HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
Well, if we want to get technical and I’m sure most do, you specifically said there would be a buy out which is not what this is.
Technical...schmetical....

Kings trade away PLD for a couple of warm Pilsners and a Costco gift certificate.

Does anyone else find it amusing that Washington bought out Cap Friendly, only to acquire the worst contract in the NHL?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
Does anyone else find it amusing that Washington bought out Cap Friendly, only to acquire the worst contract in the NHL?
Yeah the jokes write themselves.

I wonder if Ovechkin will try to go to a contender for his last year or two.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 10:54 PM

So PLD to the Oilers by Christmas?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 6:59 PM
Community Guy

Last edited by Coldrsx; Jun 21, 2024 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 7:23 PM

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Winnipeg’s really not doing that bad then… no one’s seriously suggested relocating Ottawa. But some people wouldn’t shut up about Winnipeg possibly losing the Jets again this year.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Winnipeg’s really not doing that bad then… no one’s seriously suggested relocating Ottawa. But some people wouldn’t shut up about Winnipeg possibly losing the Jets again this year.
The big problem with Ottawa is that they've only generated 8m more in revenue over the Coyotes - and the Coyotes were playing out of a 5,000 seat arena all season. And the next worse is higher by 23m. This isn't good.

The Panthers revenue is sad considering the team they've had the last few seasons.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 10:12 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The Panthers revenue is sad considering the team they've had the last few seasons.
I'll bet a large chunk of that revenue comes from away-teams fans.

Just like Ottawa and Arizona.

The only thing different with Ottawa is we are sandwiched in between two original six teams that had established bases before 1992.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 10:53 PM

The Arizona land auction that is part of the roadmap for an NHL return to Arizona has been cancelled. Alex Meruelo’s group reportedly needs a Special Use Permit before bidding on the land to assure the State that they will actually do something with it after winning the auction. Alex Meruelo was the only bidder registered.

It is looking right now like Meruelo did not secure this during the process, the state appeared to have been waiting for him. Ensuring that you have the zoning for a large development like this seems crucial. Either way, this is not a good look. Meruelo being able to retain the franchise rights of the Coyotes and the Tucson Road Runners was reported to be contingent on passing this milestone. Now that there is no auction to speak of, it will be interesting to see if the NHL takes the rights back.

EDIT: When I first posted this, it wasn’t clear if the state cancelled because of not Meruelo having the zoning, or if the state did not indicate the need for the Special Use Permit.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Last edited by ericmacm; Jun 21, 2024 at 11:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
The Arizona land auction that is part of the roadmap for an NHL return to Arizona has been cancelled. Alex Meruelo’s group reportedly needs a Special Use Permit before bidding on the land to assure the State that they will actually do something with it after winning the auction. Alex Meruelo was the only bidder registered.

It is looking right now like Meruelo did not secure this during the process, the state appeared to have been waiting for him. Ensuring that you have the zoning for a large development like this seems crucial. Either way, this is not a good look. Meruelo being able to retain the franchise rights of the Coyotes and the Tucson Road Runners was reported to be contingent on passing this milestone. Now that there is no auction to speak of, it will be interesting to see if the NHL takes the rights back.

EDIT: When I first posted this, it wasn’t clear if the state cancelled because of not Meruelo having the zoning, or if the state did not indicate the need for the Special Use Permit.
Well, there goes my pre-draft party lol. It's typical Meruelo. This guy is so clueless. As I said before, Bettman totally looked done with this guy at their press conference in April. I don't imagine Gary is too disappointed at this turn of events. The quicker Meruelo is out of the picture, the quicker he can get the next guy with deeper pockets in, to pay several hundred million dollars more for a team than AM was entitled to pay.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

3-3. Back to Florida we go!!

The Florida GM (Bill Zita) looks really scary when he's upset.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:09 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

OK so things just went from very interesting to extremely interesting.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:36 AM

Some of the most exciting hockey I have seen in a long time. Can’t wait to see what happens in Game 7!

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Can’t wait to see what happens in Game 7!
Bettman==>>Cup==>>McDavid

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 3:48 AM

Game 7 is gunna be off the hook.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 4:03 AM

Can’t wait to watch the 50/50 go crazy again! Already the jackpot is $8.7m. If the oilers start winning I think we will be in for another record breaker! I won’t be watching the game though.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 4:19 AM
Community Guy

We
want
the
cup

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Yeah, last year when the Sens sale process was dragging on and arena discussions (that still aren't settled) were getting silly, no one ever suggested the Sens should move to Quebec City or Hamilton. Nope, that talk never surfaced at all lol.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2024, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Yeah, last year when the Sens sale process was dragging on and arena discussions (that still aren't settled) were getting silly, no one ever suggested the Sens should move to Quebec City or Hamilton. Nope, that talk never surfaced at all lol.
Oh, did they?

Sorry, I don’t follow the Senators even a little bit. But I have a hard time believing any discussion about relocating the only major league professional sports team from Canada’s capital was taken very seriously.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada