HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 11:43 AM

I’m hoping this is not just doing the foundation work so the city can do their street reconstruction, then actual tower will be a future phase when “economic conditions” improve.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 11:49 AM

Interesting that they got rid of the loading dock. Sounds like any street level retail or commercial that would need that kind of access is off the table.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
I’m hoping this is not just doing the foundation work so the city can do their street reconstruction, then actual tower will be a future phase when “economic conditions” improve.
Fine by me. At least it won't be a hole. I am genuinely surprised to see anything happen at all.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Fine by me. At least it won't be a hole. I am genuinely surprised to see anything happen at all.
Good point, solid wooden fencing and at least a start on foundations would be a vast improvement over what is there now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 12:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Glad to see Percy's Hole finally getting filled. Are there any updated renders???

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Glad to see Percy's Hole finally getting filled. Are there any updated renders???
No updated renderings, just a change to some canopy between the building and city market. Honestly, I think he’s too cheap to pay for new renderings

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 1:16 PM

Quote:
No updated renderings, just a change to some canopy between the building and city market. Honestly, I think he’s too cheap to pay for new renderings
You raise a valid concern. This developer has struggled to "make the numbers work" for a while.

Will what should be an iconic landmark building in a prominent location end up being merely mediocre due to being designed and built to a price point?

I sure hope not.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:49 PM

While this all sounds promising, I'll believe it when I actually see a building starting to go up on that site

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
While this all sounds promising, I'll believe it when I actually see a building starting to go up on that site
Yes the mayor’s comments are to remove the current retaining walls to “prepare” the building for construction.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Yes the mayor’s comments are to remove the current retaining walls to “prepare” the building for construction.
Yeah that's what the update was, site preparations will be beginning over the coming weeks.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 9:48 PM

CBC story said the developer "hopes" to begin construction this fall.

In other news....... I hope to win the lottery tonight.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 5:58 PM

Percy Wilbur spoke to Telegraph Journal yesterday.

Quote:
"Wilbur told Brunswick News Tuesday he is still optimistic that the project can be completed in 2026, even after he had to change the plans when a tenant pulled out in the spring of this year. He added that some project “loose ends,” of which he would not give specifics, were being cleaned up and he is still hoping for potential provincial assistance and possible tax credits for the estimated $40 million development, which he says are available in other provinces.

“The biggest stumbling block is around the provincial portion of the HST,” he said. “It’s shocking to me that (Premier Blaine Higgs) is not acknowledging that housing is not where it should be.”

Initially the design called for a supermarket on the first floor, then two floors of office space and nine floors of residential development, as well as two levels of underground parking. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic and recent labour shortages, the plans had to change, and the two floors of office space were replaced with residential units. Wilbur said the plan will stay the same going forward".

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Percy Wilbur spoke to Telegraph Journal yesterday.
Until I see a crane in the sky, it’s all gibberish to me. Excuses excuses

Old Posted Jun 26, 2024, 6:38 PM

"Initially the design called for a supermarket on the first floor, then two floors of office space and nine floors of residential development, as well as two levels of underground parking. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic and recent labour shortages, the plans had to change, and the two floors of office space were replaced with residential units. Wilbur said the plan will stay the same going forward".

The way that is written you would take it the first floor supermarket is still part of the project. If that is true it seems odd that they would have just recently removed to loading dock on South Market from the plans.

Also, the fact he is still harping about incentives and HST breaks makes me think construction starting anytime soon is far from a done deal. Some reporter should ask Mr Wilbur how the all the other major projects in NB over the past 4-5 years got built without tax breaks or incentives paid for with public money.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 4:42 AM

I've learnt not to get too excited until we see actual construction occurring. Get excited just for it to be cancelled. Hopefully 91 King won't end up there.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:12 PM

There should be a law to prevent strategic/landmark locations and/or properties to be purchased by individuals/corporations that basically professionally squat on them. Have safeguards in place for purchasing and/or forced selling.
The City and Province are losing tax revenue, potential tourism dollars and it looks absolutely terrible imho.
Plenty of other developments and buildings going up around the city, yet this iconic landmark has "issues/leveraging" that seem kind of amateurish.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
"Initially the design called for a supermarket on the first floor, then two floors of office space and nine floors of residential development, as well as two levels of underground parking. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic and recent labour shortages, the plans had to change, and the two floors of office space were replaced with residential units. Wilbur said the plan will stay the same going forward".

The way that is written you would take it the first floor supermarket is still part of the project. If that is true it seems odd that they would have just recently removed to loading dock on South Market from the plans.

Also, the fact he is still harping about incentives and HST breaks makes me think construction starting anytime soon is far from a done deal. Some reporter should ask Mr Wilbur how the all the other major projects in NB over the past 4-5 years got built without tax breaks or incentives paid for with public money.
Really does sound like he's just hoping the next government will give him a tax break at this point, but the last 3 years? Come on.

Don't see how it could be anymore than a corner grocery type store at best, if they won't have a loading dock. There's still lots of opportunities for a grocery store to be located elsewhere. Brunswick Square probably makes the most sense.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Until I see a crane in the sky, it’s all gibberish to me. Excuses excuses
The city should have already looked at options to force him to either start construction or sell, and they probably did. Sunset clauses are really needed going forward for such important properties.

Also, local developers just really don't seem to have the experience and access to capital needed to get these projects going in a timely fashion. Saint John would really benefit from developers from bigger cities with more experience taking an interest in Saint John... a task that really shouldn't be that hard to improve upon.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 7:38 PM

Project Updates + New Updated Renderings

Posted today by the city on social media:
Quote:
"🎉🛠Exciting construction update! Residents may have noticed some activity around the property at 99 King Street recently. Here’s an update on what’s happening:

• The developer has received the necessary permits and will start construction soon.
• Existing foundation walls will be removed in preparation for the new construction.
• To facilitate site preparation and foundation work, fencing and plywood walls have been installed along South Market Street and King Street.
• To enhance the look of the area during construction, displays will be installed along the fences.
• Seven parking spaces will be temporarily occupied on King Street during the construction phase. This has been kept to a minimum to reduce the impact on local businesses and residents.

The progress of this project is great to see, and we will continue to provide updates as construction moves forward. We appreciate everyone’s patience as we work towards improving our community".

Old Posted Jun 27, 2024, 7:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I approve the updated renders. A massive improvement from previous. This style fits in very nicely with the historical context of King Street, King's Square and other nearby buildings like the Irving HQ, the Imperial Theatre and the old Admiral Beatty .

Very Bostonian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces