HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post

Old Posted Jun 21, 2024, 9:57 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 3:34 AM

The conservancy posted a shortlist of temporary locations to move the ship in a newsletter that I believe is only accessible to members. The list is:

- Various US Navy owned piers
- The Philadelphia Navy Yard
- Other piers in Philadelphia
- Camden
- Baltimore
- Hampton Roads
- Savannah
- Unspecified locations in Florida and Texas

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2024, 10:34 PM
PHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
The conservancy posted a shortlist of temporary locations to move the ship in a newsletter that I believe is only accessible to members. The list is:

- Various US Navy owned piers
- The Philadelphia Navy Yard
- Other piers in Philadelphia
- Camden
- Baltimore
- Hampton Roads
- Savannah
- Unspecified locations in Florida and Texas
Would be cool to see it moored up here with the mothball fleet.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 4:16 AM

Alright, here's the deal.

- The request to extend the deadline was delayed. That really sucks.
- 2 people have given them 6-figure donations contingent on them finding a place to go
- They're meeting with the Navy to discuss moving the ship to one of their locations. I'd say there's a better chance that the Flyers win the Cup this year than that happening.
- They are still scouting a variety of locations on the East Coast. I have been hearing a lot about Virginia
- Should this fail, they will reef the ship in Florida as opposed to scrapping

I did recently get the chance to tour the vessel, which I am very glad I did. If I didn't do it then, I'd spend the rest of my life regretting it. Anyway, when we were leaving I asked the tour guide if they had found a place to go. He just smiled at me and said "you'll know soon enough." This was 3 weeks ago. Either A) he was getting ahead of himself 2) he was straight up bullshitting (which I find unlikely) C)There is a deal in the works that isn't public D) The Conservancy has a 200 IQ move up their sleeve. Any are entirely possible.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 1:27 AM
Philly Pholly

I don't understand why NYC isn't interested. Put it up next the Intrepid. A jewel in the crown of Hudson River Park

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 2:08 AM

I totally understand why I should be in New York, but I desperately want it to stay in Philadelphia. Sure it doesn't look so great rusting and resting up near the Walt Whitman Bridge, but I very much believe the SS United States being across from the Battleship New Jersey will give even more life to BOTH waterfront by the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. Imagine driving across the BFB and seeing both of these awesome ships, or drone shots of the SS United States with the city looming just above as you look west. Plus if it were to be positioned at the new Penn's Landing redevelopment, imagine how much more attention it would give to that area alone. They'd probably want to build those towers faster

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I totally understand why I should be in New York, but I desperately want it to stay in Philadelphia. Sure it doesn't look so great rusting and resting up near the Walt Whitman Bridge, but I very much believe the SS United States being across from the Battleship New Jersey will give even more life to BOTH waterfront by the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. Imagine driving across the BFB and seeing both of these awesome ships, or drone shots of the SS United States with the city looming just above as you look west. Plus if it were to be positioned at the new Penn's Landing redevelopment, imagine how much more attention it would give to that area alone. They'd probably want to build those towers faster
Plus, you would also have America's Flagship (Big U) directly across from America's literal flagship (New Jersey)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 3:43 AM

Yes! That makes absolute sense. We have great ships along the waterfront, but the SS United States staying in the birthplace of America. Makes absolute sense to me to just keep it in Philadelphia, especially with the Semiquincentennial coming

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 3:10 AM
just a pool of mushy goo

SS United States to be sold and sunk for artificial reef off coast of Florida.

What a fucking kick in the balls.

Just absolutely horrible.

Trumpism is the road to ruin

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:39 PM

Well. At least we'll see it move again. Can't wait for that, but yea this is a kick in the balls. And America's balls

Old Posted Aug 31, 2024, 2:43 PM

Going as a reef is better than the scrappers. If she was a bit better preserved and still had all her fittings in place it would have been a much easier lift for a hotel use.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2024, 4:18 PM
Philly Pholly

"OWNERS OF AMERICA’S FLAGSHIP FILE MOTION DETAILING LANDLORD’S EFFORT TO BLOCK RELOCATION OF SS UNITED STATES, TAKE POSSESSION OF THE HISTORIC VESSEL FOR ITS OWN FINANCIAL BENEFIT
Pier Operator Penn Warehousing & Distribution, Attempted to Extort $3 Million from Conservancy and Thwart Compliance with Court Order
The national nonprofit organization that owns the historic SS United States filed an urgent motion in the U.S. District Court for Eastern Pennsylvania containing new evidence that the iconic vessel’s landlord, Penn Warehousing & Distribution engaged in a range of misconduct to block the Conservancy’s effort to comply with a court order regarding relocating the SS United States from her current pier and advanced a scheme to seize America’s Flagship for its own financial benefit.
The SS United States Conservancy, just hours before a court imposed deadline for the removal of the ship from Pier 82 in Philadelphia, stated in court papers that Penn Warehousing demanded $3 million from the Conservancy and from a potential purchaser of the ship, Florida’s Okaloosa County. The Conservancy alleges that Penn Warehousing blocked a contract for the sale of the SS United States and attempted to negotiate its own sale of the vessel, even though they didn’t own it.
In conjunction with the motion’s filing in U.S. District Court, the Conservancy released the following statements:
“We’ve been dealing with the impacts of Penn Warehousing’s underhanded tactics for some time, but the revelation that they attempted to negotiate the sale of the ship without our knowledge or authorization is upsetting. It is more proof that Penn Warehousing has engaged in a deliberate pattern of behavior intended to force the Conservancy’s default, and seize the SS United States, so that they can sell the historic ship for their own financial gain.
“At trial, Penn Warehousing admitted to doubling the ship’s rent in a deliberate attempt to force the vessel off her pier. Now it appears they’ve been attempting to circumvent the court’s most recent order by using a range of tactics to prevent the Conservancy from making any alternative arrangements with willing partners and seize the ship.
“This behavior has included making unfounded claims of pier damage allegedly caused by the historic vessel, attempting to take punitive financial measures against the Conservancy, and scuttling a purchase and sale agreement that would have fulfilled the Court’s order.
“We have laid out our case in court filings, and we hope that justice will prevail.”
Conservancy President Susan Gibbs, granddaughter of the ship’s designer, William Francis Gibbs stated:
“After decades of paying our pier rent in full and on time, pier operator Penn Warehousing has brought us to the brink of losing the SS United States, an inspiring expression of her namesake nation’s strength, unity, and pride. Last month, the SS United States Conservancy committed in court to securing a firm contract to move the ship from her pier by the September 12 deadline. However, to our shock and surprise, Penn Warehousing blocked our plans. Since acquiring the SS United States over a decade ago, the Conservancy has worked tirelessly and against long odds to find a new home for America’s Flagship and to preserve and celebrate her extraordinary legacy. As we navigate this latest challenge and try to resolve the current impasse, we remain profoundly grateful to the SS United States’ supporters from across the nation and around the world.”
ss us by , on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development