HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 4:55 PM

well I was wrong, Libs are beyond screwed next year

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Well, this certainly makes up for the disappointment of game 7!!!

Certainly sounds like it’s time for that walk on the sands of Tofino.

How about it JT? Is it possible that a man such as you is capable of doing the honourable thing???
Honestly, yah same opinion here.

Before game 7, I was thinking to myself, “God, if the oilers lose game 7, please just let Trudeau lose the Toronto seat as a consolidation prize”

I was out of the moss pit as the horn sounded. Didn’t want to be party of any potential mess (there wasn’t any!)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeLRS View Post
Honestly, yah same opinion here.

Before game 7, I was thinking to myself, “God, if the oilers lose game 7, please just let Trudeau lose the Toronto seat as a consolidation prize”

I was out of the moss pit as the horn sounded. Didn’t want to be party of any potential mess (there wasn’t any!)
Honestly didn't think I cared about either result that much but honestly going to bed at midnight I felt a bit depressed like nothing can go right. I mean Im not in the everything is going to pot and PP can rescuse us camp but for sure hoping for a comeupance as soon as posisble.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
well I was wrong, Libs are beyond screwed next year
At this rate they will be lucky to have 50 seats after the next election. PP is going to have a 225 seat super majority.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:35 PM

The author makes some interesting points for those who see Freeland as the party saviour:

...Above all, a loss in the middle income inner-Toronto riding is a repudiation of both the redistributive tax measures announced in the budget and the class warfare rhetoric that Freeland has used to sell the tax hikes....

With a median household income of $70,655 — placing it smack-dab in the middle of both Ontario and the country socioeconomically — Toronto—St. Paul’s is as Main Street as it gets. The results from Monday’s byelection indicate that Freeland vastly overestimated the appetite for socking it to the rich among working class voters who are struggling to get by amidst a spiraling cost-of-living crisis.

Compounding Freeland’s problems is the fact that the (likely) losing Liberal candidate is a close ally of the flailing finance minister. Church spent three years working as a staffer under Freeland before making the jump to electoral politics, serving as her chief of staff for two of those years.

Freeland was a fixture in the riding throughout the campaign trail — calling the Conservatives “cold and cruel and small” on Monday — making the byelection loss as much hers to wear as Church’s...

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rah...iberal-no-more

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:49 PM

I don't think anyone has seen Freeland as the party saviour in quite some time. Maybe some serious Liberal partisans who are staying on their sinking ship.

Speaking of those partisans, it's been a wild day watching the reactions (or lack thereof). The same folks who were arrogantly proclaiming victory and calling folks stupid for even thinking the LPC could lose last night on places like Reddit and Twitter have all but gone quiet today, while others have gone straight to the conspiracy theory copium. I'll never understand why it's so hard for some people to understand and accept that things really aren't good for the LPC right now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
The author makes some interesting points for those who see Freeland as the party saviour:

...Above all, a loss in the middle income inner-Toronto riding is a repudiation of both the redistributive tax measures announced in the budget and the class warfare rhetoric that Freeland has used to sell the tax hikes....

With a median household income of $70,655 — placing it smack-dab in the middle of both Ontario and the country socioeconomically — Toronto—St. Paul’s is as Main Street as it gets. The results from Monday’s byelection indicate that Freeland vastly overestimated the appetite for socking it to the rich among working class voters who are struggling to get by amidst a spiraling cost-of-living crisis.

Compounding Freeland’s problems is the fact that the (likely) losing Liberal candidate is a close ally of the flailing finance minister. Church spent three years working as a staffer under Freeland before making the jump to electoral politics, serving as her chief of staff for two of those years.

Freeland was a fixture in the riding throughout the campaign trail — calling the Conservatives “cold and cruel and small” on Monday — making the byelection loss as much hers to wear as Church’s...

Freeland is no more the saviour of the party than Lord Voldemort is. Liberals need to reset. It will be tough for them to find an identity without Justin Trudeau, given that they have wrapped their entire personality around the guy, similar to the Republicans with Trump.

My short list of new leaders that may have a chance: Mark Carney, Melanie Joly, Sean Fraser, Nathaniel Erskine-Smith.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 5:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Trudeau's hubris (not to mention, his incompetence) will exile the Liberals from power for at least 4-5 years. It is crazy that he hasn't departed, despite his party's implosion in popularity. It is now nearly impossible for anyone, even Mark Carney, if he were to take over today, to eke out even a minority, notwithstanding the fact that Peevish Polyester lacks personal appeal (in part because he lies in thrall to the worst elements in the PC Refoooorrrmmmm party*).

*I prefer the old moniker of the CRRAP (Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance Party).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:09 PM

I actually think the Liberals will benefit from Trudeau running again.

He will lose and the stink will be on him. Without a Kim Campbell or John Turner to hold the bag, it'll be easier for them to move on from his brand.

What they will need though is to replace him shortly after the election with someone not associated with Trudeau.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:10 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
While it’s possible to get new (simple) tattoos while you’re homeless (I’ve seen it happen several times, one of my SRO tenants was a bit of an artist and she had a tattoo machine for a while; I’m pretty sure I even recall that one of my current gf’s tattoos are from that girl and that machine), your wife is correct.

Anyone with those large, high quality multi-color tattoos got them before they became “down and out”.

The obvious conclusion is that there is some life choices correlation between being the type of person who’ll choose to get (and pay for) conspicuous tattoos while they’re younger and in a position to afford that, and the type who’ll be ending up homeless later in life.

Acajack's dad's observation kinda sounds like something my stepdad would say, but unless you're getting you're whole back done in a very specific and hard to do style they are also nowhere near $2500. A decently sized *good* tattoo at a high end shop costs many times less than that, and there are lots of cheap shops where you can get a piece for well under $100, even if it's not recommended. I have quite a few friends with a lot of high quality tattoos and they once you're a "regular" you can often get deals by being slotted into quiet times and such.

Beyond that it's not hard to find a guy with a tattoo gun who will do it for basically free if you hang out with certain crowds. And the quality that most most guys at intersections have seems to reflect that.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Honestly didn't think I cared about either result that much but honestly going to bed at midnight I felt a bit depressed like nothing can go right. I mean Im not in the everything is going to pot and PP can rescuse us camp but for sure hoping for a comeupance as soon as posisble.
“JT getting kicked out at long last and the worst of the Libs’ damage stops” is “nothing can go right” to you?

Excellent evening IMO, one of my two home teams (other being the Habs) wins the Cup and then the worst PM we’ve had in a while gets a very deserved rebuke. Everything’s going right

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:14 PM

If Trudeau doesn't resign, I'm straight up not voting next year and I'm endorsing #ZeroSeats

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Freeland is no more the saviour of the party than Lord Voldemort is. Liberals need to reset. It will be tough for them to find an identity without Justin Trudeau, given that they have wrapped their entire personality around the guy, similar to the Republicans with Trump.

My short list of new leaders that may have a chance: Mark Carney, Melanie Joly, Sean Fraser, Nathaniel Erskine-Smith.
Sean Fraser is either then author or front man of the immigration policy and housing crisis. He would be worse than Trudeau.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Trudeau's hubris (not to mention, his incompetence) will exile the Liberals from power for at least 4-5 years. It is crazy that he hasn't departed, despite his party's implosion in popularity. It is now nearly impossible for anyone, even Mark Carney, if he were to take over today, to eke out even a minority, notwithstanding the fact that Peevish Polyester lacks personal appeal (in part because he lies in thrall to the worst elements in the PC Refoooorrrmmmm party*).

*I prefer the old moniker of the CRRAP (Canadian Conservative Reform Alliance Party).
Why not just “Conservative Reform Alliance Party”, C.R.A.P. in short form

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Why not just “Conservative Reform Alliance Party”, C.R.A.P. in short form
some background reading: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-p...ronym-1.240933

Watch out for the ccrap floaties, Stockwell.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post

And as we just saw, the Toronto-St. Paul’s electorate thinks that “cold and cruel and small” is the lesser evil when the alternative is Chrystia Freeland!

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

More than one R, is that a typo (C->R) or did you mean the official name should be Conservative Rrrreform Alliance Party?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:23 PM

Don’t worry, he hears people’s concerns. Everything will be fine.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:25 PM

Quote:
If the NDP’s main goal is to have the LPC in charge rather than the CPC, then the correct way for the NDP to achieve that goal is to disband and cease to exist / merge into the LPC.

In other words, I think you’re wrong, they ran a candidate there.
They ran a candidate for the pretence of being independent from the Liberals.

I will have to vote Conservative in 2025 just because I believe the Liberals and Federal NDP are genuinely the worse of two evils. $10 daycare and new dental programs don't cut it when those savings are lost by spiralling housing costs, out of control immigration suppressing wages, and a cratering economy. Everyone but home owners are much poorer under Trudeau.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I don't think anyone has seen Freeland as the party saviour in quite some time. Maybe some serious Liberal partisans who are staying on their sinking ship.

Speaking of those partisans, it's been a wild day watching the reactions (or lack thereof). The same folks who were arrogantly proclaiming victory and calling folks stupid for even thinking the LPC could lose last night on places like Reddit and Twitter have all but gone quiet today, while others have gone straight to the conspiracy theory copium. I'll never understand why it's so hard for some people to understand and accept that things really aren't good for the LPC right now.
It’s just so obvious to any neutral observer that in any democracy, when the incumbent is hard at work creating skyrocketing homelessness, skyrocketing food bank use, plummeting quality of life for most of the electorate, declining productivity, declining GDP/capita, exploding deficits and debt levels, etc. then their defeat in the following election isn’t “a conspiracy” but rather, just completely predictable and logical to anyone who’s paying attention.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada