HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool maudit View Post
sans déc!
That's a bit old-fashioned now. France's French slang has a way of evolving extremely rapidly. Slang words or ways of saying things that were very popular 20 or 30 years ago now make you sound old if you still use them. Young people in Paris these days speak a language that simply didn't exist 20 years ago. This is much less true in English, where I find slang tends to remain more over time.

These days in Paris young people use and abuse "frère" (equivalent of "bro") and "en mode" all the time. At my gym it drives me nuts. It's like they don't know any other words. There is also the abuse of "vas y", and of "wesh". But "frère" in particular drives me literally nuts (I hear it almost every 5 minutes when I go to the gym, and this is a rich neighborhood with sons of upper bourgeoisie Parisians!).

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
I still think Quebecois isn't too bad on the Anglicisme front.. you hear a lot more in France.
No, not in everyday's life. You'll see lots of English words in advertisement, in the media, in silly business talk, etc, but the way people speak in the street, they don't use all these English words. The Québécois use far more English words on a casual base, and it always grates on European ears. Also, the Québécois have this way of pronouncing English words like the Anglophones, complete with perfect English r, which seems very unnatural to European ears. In Europe you would sound very pedantic if you pronounced English words the way the Québécois do it (i.e. the way North American English speakers do it).

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'tit Renard View Post
Or even different genders, I recall hearing in Paris un job, but in Montreal it's always une job.
"Job" is on its way out in France (except in the expression "un job d'été", i.e. summer job for students). It's what I said about slang. It changes very quickly in France. These days it's more likely to be "du taf" or "un boulot" than "un job". There's even the verb "taffer", and the neologism "vélotaffeur" (those going to work with a bicycle, i.e. the rudest species of Parisians).

PS: Footing is also on its way out. It was my father's generation sort of word. These days in commercial speak it's been replaced by "le running" (as in "où est le rayon running ?" in a sports apparel store, but outside of stupid commercial speak I don't think people use "running" on a daily base, personally I say "je vais courir", I think a lot of people say "faire de la course", and many people say "jogging" too... you rarely hear "footing" anymore)

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:50 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
No, not in everyday's life. You'll see lots of English words in advertisement, in the media, in silly business talk, etc, but the way people speak in the street, they don't use all these English words. The Québécois use far more English words on a casual base, and it always grates on European ears. Also, the Québécois have this way of pronouncing English words like the Anglophones, complete with perfect English r, which seems very unnatural to European ears. In Europe you would sound very pedantic if you pronounced English words the way the Québécois do it (i.e. the way North American English speakers do it).
How do you read all these posts on this thread and it what accent? Come on, 'don be zhy'..

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:56 PM

Quote:
. Also, the Québécois have this way of pronouncing English words like the Anglophones, complete with perfect English r, which seems very unnatural to European ears. In Europe you would sound very pedantic if you pronounced English words the way the Québécois do it (i.e. the way North American English speakers do it).
This is kind fo funny Americans have the same criticism of Canadians for prouncing French words properly. "It's CrossanT not Croissan(t)"

Old Posted Today, 12:19 AM

Quote:
That's a bit old-fashioned now. France's French slang has a way of evolving extremely rapidly. Slang words or ways of saying things that were very popular 20 or 30 years ago now make you sound old if you still use them. Young people in Paris these days speak a language that simply didn't exist 20 years ago. This is much less true in English, where I find slang tends to remain more over time.
Honestly not sure I agree with this at all. I don’t think there’s a language that develops slang as fast as English. This is prob due to the huge reach it has as a lot of slang straight up comes from other languages.I always say to my students that slang and standard English are essentially 2 different languages.

Since I’m still at the age where it’s acceptable to use as much slang as I want I’ll give an example of a conversation I had with a friend. This is the evolution of mostly Toronto slang in the last 10 or so years.

M: Yo wagwan fam tryna link styll? It’s been a min

Bro: Wallah mans was just boutta hit u up.

M: Nize dat crodie! Can u scoop?

Bro: I gotchu bro, my bad tho u dunno I been staying a wasteyute

M: Dfkmmm bruh

Bro: I’ll reach in 10

M: Aii bet check u soon.

Old Posted Today, 12:34 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
Honestly not sure I agree with this at all. I don’t think there’s a language that develops slang as fast as English. This is prob due to the huge reach it has as a lot of slang straight up comes from other languages.I always say to my students that slang and standard English are essentially 2 different languages.

Since I’m still at the age where it’s acceptable to use as much slang as I want I’ll give an example of a conversation I had with a friend. This is the evolution of mostly Toronto slang in the last 10 or so years.

Ben la, man. Imagine being English from western canada, raising a kid in Québec bilingually and having to hear this as vernacular.

Video Link

Old Posted Today, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post

Crossing the threshold from slang to dialect?

Old Posted Today, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Ben la, man. Imagine being English from western canada, raising a kid in Québec bilingually and having to hear this as vernacular.

Video Link
T’as raison man. I check 2 out of 3 boxes mais I’m still too young to be thinking about raising a kid here. Instead I have to learn the Québecois slang for my age group (which thankfully just includes a bunch of English slang that I already know). I also notice that a lot of older expressions have staying power or that the parents will pick up on the new terms pretty fast. There’s also the slang coming from France that has invaded Quebec such as wesh and vas-y (no verlan yet tho thank god).

Old Posted Today, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Crossing the threshold from slang to dialect?
I don’t think so. I would say that’s an extreme example, but I’d wager to bet a lot of Canadians who are 25 and younger will completely understand what I typed there. Then there’s the brainrot that Harls posted which even flabbergasts me (unfortunately I still understand it), but I expect that English slang will continue to evolve at a rate that no other language can match.

Old Posted Today, 3:14 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
This is kind fo funny Americans have the same criticism of Canadians for prouncing French words properly. "It's CrossanT not Croissan(t)"
I dunno. I would wager the vast majority of English Canadians say "cruhssanT". Like over 90%.

My siblings who are native francophones who live in Ontario say "cruhssanT" when speaking English.

They also say "poo-teen" in English as opposed to "poo-tzin".

They also

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada