HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I was talking to someone in planning the other day about some things in Riverview. I had asked him specifically about the realignment of the 114 with Bridgedale Blvd. He said with the Stoney creek washout a few years ago, and the anticipated increase in flooding events like this, any crossing of mill creek would now require a bridge. The town and province do not want to under-build the infrastructure, which does make a lot of sense. Due to this, any theoretical realignment would not happen for several years now. He also said the town already owning the ROW and eluded that they may just build it as initially planned if the need to build it comes up before the province would like.

I also asked about what would happen with the old highway ROW between Transaqua and point park when the new Tim Hortons/Shell is build. He indicated that the ROW behind the new development would go to Transaqua and the ROW on the other side of Hillsborough Road would likely be sold for development. This is really good for the connectivity of the area as you no longer would have this big highway right-of-way dividing the carriage hill and bridgedale areas.
Interesting- I thought 114 and Bridgedale were supposed to meet north of the creek (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...ld5s?entry=ttu). Would this have to happen in conjunction with a bridge over the creek 500m away, or is this just a cost saving measure? Or am I totally wrong?

And is the dead highway crossing measure going to allow Chambers to connect to Runneymeade/an extension of Oakfield?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2024, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Interesting- I thought 114 and Bridgedale were supposed to meet north of the creek (https://www.google.com/maps/place/Br...ld5s?entry=ttu). Would this have to happen in conjunction with a bridge over the creek 500m away, or is this just a cost saving measure? Or am I totally wrong?

And is the dead highway crossing measure going to allow Chambers to connect to Runneymeade/an extension of Oakfield?
The blue is the original proposal and what the town is likely going to do. The Yellow and orange were the proposals from i want to say like five years ago or so. The purple is my personal preference.

In the yellow you can see the property that would likely be put up for sale. In orange I've drawn the roads that Momar plans to build. I left out the ones on the west side of Runnymeade as I don't see why they wouldn't try to bid on that property and expand their subdivision more in that direction. Time will tell.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
The blue is the original proposal and what the town is likely going to do. The Yellow and orange were the proposals from i want to say like five years ago or so. The purple is my personal preference.

In the yellow you can see the property that would likely be put up for sale. In orange I've drawn the roads that Momar plans to build. I left out the ones on the west side of Runnymeade as I don't see why they wouldn't try to bid on that property and expand their subdivision more in that direction. Time will tell.
Thank you for the clarification, it makes sense now.

However, what doesn't make sense is why the need to build a "bypass"? I get why the town would want to extend Bridgedale to 114, but why would they cut 114 right into Bridgedale?

Secondly, would an investor build a Tim's/Shell gas station on 114 (next to TransAqua) knowing that there's a possibility that the bulk of traffic would someday be cut off?

Thirdly, I am still sad that they are no longer persuing a new bridge/direct route to route 15/Dieppe traffic circle. That would just make a whole pile of sense on many levels, albiet expensive.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
However, what doesn't make sense is why the need to build a "bypass"? I get why the town would want to extend Bridgedale to 114, but why would they cut 114 right into Bridgedale?
My understanding is the town wants to re-route thru traffic away from Hillsborough Road. Long-term maps show plans for essentially a ring road from Findlay/Gunningsville west to Coverdale Road that would allow traffic to bypass the riverfront area of town.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
My understanding is the town wants to re-route thru traffic away from Hillsborough Road. Long-term maps show plans for essentially a ring road from Findlay/Gunningsville west to Coverdale Road that would allow traffic to bypass the riverfront area of town.
Has anyone ever floated a Riverview-Dieppe bridge, or do the extensive mudflats preclude that even before any cost/benefit discussions? I'm less interested in 'is it needed' and more interested in 'has anyone ever drawn this out'.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonPerson View Post
That makes sense, something similar to how Wheeler moved traffic around Moncton.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
That makes sense, something similar to how Wheeler moved traffic around Moncton.
Unfortunately, it won't be four lane controlled access. Just a collector road through town.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 4:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Has anyone ever floated a Riverview-Dieppe bridge, or do the extensive mudflats preclude that even before any cost/benefit discussions? I'm less interested in 'is it needed' and more interested in 'has anyone ever drawn this out'.
I don't know about officially, but, here in the group we have discussed a third crossing downstream, possibly as far east as the Dover Road ctossing over to Lower Coverdale. With Dieppe Blvd getting extended to the Dover Road in the next couple of years, this would make this a logical location for a third crossing, especially to cut travel times down the Petitcodiac Valley to Hillsborough, Riverside Albert, Alma, Fundy Park and the Fundy Trail.

This would be good for tourists.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't know about officially, but, here in the group we have discussed a third crossing downstream, possibly as far east as the Dover Road ctossing over to Lower Coverdale. With Dieppe Blvd getting extended to the Dover Road in the next couple of years, this would make this a logical location for a third crossing, especially to cut travel times down the Petitcodiac Valley to Hillsborough, Riverside Albert, Alma, Fundy Park and the Fundy Trail.

This would be good for tourists.
The more I think about it, probably the one of the worst places for a 3rd crossing would be to the Dieppe traffic circle. The traffic there is already very heavy, and I don't think adding more vehicles into that intersection would make sense. Down river seems to be a more logical idea.

In any event, I can't see a third crossing happening for a long long time.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:14 PM

I dunno, if there WAS a third crossing (RED), I'm thinking Dover might be too far out of town on both sides. I don't see it getting a lot of use. How about Melanson (GREEN)?

Old Posted Jun 19, 2024, 6:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I like the four bridges in your illustration.

Seriously, both of these potential routings have their advantages. Melanson could be a direct shot through to the extended Bridgedale Blvd. Dover Road/Lower Coverdale would be a straight shot through to Dieppe Blvd and the TCH.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:56 AM

Melanson/Amirault is 1.8 KM from the most likely future Bridgedale/Hillsborough intersection. Amirault where it bends west after the fields to 114 near the Lower Coverdale Baptist Church is 2.7 KM and much further from both centres of population.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:19 PM

In light of the forum’s name, ‘Riverview Development,’ I find this to be an intriguing discussion.

Some argue that constructing a third crossing would hinder development, as it would divert tourists away from New Brunswick’s fourth most populous municipality.

I’m open to exploring alternative perspectives.”

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
In light of the forum’s name, ‘Riverview Development,’ I find this to be an intriguing discussion.

Some argue that constructing a third crossing would hinder development, as it would divert tourists away from New Brunswick’s fourth most populous municipality.

I’m open to exploring alternative perspectives.”
Not only would it divert traffic away from Riverview, but a downstream crossing would also divert tourist traffic from Moncton as well.

In practical terms, I think the impact of this would actually be greater on Moncton than Riverview, since Riverview has very little in the way of tourist related infrastructure.

On the plus side, a downstream crossing would help decrease traffic congestion in downtown Moncton and along the Hillsborough Road.

This makes an interesting topic for conversation. I would be interested in hearing other opinions......

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Mud

Quote:
Not only would it divert traffic away from Riverview, but a downstream crossing would also divert tourist traffic from Moncton as well.

In practical terms, I think the impact of this would actually be greater on Moncton than Riverview, since Riverview has very little in the way of tourist related infrastructure.

On the plus side, a downstream crossing would help decrease traffic congestion in downtown Moncton and along the Hillsborough Road.

This makes an interesting topic for conversation. I would be interested in hearing other opinions......
I think the effect on tourism in Moncton proper might be more muted. If this bridge suddenly appeared tomorrow then yes I can see many tourists simply bypassing Moncton unless they had accommodations there already.

But by the time this got built Moncton's growth in population and the resulting amenities might be enough to give it its own magnetism. It would go from "I guess we COULD check it out?" to "We should make a stop here."

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:04 PM

Quote:

I wonder what affect it would have on the already overly congested Champlain/Acadie Ave. intersection though?

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
I wonder what affect it would have on the already overly congested Champlain/Acadie Ave. intersection though?
Depends on whether the crossing is at Melanson or Dover Road. If the latter, the biggest impact would be on Dieppe Blvd.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:58 PM

I do know that there was a transportation plan done by Moncton, Dieppe & Riverview and they had a 3rd bridge on their radar. I think the most logical place is Melanson road to Bridgedale Blvd.

Another thought, would a bridge in this location negate the need for a French school in this part of riverview? It would be much shorter to travel to the schools in Dieppe.

As for a 4th bridge, I actually prefer for it to he a little bit farther away. If we’re looking 50+ years down the line for a 4th bridge we’d better be thinking of population growth over that same time. I think if you built it from Dover to Stoney Creek, and then had a connector road from Stoney Creek to Pine Glen Road that would be a nice bypass. Perhaps you could even have a road go from the TCH in Calhoun to this crossing making another arm of what would essentially become a partial beltway. If you extended the road from Pine Glen to bypass west Riverview and had another crossing up river in the Allison area, before connecting to the TCH again, that would make a complete beltway. Im not sure that’s something that will ever been needed or even wanted, but I’m just thinking what 50+ years of growth might look like.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:50 PM

I imagine such projects would involve local and provincial funding? Would it include federal?

The reason I'm asking is from what I know, Fredericton also having issues about needing a 3rd bridge? Not sure being the provincial capital gives Freddy some priority (and yet still can't make it), or whether Moncton's rapid growth and economic pull might help us get the 3rd bridge first?

Or maybe these are only tangential and the deciding factors are entirely different, I'm happy to be educated on the matter.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new kid in town View Post

I imagine such projects would involve local and provincial funding? Would it include federal?

The reason I'm asking is from what I know, Fredericton also having issues about needing a 3rd bridge? Not sure being the provincial capital gives Freddy some priority (and yet still can't make it), or whether Moncton's rapid growth and economic pull might help us get the 3rd bridge first?

Or maybe these are only tangential and the deciding factors are entirely different, I'm happy to be educated on the matter.
Right now they is no funding, they are merely a long term desire of the region. I imagine Fredericton would get an other bridge first.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces