HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 7:08 PM

Also, take this with a grain of salt for now, but apparently the resurrected Mexicana de Aviación plans to set up a base at Tijuana with flights to Portland (link in Spanish).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
...continues at the Oregonian.
Got that name drop

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Also, take this with a grain of salt for now, but apparently the resurrected Mexicana de Aviación plans to set up a base at Tijuana with flights to Portland (link in Spanish).
I could see this actually being a fairly popular route for PDX.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 7:16 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
I could see this actually being a fairly popular route for PDX.
The three places Portlanders love to fly to, Hawaii, Vegas, and Tijuana!

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
The three places Portlanders love to fly to, Hawaii, Vegas, and Tijuana!
With 14% of Oregon's population being Latino, there are a lot of people who travel back and forth from Mexico and other Latin American countries.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 10:42 PM

The Volaris flight to Guadalajara seems to do really well, carrying a lot more passengers in 2023 than it did in 2019. While I'm a little skeptical that the Mexicana flight to Tijuana will ever materialize, I do hope the success of the Guadalajara flight will encourage someone to fly to Portland from Mexico City or Monterrey. Unfortunately it seems like Alaska is only interested in serving Mexican beach destinations during the winter.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Here's what Powell's Books new PDX airport store will look like

After four years, Powell’s Books is returning to Portland International Airport.

The Port of Portland Wednesday revealed it has reached a seven-year lease agreement with the company, which operates the world’s largest independent bookstore. Powell's had closed the location in July 2020.

Powell's said the new 1,940-square-foot store will open as construction on PDX's main terminal hits its second phase, which looks to be sometime after August. A temporary kiosk shop will open later this summer.

“Since the day we closed our airport store almost four years ago, the most common question from shoppers has been, ‘Will Powell’s be returning to PDX?’ Today I’m very excited to finally answer yes,” Powell’s Books CEO Patrick Bassett said in a release. “We always hoped to return to PDX and now with the main terminal expansion we are thrilled to serve travelers through our world-renowned airport.”
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 8:51 PM

Volunteers needed for "PDX Airport Dress Rehearsal" on August 3rd

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 7:39 PM

Nice to see Powell’s returning to pdx. And I think I’m gonna have to volunteer to check out the new terminal

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 8:39 PM

Alaska Airlines to add flights between Portland and New Orleans

Updated: Jun. 18, 2024, 1:32 p.m.
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

Quote:
Alaska Airlines says it plans to add daily nonstop flights between Portland International Airport and New Orleans, a new seasonal destination for PDX.

Alaska said the new service would launch in January and continue through the spring.

The route is PDX’s 55th nonstop destination. Flights will depart from Portland in the morning, Alaska said, while return flights will arrive in the evening.
(Continues):https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...w-orleans.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 4:11 PM

Reduction in number of weekly flights (and seats given similar size planes). International traffic going the wrong direction at PDX.

Will be interesting to see that livery in PDX though.

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...r-flights.html

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
International traffic going the wrong direction at PDX.
I'm not sure I agree with this.

In 2023, PDX ended the year with 753,084 international passengers; up 24.6% over 2022. The 2024 May year-to-date statistics show international passengers up 16.7% over the same period in 2023; at 297,801 international passengers year-to-date we're slightly up over the same period in 2019 where there were 286,244 international passengers. Of the foreign carriers at PDX (Air Canada, British Airways, Condor, Iceland Air, Jazz Air, Volaris and Westjet) all of their numbers are up year-to-date, and ended 2023 up on 2022.

The decrease in frequency with the Delta-to-KLM isn't great, but it should be seen in the context of British Airways launching flights that are carrying about 75% of the number of passengers Delta had on the Amsterdam flight pre-pandemic.

It does kill any remaining hope of Delta (re)-starting flights to Asia from PDX, though at this point I wasn't too hopeful on that. I'm sure the Port of Portland is busy trying to recruit an Asian carrier to fly here.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 7:03 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with this.

In 2023, PDX ended the year with 753,084 international passengers; up 24.6% over 2022. The 2024 May year-to-date statistics show international passengers up 16.7% over the same period in 2023; at 297,801 international passengers year-to-date we're slightly up over the same period in 2019 where there were 286,244 international passengers. Of the foreign carriers at PDX (Air Canada, British Airways, Condor, Iceland Air, Jazz Air, Volaris and Westjet) all of their numbers are up year-to-date, and ended 2023 up on 2022.

The decrease in frequency with the Delta-to-KLM isn't great, but it should be seen in the context of British Airways launching flights that are carrying about 75% of the number of passengers Delta had on the Amsterdam flight pre-pandemic.

It does kill any remaining hope of Delta (re)-starting flights to Asia from PDX, though at this point I wasn't too hopeful on that. I'm sure the Port of Portland is busy trying to recruit an Asian carrier to fly here.
I agree. I think this has more to do with Delta wanting to end long haul flights in Portland and focus on Seattle. KLM sees that BA has taken the larger cut of the PDX to EURO market since it goes to Heathrow, a much larger hub than Amsterdam.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure