HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
It looks like it's owned by ICI Properties now. Seems like they're asking about $3000/month for a 934 sq ft unit.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...e-Brochure.pdf

https://www.iciproperties.com/listings
If I was a rich dude with money to blow I'd buy up these historic properties and set up a non-profit land trust. Give businesses that are worthy the rent at slightly above cost. It's ridiculous how these corporate types sit on vacant storefronts for years on end to the detriment of their neighbours.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borkborkbork View Post
who owns this location? and how is it that commercial landlords can't afford to cut rent but they can seemingly afford to have their CRUs go vacant in near perpetuity?
I don't get it either. Maybe the landlords would rather leave them vacant instead of lowering the rent and putting their property's perceived value at risk? Whatever the reason, leaving them vacant seems to be the lesser evil for them.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 11:05 PM

I recall hearing that the Pollards let a small charity or community organization operate within one of the Fortune Block units for free/very cheap with the stipulation that they would have to move along once a market rate tenant wanted it. Seems like that model strikes a nice balance.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon_vivant View Post
I don't get it either. Maybe the landlords would rather leave them vacant instead of lowering the rent and putting their property's perceived value at risk? Whatever the reason, leaving them vacant seems to be the lesser evil for them.
The top comment is a pretty good summation.

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-commerc...favorable-rate

Nothing like favouring lending potential over the health of neighbourhoods. Accountants and their consequences have been a disaster for the human race haha.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
Accountants and their consequences have been a disaster for the human race haha.
In the market for a cabin?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalf View Post
In the market for a cabin?
I would love one but some bloody bean counters bought all the cheap ones for AirBNBs lol. There's three kinds of people I hate in this world, fascists, commies and infinite growth drinks to the moon corporatists. Those assholes ruin everything haha.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:20 AM

Hey Folks,

I'll be leading a free walking tour of infill housing around Osborne Village from 7:00 - 8:00 pm this Wednesday (June 26). We'll be starting in the southwest corner of Fort Rouge Park (by the poster-board) and then walking around the neighbourhood for about an hour. It's chance to see some of the recently completed projects and take a look at some of the ones still under construction. Afterwards, we'll be heading to one of the bars for a bit (bring cash). It will be a very casual tour so if you're not doing anything on Wednesday night why not come out and join us!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:53 AM

Quote:
Hey Folks,

I'll be leading a free walking tour of infill housing around Osborne Village from 7:00 - 8:00 pm this Wednesday (June 26). We'll be starting in the southwest corner of Fort Rouge Park (by the poster-board) and then walking around the neighbourhood for about an hour. It's chance to see some of the recently completed projects and take a look at some of the ones still under construction. Afterwards, we'll be heading to one of the bars for a bit (bring cash). It will be a very casual tour so if you're not doing anything on Wednesday night why not come out and join us!

Super great initiative!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:18 PM

Anybody know whats happening with the long vacant and derelict Rubin Block on Osborne South at Morley? Notice some construction fencing up and a porta-potty at the back door of the building. Been boarded up for a long time and i think was on a list for most at risk heritage structures at one time.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercity View Post
Anybody know whats happening with the long vacant and derelict Rubin Block on Osborne South at Morley? Notice some construction fencing up and a porta-potty at the back door of the building. Been boarded up for a long time and i think was on a list for most at risk heritage structures at one time.
I can't say anything yet but there is work happening behind the scenes. Hopefully an announcement will happen soon.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
I can't say anything yet but there is work happening behind the scenes. Hopefully an announcement will happen soon.
This is great news. I hope whatever venture it is is successful.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 10:34 PM

Quote:
It looks like it's owned by ICI Properties now. Seems like they're asking about $3000/month for a 934 sq ft unit.
ICI is just a broker. They're not the owners

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:04 AM

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 5:39 PM

Great walking tour of the area yesterday evening-- thanks ColdRain&Snow. Very informative, and a good chance to get an up close look at all the great development and potential in the area.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutlander View Post
Great walking tour of the area yesterday evening-- thanks ColdRain&Snow. Very informative, and a good chance to get an up close look at all the great development and potential in the area.
Thanks for coming out! It was nice to meet you.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for coming out! It was nice to meet you.
Thanks for the tour and nice meeting you and some of the YIMBY's and Skyscraper personalities. Always nice to geek out on urban planning!

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnedmenno View Post
Thanks for the tour and nice meeting you and some of the YIMBY's and Skyscraper personalities. Always nice to geek out on urban planning!
Yeah it was a fun time! Thanks for joining us.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan