HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 11:03 PM
Philly Pholly

I would like to see a pedestrian bridge from Lemon Hill to the Zoo/34th Street.
Ramps to MLK and Kelly Drive
Lemon Hill Bridge 6-1-24 cropped by , on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
I would like to see a pedestrian bridge from Lemon Hill to the Zoo/34th Street.
Ramps to MLK and Kelly Drive
Lemon Hill Bridge 6-1-24 cropped by , on Flickr
Love that idea. Considering how central the Fairmount is, it’s very disconnected…especially to the west.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Pretty shocked they picked Lemon Hill. Can Independence Mall not fit that many people? Like most of Fairmount Park, the lemon hill picnic area is just run down. Cracked pavement, decaying pavilions, overflowing trashcans and litter left from disrespectful citizens. Maybe they will add some access to Kelly Drive. There's the old ornate staircase at Sedgley and then no other real pedestrian access points to the elevated Lemon Hill area.
the article explains why IM is a non starter based on federal rule limitations on usage. It also says upgrades are planned to prepare lemon hill.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:26 PM

Not sure if this has been discussed, but it appears as if the businesses at 920 Market are all shuttered and closed.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Not sure if this has been discussed, but it appears as if the businesses at 920 Market are all shuttered and closed.
The same LLC owns the brick building next door as well, is that vacant too? Would love to see this garbage start to go

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I feel like for a decade, that stretch has only had a couple businesses in there - HR Block and that Subway. Everything has been gone. Hell, that entire block only has 2 businesses - Panda Express and Popeyes. Outside of that, that whole block is ready.

Only a matter of time as 76 Place is a done deal. Hope it's something cool.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
The same LLC owns the brick building next door as well, is that vacant too? Would love to see this garbage start to go
Yeah, that building has been empty for YEARS. The only viable businesses on that entire block is Panda Express and Popeyes. And if that block ever developed, it would address probably the worst block of Market East as it stands.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 9:41 PM

^It would be so great if/when 76 Place is being built, a developer could build up and move AMC and Round1 right across the street where all those vacancies are, include some more restaurants/bars on the first floor and it would be a great entertainment district. I would think that AMC and Round1 are the primary drivers of foot traffic to that part of the Fashion District that's being displaced, no?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 2:32 AM

Market Street is fine though, no need for the 76ers project. /s

Meanwhile 1018 Arch is now a brand new surface parking lot per Tony Valuez:
https://x.com/TonyValuez/status/1805363369999802702

I really hope the city doesn't mess up the 76ers arena. No one is coming to save Market East. Maybe in 20 years we'll see some big development but I don't know if Macy's, Iron Hill, Fashion District, TJ Maxx etc. will still be there. 2031 isn't that far away when it would be finished. Can you imagine new Septa branding, real time train arrival on MFL and BSL, new cars for MFL and new fare gates for all the stations with thousands of new riders using Septa to get to Sixers/concerts/events. The potential is all there, build the arena and force Philadelphians to use Septa.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Market Street is fine though, no need for the 76ers project. /s

Meanwhile 1018 Arch is now a brand new surface parking lot per Tony Valuez:
https://x.com/TonyValuez/status/1805363369999802702

I really hope the city doesn't mess up the 76ers arena. No one is coming to save Market East. Maybe in 20 years we'll see some big development but I don't know if Macy's, Iron Hill, Fashion District, TJ Maxx etc. will still be there. 2031 isn't that far away when it would be finished. Can you imagine new Septa branding, real time train arrival on MFL and BSL, new cars for MFL and new fare gates for all the stations with thousands of new riders using Septa to get to Sixers/concerts/events. The potential is all there, build the arena and force Philadelphians to use Septa.
So true. If ever there was a no-brainer.

Once this thing is green-lit (which is just gonna come down to the right optics), I think the 900 and 1000 blocks of Market are gonna go fast. Outside of the Dis Hole, that's the whole Market East stretch all the way to Old City.

I love the idea of the AMC moving. My main hope though, is that there are several cool bars and restaurants with character and not just these glass and mirror chains that strip the area of anything interesting.

But anything is better than what's there now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadcastthatboom View Post
^It would be so great if/when 76 Place is being built, a developer could build up and move AMC and Round1 right across the street where all those vacancies are, include some more restaurants/bars on the first floor and it would be a great entertainment district. I would think that AMC and Round1 are the primary drivers of foot traffic to that part of the Fashion District that's being displaced, no?
I'm only in the Primark during weekends for the most part but I will say that it has pretty solid foot traffic whenever I'm there.

Speaking of East Market, how the heck is that Shopper's World place still open?

Not for nothing but I thought I had read that Century 21 came back to life post bankruptcy. I wish they would return to East Market.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post
I'm only in the Primark during weekends for the most part but I will say that it has pretty solid foot traffic whenever I'm there.

Not for nothing but I thought I had read that Century 21 came back to life post bankruptcy. I wish they would return to East Market.
That was such a massive downgrade you really can't put that into words. The Shopper's World is absolute garbage.

They never have anyone in there so I'm not sure how that stays around but I think a re-emergence of C21 is a pipe dream.

Such a bummer.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdawk View Post

The Shopper's World closed a couple weeks ago. That space (along with a bunch of others) is listed as available for short-term leases from Macerich.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 12:28 PM

Currently visiting Philly….its astounding how much more lively center city is this June compared to my last trip in June 2023. Really feels like Philly of old. Excellent to see.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 1:11 PM
Chris

This looks really cool!

First look: 50-key Hotel Anna & Bel nears debut in Fishtown
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...a-caletta.html

After nearly two years in development, a 50-key, full-service boutique hotel with a "European feel" is set to make its debut in Fishtown later this summer.

Hotel Anna & Bel, located at 1401 E. Susquehanna Ave., will open its doors on Aug. 7. When it opens, the hotel will feature a private pool for guests and two full-service dining concepts open to the public.

"Fishtown is long overdue for a boutique hotel. Or maybe I should say Philadelphia is really long overdue for a full-service boutique hotel. And I think Fishtown is the perfect neighborhood for this, and the property itself is really what made us go all in," Berkovitz said.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 2:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
The Shopper's World closed a couple weeks ago. That space (along with a bunch of others) is listed as available for short-term leases from Macerich.
Wow. Makes sense. That place was garbage from the word go. I'd love to know the level of vacancy from City Hall to Indy Hall on Market. It has to be 40% or more.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Currently visiting Philly….its astounding how much more lively center city is this June compared to my last trip in June 2023. Really feels like Philly of old. Excellent to see.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 4:08 PM
PHL

Anyone know when they’re gonna get started on that redo of Spring Garden street and the trail connection? The area is ready for it.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 4:35 PM

Was in the city over the crazy hot weekend for an event. Getting very discouraged by the proliferation of graffiti on the highways and elsewhere. It's starting to look like the 70s.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:07 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Was in the city over the crazy hot weekend for an event. Getting very discouraged by the proliferation of graffiti on the highways and elsewhere. It's starting to look like the 70s.
It wont be going anywhere.

Currently my Generation (Gen Z) are the rulers of this playground, we probably wont see things calm down in terms of graffiti & youth aged crazy events for another 10 years.

Besides all we are doing is copying what you guys used to do

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development