https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...view=imagelist
We really do have a nice urban forest

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 9:26 PM
The Vomit Bag.

really nice toon pix

Old Posted Jun 14, 2024, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
Saint John viewed from the first cruise ship of the season from netanel_fahima on Instagram. May 8th.

Pretty egregious spelling mistake... how dare they? So I thought while correcting it, I could correct something else in that photo, something that should have happened 48 years ago, imo, and that would be topping out Brunswick Square to its full 36 storey potential.

While the view wouldn't change that dramatically, the views of the surrounding hills and mountains of the river valley would be even more striking. Also, the Saint John skyline could be seen from much further away, which would be impressive. Those 17 extra floors would unlock huge potential for residential development at Brunswick Square... adding at least 17 floors of units of housing stock in the city centre, with striking views of the Bay of Fundy and Kennesbecasis/Saint John River would be huge for Saint John.

I think it would be a catalyst for development, not just for Saint John, but Atlantic Canada. I don't think Halifax and Moncton would let Saint John keep the title very long, but it might be just what Saint John needs to finally get more residential high rises put up. Plus, the building is for sale, right? Now would be the perfect time to do something ambitious like this. Anyone have any ideas on how to make it happen, or who could make it happen? We're all excited for Fundy Quay to happen, but compared to Moncton and Halifax, that project is happening at slower than a snails pace. Topping out Brunswick Square to 36 storeys could be done a lot quicker.

I think a Church has been the tallest building within the City of Saint John for long enough. Saint John has such amazing potential for ocean and river valley views, and Brunswick Square is an opportunity waiting to be unlocked. Saint John has so much potential to fill in the skyline... not just to give the city more property revenue, which it desperately needs, but to fundamentally improve the city, by increasing density and height, especially the urban core.

It's a lot nicer to live in a building with an elevator than the third or fourth floor of a building without an elevator, like many of the current rental stock Uptown. Not only is is more convenient for moving in and out of apartments for renters, it's just a lot nicer for bringing back your shopping, plus the views will speak for themselves.

Saint John's heritage restrictions and height limits as they stand are far too restrictive... Saint John needs to find a way to strike a balance between showcasing the amazing architecture of the past, while coming up with a strategy to attract the investment needed build up our skyline for the future. The strategy for high rises should be to unlock those coastal and river views, and help the city grow and densify. It's sad that it seems Saint John doesn't even want to try and compete with Moncton... I think there's so much more potential for high rises in Saint John, than Moncton, because not only are there much more spectacular views to behold, the bedrock is ideal for the foundations needed to build high rises, or even legitimate skyscrapers one day. Yet, Moncton is showing us the way. It's possible to make this happen... just takes some vision and a lot of money. I don't think Moncton or Halifax would let SJ sit at the #1 spot on the list of tallest buildings very long.

We have the potential for some of the nicest ocean views in all of Canada, yet, there's very few residential high rises in Saint John, and most are nowhere near the coast. Hopefully Saint John can learn to emulate Moncton and start building more high rises here in the Port City.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
And to think, in even less time, Saint John could build the first 36+ storey building in Atlantic Canada. If the right investors and partners got together and built Brunswick Square up to it's full 36 storey potential as it was designed for.

Why should Moncton want Saint John to build a 36+ storey first?

Because, it will give Moncton even more motivation to build something taller. I don't think Saint John would last very long at the top of the list with the way Moncton has been building and planning high rises.
No offence intended but there are way too many people here who don't understand how and why tall buildings get built.
The people who build these things are thinking about one thing alone: money. That's it. They don't care about having the tallest, most voluminous, deepest or any other superlative. If they can throw a description of a building that includes a superlatives in the marketing then it has to be something that will entice people to buy in. The fact of the matter is that being the tallest just isn't one of those things.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimhigh View Post
No offence intended but there are way too many people here who don't understand how and why tall buildings get built.
The people who build these things are thinking about one thing alone: money. That's it. They don't care about having the tallest, most voluminous, deepest or any other superlative. If they can throw a description of a building that includes a superlatives in the marketing then it has to be something that will entice people to buy in. The fact of the matter is that being the tallest just isn't one of those things.
That’s fair. Considering Brunswick Square is already 19 storeys, and was designed to accommodate 36 storeys, it could still be a money making opportunity and means to increase the housing stock.

Also, there’s lots of money to be made selling coastal views. Even more ten storey buildings would help achieve that here in Saint John, yet everything getting built seems to be 4-6 storeys.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:33 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
there’s lots of money to be made selling coastal views. Even more ten storey buildings would help achieve that here in Saint John, yet everything getting built seems to be 4-6 storeys.
As long as you can see the coast through the thick Fundy fog.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 1:50 PM
I am the law!

This is a skyline thread. Even so, what exactly would a 36 storey Brunswick Square achieve beyond being seen from farther away? That tall residential buildings bring more culture or elevate status is not true. It ain't commercial. Everyone is doing it now. Expanding on the masonry bones with quality mid rise intensification (not one speck of vinyl siding) will set the city apart than the architecturally void 30 storey towers proposed in Moncton.

Every modern 4 storey apartment block has an elevator.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:46 AM

it's nice to see that the grotesque Baydo towers that are u/c in Saskatoon likely won't have too much of an impact on the skyline judging by those pics.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:03 AM

Nice pics of St John and Saskatoon.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:51 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
it's nice to see that the grotesque Baydo towers that are u/c in Saskatoon likely won't have too much of an impact on the skyline judging by those pics.
Why so much hate?

Will you even leave the 905 to see it in person?

Show me where Baydo touched you.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Why so much hate?

Will you even leave the 905 to see it in person?

Show me where Baydo touched you.
Yes, I will visit Saskatoon.. and I reserve the right to hate that hideous new build that will already look dated once completed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:16 PM

You'll find near universal agreement from Saskatoon SSPers that Baydo Towers are absolutely hideous. But, they're happening, and there's nothing we can do about it. So harping on their ugliness ad nauseum gets a little tiresome. I've accepted their place in the cityscape and moved on, and I have to live with them!

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
You'll find near universal agreement from Saskatoon SSPers that Baydo Towers are absolutely hideous. But, they're happening, and there's nothing we can do about it. So harping on their ugliness ad nauseum gets a little tiresome. I've accepted their place in the cityscape and moved on, and I have to live with them!
it's no different than the harping on Waterloo, clockzilla or Sauga's city hall... I don't think we should be complacent to the ugliness and just accept it.. it'll only result in more ugliness.. we're a complacent country.. just look what we're turning into sadly.

More River Landing or Escape aesthetic... it has raised the bar for Saskatoon.. and has provided a level of modernity that the city just simply lacks architecturally speaking of course. Is Knox development still happening?... because that's what we need to see more of. Housing doesn't have to be cheapened when it comes to design. As much as the density is welcomed, citizens should demand better design for their neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Today, 12:16 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
Yes, I will visit Saskatoon
Echoes, get your camera when he comes off the plane.

Old Posted Today, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Echoes, get your camera when he comes off the plane.
I know I'd be gracing Saskatoon with my presence, but please, I insist, no paparazzi.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada