HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jun 25, 2024, 3:49 PM

It's odd that it isn't panelized, as that is commonly used now in the residential reno market for fireplace surrounds, outside wall accents such as here, etc. Very expensive to lay stone veneer piece by piece due to labor costs and the skill required to make it look good.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 9:56 PM

This is now occupied. Not really a great looking building but it's a welcome addition to the neighborhood and it includes a pathway connecting Maynard Street to the NSLC/Cyclesmith parking lot.

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
This is now occupied. Not really a great looking building but it's a welcome addition to the neighborhood and it includes a pathway connecting Maynard Street to the NSLC/Cyclesmith parking lot.

HalifaxDevelopments.ca (Photo by David Jackson)
A Friend of mine just moved in this past weekend and there will be beer tomorrow night so I will be able to report first impressions.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2024, 3:14 AM

I personally think it looks great, especially relative to all the old shacks in the North End, and at least it doesn't look like a giant cubic fish like that other building on Maynard with the iridescent tiles that look like fish scales and angled balconies that look like fish fins.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kijoma View Post
I personally think it looks great, especially relative to all the old shacks in the North End...
I agree only somewhat... I think we can have higher standards than "well, it's better than a crackhouse..." It's a different category of building. We shouldn't be comparing it to wood-frame houses (some of which are pretty gross looking, but could be made to look better with some care and attention), but to other mid-rise buildings, which brings me to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kijoma View Post
... at least it doesn't look like a giant cubic fish like that other building on Maynard with the iridescent tiles that look like fish scales and angled balconies that look like fish fins.
I agree a bit on this one. I'm OK with the iridescent tiles, but those angled balconies are not my favourite - they look uncomfortable and I can't imagine the acute angle at the tip is useful for anything other than a very small plant pot.

On the whole, I don't love the aesthetics of this building. Too many materials and the brick and stonework seems a little sloppy. I also don't like the way the brick and stone abut each other directly.

I DO like the massing of this thing, and if there's a pedestrian path introduced to the cyclesmith/NSLC parking lot, I think that's a good thing.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2024, 4:39 PM

IMO the stone treatment + pillars at the bottom makes it look a bit like a ski area McMansion. If they kept the bricks that are on floors 2 and 3 and had that extend all the way down I think it'd look a bit better. I agree eastcoastal about the massing and pathway being positives but overall it just feels ill-placed for North End Halifax.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2024, 2:23 PM

Compared to some other new building in the area like the nook or the Rob, the street presence of this building is much more appealing and I like the variation of finishes. It's one of my favorite new builds in the area personally

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
... If they kept the bricks that are on floors 2 and 3 and had that extend all the way down I think it'd look a bit better...
Agreed. Something about the change in materials, without a corresponding change in volume or some kind of intentional transition feels arbitrary and like an applique. Glad to have some more density here, but it's fallen short in terms of design. I don't even think it needs to be a super-eyecatching building... something with fewer finishes, behaving like a high-quality background building would have been better, I think.

Not my money though. And again, glad for the density, massing, and pedestrian mid-block link.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2024, 1:26 PM
Cap the Cut!

It looks like one building sitting on top of another. The windows in the light/white areas on floors 4 5 and six look more suited to a suburban bungalow or perhaps a Bayers Lake walk-up. It's nice to see this site finally utilized and the presence of the mid-block walking pathway is great.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth