HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:58 PM

Saturday June 1 from 9-11am there is a hardhat tour of the Coca-Cola Bottling Plant for $30 if anyone is interested. Link to event

The tour, which will take place on Saturday, June 1 from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. will be led by the building's owner, Jared Rogers, who will share the history of the building with us, as well as, his plans to redevelop it into a restaurant and event space. The building "will also host a commercial kitchen for Bobby Boy Bakeshop." Attendees will be required to wear a hard hat and are advised to wear closed toe shoes. The event is open to members of Preservation Forsyth and the fee is $30.00 per person. Spaces are limited, so be sure to register soon!

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 4:02 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

Another financial tenant moves to downtown for their new office space and could the Hyatt Hotel project return? What about a video board on a Third Street Building? This is an exciting update!

Video Link

Hyatt Place Hotel:
Will PACE funding bring back plans for a hotel at Third and Liberty? I guess we shall see. I would love to see that ugly pit developed.

WSSU New Chancellor:

Video Link

16 West Third Street:
Could we see a video board on the former Piedmont Federal Building, at 16 West Third Street? This could be interesting. This is expected to be $105,000 project for L & L Construction.

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:

Credit: reynoldagardenswfu

New Tenants/Leases:
You may ask... who leased the retail space at Link Apartments 4th Street (501 West Fourth Street)? It's a photography studio anyone can rent for photography shoots, called The Frame Studios.

Financial firm Baird is moving from the Thruway-area to downtown. They have signed a lease for 3,762-square-feet at 751 West Fourth Street. The Milwaukee office of EUA (Eppstein Uhen Architects) will be the architect for this project. It's a significant upfit. Around half-a-million.

Dave & Busters is adding a 1,000-square-foot Immersive Room, which is a VR attraction with projection screens on the floor, walls, and ceiling. Eckinger Construction Company is the general contractor for this project.

The Tavern Restaurant at Old Salem will reopen by the end of the year.

Interstate 74:

A great view of Pilot Mountain from the I-74/I-285 Interchange in Winston-Salem:

Credit: Dale Swicegood

Bezos Center for Sustainable Protein:
FTCC in Winston-Salem will take part in the research for the new Bezos Center for Sustainable Protein, funded by the Amazon founder. The Center will work on creating a biomanufacturing hub for environmentally-friendly dietary proteins that are affordable.

Stevens Center Renovation:

Credit: 53hVXLooqeg

1007 South Marshall:
This project is finally preparing to move forward. Baltimore-based Foundry Architects is the architect for this project.

STITCH Design Shop Headquarters:

The Rendering:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Construction Update:

Credit: stitchdesignshop

Alternative Transportation:

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
The western segment of this project has gained $1.6 million in federal funding.

Off-Subject:

2024 Chamber of the Year Award:
Greater Winston-Salem is a finalist for 2024 Chamber of the Year Award as the best Chamber of Commerce in the nation. Winston-Salem is competing with chambers in Phoenix and Oklahoma City for the award. The winner will be announced July 17, 2024 at the Association of Chamber of Commerce Executives Convention.

International Black Theatre Festival:
Video Link

Puppets at Historic (1766) Salem Park:

Credit: bestofwinston

The Fray, performing at Bailey Park in downtown Winston-Salem:

Credit: winstonsalemcycling

Credit: son_daganesh

Your City

Old Posted Jun 2, 2024, 4:21 PM

Thanks, Matthews! Let’s hurry and get that electronic Times Square billboard up at 16 West Third Street!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 9:48 PM

Quote:
An unidentified manufacturing is pledging to create in Forsyth County at least 69 full-time or full-time equivalent jobs as part of a $10.5 million capital investment project.

The Forsyth Board of Commissioners will review the request for $147,981 in performance-based incentives during its briefing session at 2 p.m. Thursday.
An unidentified manufacturing is pledging to create in Forsyth County at least 69 full-time or full-time equivalent jobs as part of a $10.5 million capital investment project.

The Forsyth Board of Commissioners will review the request for $147,981 in performance-based incentives during its briefing session at 2 p.m. Thursday.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:38 PM

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 6:47 PM

Quote:
An unidentified U.S. manufacturer of wooden interior doors for homes is considering opening a facility in Winston-Salem as part of an East Coast expansion, according to an economic-incentive request to the Winston-Salem City Council.

The council's Finance committee will address "Project Sully" at Tuesday's meeting.

The manufacturer is pledging to create at least 69 full-time or full-time equivalent jobs as part of a $10.5 million capital investment project. The job-creation and capital-investments pledges would both be completed over a five-year period.

The average annual wage would be $51,268, plus benefits.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 4:41 AM

I am interested to see the digital billboard. Could be visually exciting downtown.

Also, so is 1007 Marshall the white building where Cobblestone Market is? If I recall correctly, 1001 is the larger building. It is a difficult and old building project that has made it hard to finance and get going.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 9:22 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:
I want to thank the photographers and local businesses, sharing updates on projects, who make this thread possible. Without you, these updates won't happen. I don't make any money from this and these updates are to share, with both locals and out-of-towners, what is happening in the city they love. Many people reading this are far-away and this allows them to see the projects. If you can, please support any local businesses or follow social pages sharing photographs and thank them.

More "new jobs" projects, an update on "The Crater" football stadium, and a progress update on Salem Bottling Works! Lets get updated!

Video Link

Forsyth Hall of Justice Site:
The old Forsyth Hall of Justice will be demolished, according to local media. The land will be sold as surplus property for new tax-paying development. A few years ago, I posted that someone told me this would be the plan and the County wanted a big tax revenue generating development here. It appears as if that is now confirmed. This is one of the best Brutalism designs in the State. If there was one Brutalist building we should consider saving in the Triad, this is it.

1913 Lord & Burnham Conservatory Restoration:

Credit: flblum

Kaleideum Rooftop Adventure: Built!
As you may remember, the museum opened in February, but the rooftop was still under construction. Now, the Rooftop Adventure is open!

Credit: hungrypalate_ws

Metropolitan Mixed-use:

Credit: james-i-anthony-iii

May Dell Amphitheater Renovation:
Salem College will make several renovations to the May Dell Amphitheater, including new paving, boardwalk paths, and a covered stage. These renovations are expected to cost around $250,000.

Ricoh 3D for Healthcare Innovation Studio:
Ricoh USA is the newest tenant in One Technology Place in downtown Winston-Salem's IQ District. They are launching a first-of-its-kind 3D printing and medical device manufacturing facility.

It is downtown... notice the city's tallest through the window:

Credit: Ricoh USA

New Jobs:
The company seeking incentives is a door manufacturer. They are seeking incentives from the City of Winston-Salem, Forsyth County, and the State of North Carolina. No word on the location selected, but it will be in the Winston-Salem city limits.

Hanes Park Sports Facilities:
A construction update from Winston Watchman on the M. Douglas Crater Field and Stadium and I found several renderings!

Credit: Winston Watchman

Renderings:

Credit: RjReynoldsHomeFieldAdvantage

Salem Bottling Works:

Credit: PreservationForsyth

The builder of those townhouses wanted to buy and demolish this site for more townhouses, but the property owner said no to demolition:

Notice the townhouses built directly up to the lot line...

Smith Reynolds Airport Projects:

An update on the Taxiway Alpha Project:

Credit: AVCON

$6 million taxilane and ramp to the new aviation college:

Credit: Smith Reynolds Airport

Off-Subject:

This is today:
Video Link

Top-10 Cleanest Cities in the Nation:
According to Lawn Starter, Winston-Salem is in the Top-10 least polluted cities.

Your City

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 1:44 PM

Quote:
A subdivision with almost 600 homes by a developer that has been expanding in the Triad is set for Winston-Salem.
The City-County Planning Board of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County recently approved the subdivision Bethania Forest by home builder PulteGroup, located on 243.12 acres on the east side of Bethania Road and at the northern terminus of Bethabara Road. The subdivision will have 594 lots and have a density of 2.44 units per acre.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...lte-homes.html

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 2:11 PM

Quote:
The Forsyth-Winston Salem planning board also approved a 13-lot subdivision located on 4.88 acres on the east side of Burke Mill Road and south of Hospice Lane. The subdivision will be called Anchor Acres and will have one new road connecting it to Burke Mill Road. The address of the property is 1861 Burke Mill Road.
From the Bizjournal

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Bank of America Corp. has plans to reopen a branch presence off South Stratford Road in Winston-Salem in the Stratford Oaks commercial building.

According to a May 30 filing with federal regulator U.S. Office of Comptroller of the Currency, the bank disclosed plans for a branch at 514 S. Stratford Road, Suite 280.
https://journalnow.com/news/local/bu...home-top-story

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 1:53 AM
Fourth and Main

Bank of America also signed a very long lease and option-to-buy for the old Arby's at 400 Knollwood. I suspect the second floor of the four storey building with no drive-through banking is temporary, until they open whatever is planned at 400 Knollwood? I think drive-through is a use that has to be approved and 400 Knollwood was already designed for it and has it through that approval process or grandfathering?

Yes, 1007 is the former 1940 Greyhound Bus Garage, where Cobblestone Market is located.

I've questioned if it's actually possible to install video billboards downtown? Are they banned? I guess if they were, this building owner wouldn't propose it? It would be funny if it was just the area where the old Piedmont Federal sign was located. I know it looks expensive, but there are so few details.

I've long wanted to hide the rough wall on the back of the Pepper Building/Hotel Indigo with video boards that show art and advertise events downtown. Maybe also show a short video on a different downtown retailer each week. It can rotate between art, events, and the retailer of the week. It could also show local sports teams competing on the road in big games at a park party? Construct a stage and the stage and video boards at the Pepper Building/Hotel Indigo could be a lot of fun.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 4:29 PM

Regarding I 777.

The efforts to establish an Interstate Highway on U.S. 421 as Interstate 777 by Carolina Core from Wilkesboro to I 40 in Winston-Salem are to be applauded for sure. In fact, this has been promoted on various fora for over a decade. I support this fully; however, it must be noted that this is not the best option for signing the Interstate designation. Carolina Core does not seem to understand nor grasp the importance of the numbering scheme from AASHTO. Specifically, for 3-digit Interstates where the first digit is odd the representation is for what AASHTO defines as a spur, which by definition is less important and issues from an Interstate Highway but dead-ends into a city or area. Whereas 3-digit Interstate Highways beginning with an even number are either loops from the same Interstate Highway or connect two distinct Interstate Highways. Admittedly, there are a few exceptions because apparently a particular State “wanted it that way,” and which is sometimes the case with NCDOT especially in the W-S area such as the route of I 74 and eventually (hopefully) of I 285.

Anyway, I suggest signing I 777 from Wilkesboro to I 77 and signing from I 77 to I 40 either I 477, I 677, or I 877 (not I 277 because that is already used in Charlotte).

But, if it must be I 777 the entire route that is certainly better than nothing.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Regarding I 777.

The efforts to establish an Interstate Highway on U.S. 421 as Interstate 777 by Carolina Core from Wilkesboro to I 40 in Winston-Salem are to be applauded for sure. In fact, this has been promoted on various fora for over a decade. I support this fully; however, it must be noted that this is not the best option for signing the Interstate designation. Carolina Core does not seem to understand nor grasp the importance of the numbering scheme from AASHTO. Specifically, for 3-digit Interstates where the first digit is odd the representation is for what AASHTO defines as a spur, which by definition is less important and issues from an Interstate Highway but dead-ends into a city or area. Whereas 3-digit Interstate Highways beginning with an even number are either loops from the same Interstate Highway or connect two distinct Interstate Highways. Admittedly, there are a few exceptions because apparently a particular State “wanted it that way,” and which is sometimes the case with NCDOT especially in the W-S area such as the route of I 74 and eventually (hopefully) of I 285.

Anyway, I suggest signing I 777 from Wilkesboro to I 77 and signing from I 77 to I 40 either I 477, I 677, or I 877 (not I 277 because that is already used in Charlotte).

But, if it must be I 777 the entire route that is certainly better than nothing.

I acknowledge I don’t understand the interstate number rules, but I confess to really want the new interstate to be named I Triple Seven. So cool, bro!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2024, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadkin View Post
Regarding I 777.

I also think that the road should connect to the two interstates (I-77 and I-40). We should also remember that I-77 is not a major interstate. North/South interstates were originally in multiples of five. I-40 was a major East/West Interstate, so it is a multiple of 10. I-77 was added later after the original interstates were built. I agree with everything you said. I think that an interstate that does not connect with multiple states is useless. Interstates should encourage interstate travel, which in turn brings an economic benefit. Businesses don’t build much on dead end roads that often. Companies planning National expansions look for connecting roads. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by LynnAikens; Jun 12, 2024 at 3:15 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 3:00 AM

Quote:
The historic Coca-Cola Bottling Plant located at South Poplar Street (across from the Old Salem Visitors Center) is being reimagined as a vibrant multi-use space called Salem Bottleworks.

This development ensures the preservation of the landmark by creating a new gathering space featuring a bakery, restaurants, and residential space. The best part? All the money going in and out of the project stays local.

https://thegotowinstonsalem.com/sale...ottling-plant/

Old Posted Jun 13, 2024, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Forsyth County commissioners set to consider incentive package to lure $10.5 million, 69-job project to Union Cross. The company may also be in line for other state and local incentives.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...-salem-nc.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2024, 5:18 PM

Summer on Fourth presented by Truliant Federal Credit UnionTruliant Federal Credit Union kicks off tonight at 7pm on 4th Street in front of Foothills Brewing.
#dtws

Old Posted Jun 16, 2024, 8:53 PM
Fourth and Main

Projects & Construction:

We have so many exciting things in this week's update, from a new meadery downtown to a major league sport returning to progress at a new museum to bicycle and pedestrian upgrades to a ground breaking! Lets get updated!

I didn't get an 80s song from Lauren this week, so I get to pick a song. I want to pick something Lauren wouldn't pick, so lets find something current. There are a few new "song-of-the-summer" contenders that sound retro... I'm selecting one of those...
Video Link

4th and Green Apartments & Retail:

Credit: 4th_and_green

Busch Light Clash in Winston-Salem:
NASCAR is considering moving the "Cup Series" Busch Light Clash from Los Angeles to Winston-Salem's Bowman Gray Stadium. It could happen as soon as February, next year! Work to prepare the track for The Clash could start in mid-November. This work could include temporary seating and installing SAFER Barriers, which could be relocated from Los Angeles to save money. The Los Angeles track is modeled after Bowman Gray Stadium. Though Winston-Salem has winter weather, the track is close to most teams and close to the next venue on their schedule, which the teams like. This is seen as a return to the roots of the sport. Bowman Gray Stadium was on NASCAR's schedule for many years. Having this major league-level sport return to Winston-Salem is seen as a big deal.

Interstate 74:

Video Link

Excel Interior Door:
The door manufacturer wanting to open a facility in Winston-Salem is Excel Interior Door from Alabama. They are looking at a location in Winston-Salem's Union Cross Business Park.

Bowman Gray Stadium Renovation:
The statue of Bill Hayes will be installed by the end of August 2024. Yes, we have an illustration of the statue, its base, and footings.

Credit: City of Winston-Salem

Salem Bottling Works:
This is one of those buildings that changes uses frequently, as the developer tries to find something that will pencil for the odd spaces he has to work with. It appears as if the developer has settled on apartments and hotel rooms on the top floor, along with an event space that will all open in July 2025. The ground floor will have a bakery, pizzeria, chocolatier, and a ramen restaurant, according to construction documents I shared earlier. I guess we shall see if those construction documents were right?

Credit: TBJ

Credit: winston_360

View of the sea of townhouses from the balcony:

Credit: winston_360

Rising Sun Meadery:
Rising Sun Meadery will open downtown at 505 North Cherry Street. Not many details at this time.

1782 George Stockburger House Restoration:
"Quick tour of the three guest bedrooms and bathrooms taking shape on the second floor."

Credit: stockburgerfarmhouse

African-American History Museum:
Architect Glenn Fulk said "It might not be pretty yet but we’re getting the lead out of the shotgun house now that the roof (and asbestos) is gone."

Credit: glennfulk

Amtrak at Union Station:
Be sure to attend the drop-in public meeting on July 1 (7 a.m., to 6 p.m.,) at Union Station to let the MPO know your preferred projects and desired point assignment for regional impact projects. Let them know you want to see projects like Amtrack at Union Station and Interstate 285 as priorities.

Transit, Bike, & Pedestrian Improvements:
They are proposing several bicycle and pedestrian safety enhancements to transform Old Salem into a pedestrian and bicycle friendly district/area/place. Among them are: Two-way cycle tracks incorporated into the Main and Liberty two-way traffic project. Use rapid flashing beacons and texture & color to make crosswalks more visible. Upgrade lighted intersections with Leading Pedestrian Intervals (LPI). Add more 4-way stop intersections. Install more wayfinding to help pedestrians and cyclists find attractions and trails. Add more bicycle parking. Reduce speed limits and eliminate right-on-red turns. When these items are completed, the area will become a signed pedestrian/bicycle district, though it may not use the name district.

Salem Parkway Bike & Pedestrian Path:
There will be a ground breaking at the Green Street Pedestrian Bridge (next to the ballpark) on July 2, at 11 a.m., for the Salem Parkway Multi-use Path. Yes, work is finally starting!

Your City

Old Posted Jun 17, 2024, 4:11 AM

I believe in restoration and conservation by the County Halm of Justice can go to demolition. From what I have heard the interior design is not inviting and is not a great space to work in.
I could be dreaming but imagine a mixed use tower with office space. Maybe a new company or an existing legacy company looking to relocate in the core and put their name on the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations