Something like that and they are now trying to come up with a new tactic or shift as the idea was a big failure.
Hmm, and they all believe that in a Western democracy the Courts and Politics are independent.

Politicians should be held accountable as well. They are also paid quite a bit from our taxes.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
Finally, someone speaking some sense.
I must carry a 'will and testament' on me at all times if when I'm not in a sane state of mind, which states, "If I am (become) a drug addict, I give consent (please force me) into a cold turkey treatment, I beg of you!, don't feed me (free) drugs as a treatment"
Same deal with a caring mom preventing a baby from putting shit into his own mouth. The baby does not have the brain capacity to make correct decisions.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2024, 1:11 AM

More international “recognition ” for Vancouver, this time from The Economist:

Americas | Canada’s overdose capital
Vancouver pioneered liberal drug policies. Fentanyl destroyed them
So-called harm-reduction measures have become a rod for Justin Trudeau’s back

Jun 27th 2024|vancouver

He is unconscious, barely breathing, sprawled on a pavement in downtown Vancouver. When the firefighters arrive, a bystander explains that the man has overdosed on fentanyl, a powerful synthetic opioid. While one firefighter pumps oxygen into the victim’s mouth, another injects him with naloxone, which reverses the chemical effect of opioids. The first shot does nothing; a second is administered. The man sits up, then stumbles to his feet. Refusing all offers of further help, he staggers away down the street. The firefighters can only watch him go.….

https://www.economist.com/the-americ...i_ecmp=1901445

Last edited by whatnext; Jul 6, 2024 at 4:24 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 2:16 AM

Seems like both have Moldovian/Romanian names. Gypsies?

Quote:
Police say a man and a woman involved in complex shoplifting cases in Metro Vancouver have been sentenced after pleading guilty.

In a release Tuesday, the Surrey RCMP says that 39-year-old Emil Marian Stan and 51-year-old Nicoleta Rusu from Ontario will be deported after serving time.

“Stan and Rusu have been held to account for their criminal actions, with the loss of their freedom and the opportunity to reside in Canada,” North Community Response Unit Commander Sgt. Nigel Pronger said.

“Their fate serves as a warning to those who wish to profit through crime.”

The release did not say to which country Stan and Rusu will be deported.

Pronger says the RCMP works closely with retail partners and police agencies across the province and nation to ensure safe retail spaces.

“We will continue our work in preventing retail theft as part of our crime reduction strategy,” he said.

Stan was convicted of 7 counts of theft under $5,000, 2 counts of theft over $5,000, and 1 count of possession of stolen property over $5,000.

Rusu was convicted of 2 counts of theft under $5,000, 2 counts of theft over $5,000, and 1 count of possession of stolen property over $5,000.
https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...ence-deported/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Seems like both have Moldovian/Romanian names. Gypsies?
Not everyone knows this and I'd like to think no ill-will was intended, but the term "gypsy" is today considered pejorative and a racial slur against the Romani people. This is not to be confused with Romanians, about 90-95% are NOT Romani. Sorry, no lecture intended...but thought it needed to be corrected. Thanks.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 7:44 PM

The most remarkable thing about that story is that Canada is actually deporting people for criminal behaviour.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forager View Post
Not everyone knows this and I'd like to think no ill-will was intended, but the term "gypsy" is today considered pejorative and a racial slur against the Romani people. This is not to be confused with Romanians, about 90-95% are NOT Romani. Sorry, no lecture intended...but thought it needed to be corrected. Thanks.
Interesting, I never noticed that. It seems like newspapers have opted for "Romanian organized crime circles" or groups or rings.

Coquitlam RCMP called them "Romanian Organized Theft Groups" in 2021 and got some backlash from some activists..

https://www.tricitynews.com/local-ne...tivist-3581269

I wonder if that's why Surrey RCMP didn't want to release where they were being deported to..

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forager View Post
So I guess the word Romani is used to describe Gypsies today? Just like the European Jews, the Romani communities left India for Europe a long time ago, specifically in the 11th century. They do deserve a word to describe them.

It is interesting that the term "Gypsy" became derogatory while the word "Romani" isn't. The word "Jew" or "Juden" was used in a derogatory manner prior to WW2 in Germany-Austria, but has survived intact today. Similarly in Canada, we prefer to use "Inuit" over "Eskimo", or "First Nations" over "Indians". Very interesting. Hence it is safe to say that regular words used today may become derogatory in the future.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 7:57 PM

Quote:
The most remarkable thing about that story is that Canada is actually deporting people for criminal behaviour.
Too bad we can't deport the really bad criminals who are citizens.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues