HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

View Poll Results: How many people will inhabit the Winnipeg CMA in 2026?
850,000-874,999 4 9.09%
875,000-889,000 9 20.45%
890,000-904,999 17 38.64%
905,000+ 14 31.82%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:21 PM
jammon member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I'm afraid I don't understand what Stonewall has to do with Pride or why it exists. I imagine I'm about to be humbled when someone here tells me it has nothing to do with the town NW of Winnipeg.

I also think it odd that BLM or what ever other movement would take part or be asked to take part in Pride. They seem like different movements and adding one takes away from the attempt to raise awareness of the other. Either way, neither directly involve me and how they choose to operate is none of my business.
They don't. They have a history of blockading other events to get their point across. They did it at Toronto pride a few years ago and now many cities don't invite police to attend because of the issues it raises. Winnipeg is one of the few cities that allows the police to participate, but they aren't allowed to march as an association unlike the fire and paramedic services. Too much controversy.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This is such an ignorant comment. White christians specially protestants are the most tolerant and accepting religion of lgbtw. You clearly have no clue what youre talking about. Just look at angelican, united, presbyterian churches etc etc... they ARE ALL very accepting of lgbtc. Trying reading what the official stance of the Anglican church or the united church of Canada is on these issues before you run your mouth.

Most Christians coming into Canada these days are not even white but african, filipino and there is a very small nuber of Latinos here but they are not white. You are a bigot a hypocite and prvileged white liberal that has absolutely no clue wtf they're tlaking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
This is Canada we are not allowed to call out Muslims, only Christians. Muslims, SIkhs are perfect and can do no wrong.
I only singled out Christians because they are by far the biggest and most influential religious group in the country, 6x more followers than every other religion combined. Sikhs and even Muslims don't have widespread influence over our politics and culture in Canada, Christians do.

But to be fully honest I find all religion vexing and I often have trouble understanding how so many people still subscribe to stone-age mythologies in the year 2024. Like I get why people came up with these things back when we didn't know what the sun was and all but why it persists is mind-boggling.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammon View Post
They don't. They have a history of blockading other events to get their point across. They did it at Toronto pride a few years ago and now many cities don't invite police to attend because of the issues it raises. Winnipeg is one of the few cities that allows the police to participate, but they aren't allowed to march as an association unlike the fire and paramedic services. Too much controversy.
It happened in Edmonton too a few years back. A BLM associated group pretty much tried to shake down the Edmonton Pride group, making a list of demands that were pretty much ridiculous, and showing up uninvited to some of Pride's business meetings, trying to intimidate the board.

Pride ended up cancelling the entire event, rather than give in to the demands of the BLM version of Pride.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardTH View Post

But to be fully honest I find all religion vexing and I often have trouble understanding how so many people still subscribe to stone-age mythologies in the year 2024. Like I get why people came up with these things back when we didn't know what the sun was and all but why it persists is mind-boggling.
Believe it or not "science" and "Christianity" are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of sites on-line that will explain Christian philosophy and worldview if one is genuinely interested in trying to understand it within the context of current scientific knowledge. You may also learn something of the basis of Christian moral principles, and why it opposes moral relativism. You may also find out why so many Christians struggle with the very values they espouse (hint: think of the Church more as a hospital than a country club-we're all struggling here).

Then again, if you don't want to learn anything you don't have to. I fully understand that it can be easier, if not safer, to rely on popular cliches. Some people who start off by trying to "trash" Christianity end up becoming Christian themselves.

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:03 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
I'm afraid you're only aware of half the full picture here.

First problem is that you're right: Canadians don't want the jobs that Indians are taking. If that were all there were to it, there would be no problem. However, there is a HUGE problem with it because of why those jobs are unwanted. They're unwanted because they don't pay nearly enough to live on. That people are taking those jobs is what keeps the wages so low. The net effect of this is that we're not getting immigrants, we're getting their countries of origin. We see this every day with the further erosion of the middle class.

The second issue here is that there's an old and well-known phenomenon at play: ex-Indians take advantage of new Indians in Canada. It's the same for all nationalities but because of the current situation this is about Indians.

Ethnic Indians tell the feds that nobody will work for them. The feds (and we'll assume there's no corruption at play) say, "Oh! That's terrible. Well, let's let you import all the people you need" But it doesn't end there. No. These Indo-Canadian bosses buy a house. They tell their marks in India that if they come work for them in Canada, they'll have a place to stay and a job. So some poor sucker in India winds up working for slave wages and paying exorbitant rent for space in a small house he has to share with 9 other people. And you can forget about the boss observing Canadian law: What's "overtime"? What's a fire code? What's paid time off? "Well, in any case, those things don't apply to you because you're not Canadian."

It's a scam all around for the overwhelming majority of Indian TFWs and Canadian citizens. It's not as simple as saying, "Well, Canadians don't want those jobs so why not let Indians do them?"

My friend has a job he's offering at his company starting wage 25-35 an hour for exterminator inspectionsa at his business in northern mb comes wirh a house no one's applying he's posted it on the job bank and the other sites not one resume in a year hes been trying to hire someone. Only local he found worked till he got paid then ran away on a drunk 6monrhs ago

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 1:29 PM

timely article on CTV about immigration and past 20 years in Canada. India had a massive spike in 2023, 78k vs Phllipines 37k

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/what-i...hows-1.6943736

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Believe it or not "science" and "Christianity" are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of sites on-line that will explain Christian philosophy and worldview if one is genuinely interested in trying to understand it within the context of current scientific knowledge.
The difficulty here is that the denominations of Christianity that are most 'compatible' with science are shrinking, at least in the Western world. Examples of those include the United Church (in Canada), the Anglican Church, and mainstream Catholicism. These sects properly see the bible as a collection of mythical stories.

The fastest growing sect of Christianity is Pentecostalism, which is fundamentally incompatible with science. They general take a more literal view of the bible, with the most extreme believing in things that are factually unproven or untrue, such as a worldwide flood or agreeing with Bishop Ussher's view that the year of creation was 4004 B.C.

I'd argue, then that Christianity as a whole is drifting away from compatibility with science, much like what has happened in Islam with its drift towards Wahhabism. It's a shame because some of the greatest scientists and scientific discoveries have come out of those who were firmly Christian or Islamic, but here we are.

With regards to morals, many Atheists, including myself, would say that they are not moral relativists, but that they just don't need to consult a book to figure out what is right or wrong, but that could be seen as a rather glib answer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The difficulty here is that the denominations of Christianity that are most 'compatible' with science are shrinking, at least in the Western world. Examples of those include the United Church (in Canada), the Anglican Church, and mainstream Catholicism. These sects properly see the bible as a collection of mythical stories.

The fastest growing sect of Christianity is Pentecostalism, which is fundamentally incompatible with science. They general take a more literal view of the bible, with the most extreme believing in things that are factually unproven or untrue, such as a worldwide flood or agreeing with Bishop Ussher's view that the year of creation was 4004 B.C.

I'd argue, then that Christianity as a whole is drifting away from compatibility with science, much like what has happened in Islam with its drift towards Wahhabism. It's a shame because some of the greatest scientists and scientific discoveries have come out of those who were firmly Christian or Islamic, but here we are.

With regards to morals, many Atheists, including myself, would say that they are not moral relativists, but that they just don't need to consult a book to figure out what is right or wrong, but that could be seen as a rather glib answer.
Two points. I would argue that there are two "science vs Christianity" arguments one often sees online. One is "science the investigative method" vs Christianity. Here I see no conflict. The scientific method has, and continues to be, the best method humanity has to investigate the natural world, but it has it's limitations. I quote from an online article from UC Berkley: "Questions that deal with supernatural explanations are, by definition, beyond the realm of nature — and hence, also beyond the realm of what can be studied by science. For many, such questions are matters of personal faith and spirituality."

Here's a link to the entire article if you're interested:

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/understa...e-does-not-do/

The essence of Christianity is largely supernatural, though with applications of moral principles for the human world. The scientific method simply can't be applied to questions of aesthetics. morals or faith. My personal opinion is that there is no conflict here at all, as they exist indifferent ballparks, as it were.

As Einstein one famously said: "It has often been said, and certainly not without justification, that the man of science is a poor philosopher. Why then should it not be the right thing for the physicist to let the philosopher do the philosophizing?"

Disclaimer: yes, I know a lot of people who describe themselves as "Christian" routinely cross that line. There are roughly 2 billion Christians in the world representing roughly 45,000 denominations. We can't all be painted with the same brush

The other version of "science vs Christianity" seems to consist of non-scientist enthusiasts; science "boosters" as it were, who hold the belief that "science" can and will answer every question. They reject the idea that "science" has limitations, and take it upon themselves (for reasons of their own) to attack what they see is a challenge to their viewpoint. They often seem to claim ownership of "rational thought" in their attacks which characterize any kind of faith journey as the ramblings of the ignorant or feeble minded. There are many kinds of haters in this world, and personally I classify many of these people as part of that sad cadre.

My second point has to do with morality and moral relativism. I agree that many atheists have positive, uplifting personal moral codes. In fact, some of them practice it in their daily lives a heck of a lot better than many "Christians" do. Since they apparently "don't need to consult a book to figure out what is right or wrong" I'm not sure where they get their code from. Perhaps there is a moral code gene that has yet to be discovered by science? Anyway, I digress.

In a naturalistic world, humanity is a result of a series of purely natural processes. There is no intellect or purpose to it's existence, it simply arose, beating the greatest odds in the unthinking universe to become a thinking, self-aware creature. It is born, it lives, it dies. There is nothing before or after. It has no purpose other than the purpose it gives itself. Morality is just one of the tools it has created for it's own purposes.

Here's my question. Without an objective standard by which to judge one's morality, a standard set in place by a Creator intelligence, can one legitimately claim that some moral codes are better than others? If we all just make up our own rules, as it were, can we claim that the moral code of a Mother Theresa is better or worse than the moral code of a Pol Pot, Stalin or Hitler? Of course some people point to community standards or the importance of having a shared concept of "right" and "wrong" in order for societies to work, but history shows us that is not always the case. Was slavery "right" when it was considered by majorities to be beneficial? Majorities in the U.S. south felt that blacks were unfit to drink water from the same fountains as they did. Was it "right", then became "wrong" over time? How is there incentive for the individual to "do what's right" when it can be much more profitable, if one is clever enough, to be completely self-centred? In a world where humans are simply cosmic accidents, and where there is no "before" or "after", no "right " or "wrong" other than what we create for ourselves, then the moral standard that makes the most sense belongs to the Donald Trumps of the world; gat as much as you can for yourself, by any means, and be smart enough not to get punished by others. You live and die a completely self-centred life and then into oblivion.

I'm not saying Christianity has all the answers. In fact, Christianity itself says it doesn't have all the answers. The phrase "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." refers to the fact that, in this life, we only see part of our purpose, and that the nature of our existence will be revealed to us at a later date.

What I'm saying is, for me, in a completely personal declaration, Christianity is the best, most challenging, difficult, frustrating and ultimately fulfilling life for me. I've had moments in my adult life where I've had to confront the conflicting messages of the secular world and the Christian world, and been forced to choose between them. While I believe there are legitimate, rational reasons for accepting the existence of a Creator, I admit my reasons for staying a Christian are entirely personal. The life a secular world offers me is simply too banal and empty a vision for me to accept.

Christianity and science are not antagonists unless we want to make them so. If you ask the question "why does the water boil in the kettle?", the scientist will tell us the heat from the stove element acts upon the base of the kettle, making it's molecules speed up, which intern speeds up the motion of the molecules in the water, causing it to boil. If you ask a non-scientist "why does the water boil in the kettle?", they may answer "because I wanted to make myself some tea". They are both legitimate answers, and i feel both the scientific meths and Christianity have legitimate answers to our questions.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2024, 5:33 PM
jammon member

Quote:
I only singled out Christians because they are by far the biggest and most influential religious group in the country, 6x more followers than every other religion combined. Sikhs and even Muslims don't have widespread influence over our politics and culture in Canada, Christians do.

I agree. And I think part of the problem is that a great number of self-identified Christians are wholly accepting and understanding people, but the media is a huge purveyor of the right wing and the outliers like Candice Cameron-Bure and her brother that are constantly in the media espousing "Christian and family virtues." And unfortunately, that's a lot of what we see in the media and Christianity has been tied with this radical label of anti everything, especially LGBTQIA+ rights.

I'm gay and a self-identified Christian and my experience is that most people are pretty accepting. However, the whole Trump movement and hatred towards minorities and violence in the middle east has really created a divide between those with practical views (in my mind the great majority of us) and those radicals who seem to get media coverage because of the way they express their views. It's rather unfortunate. Winnipeg pride is such a perfect example of that given that there was a lot of coverage about this small group of radicals blocking the parade and that's what we focused on, rather than the celebration of a community.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 2:35 PM

Quote:
It’s absolutely pathetic that LGTBQ police officers can’t be represented in a pride parade.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 2:48 PM

Quote:
I agree. And I think part of the problem is that a great number of self-identified Christians are wholly accepting and understanding people, but the media is a huge purveyor of the right wing and the outliers like Candice Cameron-Bure and her brother that are constantly in the media espousing "Christian and family virtues." And unfortunately, that's a lot of what we see in the media and Christianity has been tied with this radical label of anti everything, especially LGBTQIA+ rights.

I'm gay and a self-identified Christian and my experience is that most people are pretty accepting. However, the whole Trump movement and hatred towards minorities and violence in the middle east has really created a divide between those with practical views (in my mind the great majority of us) and those radicals who seem to get media coverage because of the way they express their views. It's rather unfortunate. Winnipeg pride is such a perfect example of that given that there was a lot of coverage about this small group of radicals blocking the parade and that's what we focused on, rather than the celebration of a community.
What happened at pride was pathetic. And the whole queers for Palestine movement is a fucking joke. They’d be stoned and likely killed for kissing their gay lovers on the streets of gaza. Just mind boggling how pathetic these people really are.

And let’s not forget the wave of hate crimes that hit Christian communities over the last several years with roughly 80 churches being burned and vandalized across the country. And nobody really cared. If it was mosques… wow. But it was just Christian churches so who cares.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:

And it was under these Christian’s we adopted gay marriage and abortion. So keep telling them how awful they are.

You should look up photos of the anti pride protests happening across Canada right now…. Not a whole lot of white people in attendance.

Pictures here. https://nowtoronto.com/news/anti-pri...on-in-schools/

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
And it was under these Christian’s we adopted gay marriage and abortion. So keep telling them how awful they are.

You should look up photos of the anti pride protests happening across Canada right now…. Not a whole lot of white people in attendance.

Pictures here. https://nowtoronto.com/news/anti-pri...on-in-schools/
Yeah I suppose it looks that way if you cherry-pick an event organized by an Islamic group and just ignore all the others. Why can't you guys debate in good faith?

https://pembinavalleyonline.com/arti...ace-in-winkler

Old Posted Jun 29, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
not to mention pretty much all the homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and numerous chrairites implemented and run by Christian related organisations. There is good and bad about every religion. I see no point in singling out a specific religion, and telling us how "bad" it is.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jul 1, 2024 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 1:01 AM

Quote:
The Toronto Pride march was once again hijacked by a special interest group. This time it was those annoying "pro-Palestine" demonstrators, who shut the march down.

Having said that, Canada is still the most tolerant country in the World when it comes to the LGBTQ community.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Jul 2, 2024 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 12:05 PM

Love how these losers think one of the most ostracized communities in human history has to bend down and kisses the asses of a people that would stone and behead them.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 1:39 PM
What could go wrong?

I think this is the population thread...

According to the population clock Manitoba is approaching the 1.5m mark.
1,497,325 as of this morning.

I don't know that it actually means anything, but it relates to this thread.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 1:49 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

The suggestion was made several pages back that the Winnipeg CMA would be about 63% of that, meaning that it would be about 943,000 if those numbers are to be believed. On the low end, if the CMA is expressed as being 61% of the population, then it would be 913,000.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 2:22 PM

Quote:

Well said. I feel it's important to offer alternate views to the "all those (fill in the blank) are horrible/to blame for most of/all our problems" discussions when they arise.

On the population question, it's great to see the province growing!

Old Posted Jul 2, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post

The Flying Spaghetti Monster extends its Tentacle of Gratitude to you for trying to bring this thread back on topic, Biff! LOL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan