HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 5:56 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post
Yeah, I've lived on Rainey for around 8 years now, and I generally agree. I dream that the increased number of residents will help with demand for certain quality-of-life things in the area, but it hasn't happened yet. In my building and a couple other condos here, a surprisingly high proportion of people are in the older crowd of "we lived in Westlake/Terrytown/Hyde Park, our kids graduated high school and we no longer need 4000 sq feet." There's nothing exactly wrong with that, but it's not exactly the crowd that will push to keep Rainey's active nightlife or anything more rowdy than a Pilates studio.
Your thinking about it all wrong (my best Christopher Walken imitation) I've lived on Rainey before it was cool, before any bars were here, ya, even before the infamous Bridget. It was I and few like us that brought Bridget to The Street. Your welcome. Back then, it was down right scary to come home from downtown at night. The chain-drive was the only game in town and not my cup of tea. In fact, when we got to red river and cc, we would literally jog home to avoid the crazies. So yeah, its pretty great now, and not even close to dirty 6th, not close at all !

Now for the part you thinking about it all wrong, old folks like to get their buzz on too. Just because your kids are out of the house, doesn't mean you go crawl in a corner and die. Lets move on tho, and talk about old people day drinking. They go out during the day. What a boon for the bars! Now they can operate 18 hours a day, instead of a measly 4 when the kids show up at 8 or 10 pm and pinch pennies. And yeah, old people got money to spend, you know, before they die and stuff like that. spend it !!! And not all of us are trust fund babies, some actually worked their ass off all their lives. Got a problem with that? To that, I say get a job!!

I do agree that ground level, outdoor bars and/or restaurants are where its at and I hope we can keep that alive here on The Street. Here's to Rainey Street !!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin