HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Oh, did they?

Sorry, I don’t follow the Senators even a little bit. But I have a hard time believing any discussion about relocating the only major league professional sports team from Canada’s capital was taken very seriously.
Well it’s still a high probability that if arena talks break down they move on. The revenue numbers don’t lie.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 8:37 PM

Speaking of revenue, in 32 Thoughts Podcast, Elliotte Friedman said he was told game 6 generated the highest revenue of any NHL game in history, but he didn't toss out a number. I'm curious what that number is.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Well it’s still a high probability that if arena talks break down they move on. The revenue numbers don’t lie.
Just don’t see Canada’s capital and 4th largest city losing their NHL team… they’ll get the arena situation dealt with and the team will stay, I’d bet on it.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 11:36 PM

LOL Ottawa will not lose its team.

Same goes for Winnipeg.

Next.......

Last edited by Justanothermember; Jun 23, 2024 at 12:51 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 11:55 PM

Ottawa, as far as we know, remains on track to potentially sign a deal with the NCC in Lebreton Flats in autumn 2024. We also know that they have been entertaining other potential options downtown. I have confidence that they will get it figured out.

As for revenues, they are low right now but the team will be fine. The Senators have always had it tough being wedged in between two giant and historic NHL franchises. The longer they exist and the better their visibility, they will continue to grow their foothold and fanbase. The new arena will help a lot when they get it figured out. Hopefully they also become competitive again in the near future.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 1:09 PM

Since those figures are out of date by a year and I would assume estimates, I'm curious how the Sens did this past season under new ownership. Their attendance was up about 800/game, interesting to see if those were 800 cheap seats or expensive ones.

But those revenues really suck in relation to the salary cap. 82.5 million that season. I saw where their payroll was 70million that season. As a Canadian team, they are expected to spend to the cap, but you can see where that is difficult when revenues are so low. Even at that salary level, 58 million isn't a lot to pay for everything else. Look at all the 6 and 7 figure salaried people that aren't players? How much do 41 road games cost? Didn't I see somewhere the Sens were 300 million or so in debt? I imagine that was a growing figure, because I can't see them servicing that, let alone reducing it, as part of that 58 million.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 2:18 PM
I am the law!

I'm guessing the billion dollar price tag included paying off any debts.

Senators will want a billion dollar sweetheart arena deal and I think the NCC complicates it.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm guessing the billion dollar price tag included paying off any debts.

Senators will want a billion dollar sweetheart arena deal and I think the NCC complicates it.
I'm sure Andlauer didn't just stroke a check though, either. He's rich, but most of his wealth is in ATS, not sitting in a bank. At the same time though, I would think the well-paid accountants can move revenue from one pocket to the other in regards to the arena. The arena and hockey club are separate legal entities under SS&E, but the league is also very particular about things like that as it affects HRR.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 4:19 PM

Are Flames Fans the only Canadians rooting against the Oilers at this point?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Some Canucks fans as well.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
I'm indifferent at best. I won't be disappointed either way. It's not the Olympics, I don't wrap myself in the flag over this.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 8:35 PM
Community Guy

I don't expect everyone to be all hot over the Oilers, but certainly supportive of the team that can bring the cup back to Canada.

GO OILERS GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 23, 2024, 10:16 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I’m all in for the Oilers!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 12:51 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

I don't personally know anyone who is following the final and not for the Oilers.

Going to a viewing party on a friend's boat tomorrow.

And it's St-Jean-Baptiste.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:18 AM

All I care about is the 50/50!

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 6:43 AM

Big day for the NHL and Edmonton today ! No matter who wins, it's crazy to think that what will happen today hasn't happened since WWII.

=======================================================

About that 2022/2023 revenue ranking, here's my take on it.

Edmonton's numbers are very impressive. But when you have a Cup contender year after year, playing in a new arena, in the middle of downtown, it boosts revenue. Still, to be tied with Toronto for first place is mighty impressive.

Montreal's numbers are impressive considering they were shit. I was under the impression Montreal's revenues dropped when the team was shit (unlike Toronto, as an example). That doesn't seem to be the case.

Surprised that NJ had higher revenues than Boston.

Unsurprisingly, Vegas is already up there. Seattle isn't doing too bad either, already matching Vancouver's revenues.

Calgary's numbers are shit. I guess the Saddledome being outdated is a main reason? I mean, they were fighting for a wild card spot up to the last game that year, so what else could it be?

Avalanche numbers are surprisingly weak, considering they have a good team.

Winnipeg's numbers are ok. They do have the smallest arena in the NHL (excluding Arizona of course).

Ottawa's revenues were pathetic. Crazy to think they only made $8 million more than Arizona, which played in a 4,600 seat arena. CT Centre being in the middle of nowhere is surely to blame. The team should be able to draw more money than that from the Ottawa market.

It's a bit of the same thing for Florida. Their arena is not well placed, and far from the hustle and bustle of Miami/Fort Lauderdale. They could be matching TB's revenues if it weren't for that, especially with the team they have.

How on earth did Arizona make $120 million playing out of a university arena? I think they sold weed to students outside the arena and counted that as revenue.

Last edited by thenoflyzone; Jun 24, 2024 at 6:55 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post

How on earth did Arizona make $120 million playing out of a university arena? I think they sold weed to students outside the arena and counted that as revenue.
Bettman was quick to point out at the press conference when they moved to SLC that ticket sale revenue was significantly higher at Mullet than in Glendale. Ticket scarcity to the extreme playing a role there, no need to paper the house like they did out at the old place.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
All I care about is the 50/50!
me to. but i will listen to the neighbourhood tonight. its how i can tell the score without watching.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoflyzone View Post
Big day for the NHL and Edmonton today ! No matter who wins, it's crazy to think that what will happen today hasn't happened since WWII.
What's crazy is that the more improbable accomplishment hasn't been done since 1942 while the already-a-lot-less-improbable one STILL hadn't been done since 1945 (until the Oilers just did it). Statistically, one would have expected the gap between the two situations to be much larger.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2024, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't personally know anyone who is following the final and not for the Oilers.

Going to a viewing party on a friend's boat tomorrow.

And it's St-Jean-Baptiste.

Lucky Duck. For every Oilers goal you have to swim around the boat and sing La Bamba lol.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada