I remember seeing that parking garage when I visited New York City and thought that it was a poor use of prime property. I’m glad to see that it will be developed.
KPF’s design for 515 Seventh Avenue has recently received New York City Council approval, authorizing the redevelopment of a pivotal Garment District site into a vibrant new mixed-use tower.
The façade draws inspiration from the district’s industrial masonry tradition, employing a gradient of brick tones to create a contextual yet distinctive presence on the skyline. The design’s “vertical stitch” motif references the warp and weft of fabric through interwoven brick piers and spandrels in homage to the area’s textile legacy.
At ground level, a large covered public space invites pedestrians inside the building, elevating the surrounding urban realm and enriching the commercial activity of the area.
…..Also approved during the meeting were plans for a roughly 355,000-square-foot tower at 515 Seventh Ave. in the Garment District. The proposed building either would rise 36 stories and include 255 hotel rooms as well as office space, or would stand 38 stories tall and include only office space.