HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 1, 2024, 6:38 PM
Dev45

The Feds put out a media advisory for Monday. Looks like construction will get underway on the terminals soon.

Bedford, Nova Scotia, March 4, 2024 — Members of the media are invited to an infrastructure announcement related to the Mill Cove Ferry Service with Andy Fillmore, Member of Parliament for Halifax and Lena Metlege Diab, Member of Parliament for Halifax West, on behalf of the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities; Darren Fisher, Member of Parliament for Dartmouth-Cole Harbour, and Darrell Samson, Member of Parliament for Sackville—Preston—Chezzetcook; the Honourable Timothy Halman, Minister of Environment and Climate Change, on behalf of Public Works Minister Kim Masland; Tim Outhit, Councillor for HRM District 16 (Bedford - Wentworth), and Dave Reage, Executive Director of Halifax Transit.

Date:
March 4, 2024

Time:
11:00 a.m. AST

377 Shore Drive, Bedford NS B4A 2C7
http://https://www.canada.ca/en/offi...n-halifax.html

Old Posted Mar 2, 2024, 1:27 PM

The federal Libs are trying to keep an ember of hope alive for their chances in the next election.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 6:51 PM

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, or if I should make a new one in the General section, but I am going to Halifax later this month for a few days, for the second time, and want to explore the area more this time around. I would love to go to Prince Edward Island, actually. Is Maritime Bus the best way to get there other than renting a car?

If I don't go to PEI, I want to go to Lunenburg and/or Windsor. It looks like there are regional bus options from the bus station by the Nova Scotian Hotel, similar to the reginal bus option from the airport to Downtown Halifax. Are these buses the only way, or if they are not, are other options better?

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 8:13 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Sorry if this is the wrong thread, or if I should make a new one in the General section, but I am going to Halifax later this month for a few days, for the second time, and want to explore the area more this time around. I would love to go to Prince Edward Island, actually. Is Maritime Bus the best way to get there other than renting a car?

If I don't go to PEI, I want to go to Lunenburg and/or Windsor. It looks like there are regional bus options from the bus station by the Nova Scotian Hotel, similar to the reginal bus option from the airport to Downtown Halifax. Are these buses the only way, or if they are not, are other options better?
Lunenburg has tour buses and regional shuttle vans (which I know nothing about) but otherwise would require car rental. Windsor and PEI have Maritime bus service which tends to work fine. Nothing glamorous but perfectly functional as long as their schedule is compatible with yours. However, their stops aren't always at the most convenient locations and smaller communities don't always have many local transportation options. So be sure that you can get around once you arrive. Otherwise, renting a car is the best bet.

Last edited by Nouvellecosse; May 3, 2024 at 9:15 PM.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 9:06 PM

Unless the cost of a rental car is a problem, I would suggest to take that option. Time is short on vacation, and it allows you to work on your schedule, plus it opens up so many options for you to visit places and see/experience things that a bus just won't take you to.

For times that you just want to experience Halifax, a car isn't necessary, as there are many bus options - or just walk, as Halifax downtown really isn't that big. You can also rent bikes downtown, I believe, if you want to go that way.

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 5:23 AM

Thanks for the help so far. Renting a car is about $60 per day, which is fairly cost prohibitive. The Confederation Bridge is a $50 toll. The Maritime Bus to Charlottetown is about $55 each way.

So, I think it has become clear that if I decide to go to Charlottetown, then the Maritime Bus is best, and if I decide to go to Lunenburg and Windsor, then a rental car is the best option.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 9:59 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Keep in mind that $60:rental car cost is in Canadian dollars, which is only about $42 US.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 5:19 PM

Even PEI would be better explored with a rental car, but if you only want to see Charlottetown, the bus plan should be just fine. It really depends upon how much time you have and how much of the island you want to see.

Best of luck with your planning! I’m sure you will enjoy it, no matter which way you go.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 6:41 PM

Halifax Transit has now received (at least) its first electric bus. I saw it on the roads about a week ago with fleet number 2000 on it. Looks almost identical on the outside as the existing Nova diesels, with added height on the roof. Didn't get a picture, as I was driving.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2024, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEtc View Post
Halifax Transit has now received (at least) its first electric bus. I saw it on the roads about a week ago with fleet number 2000 on it. Looks almost identical on the outside as the existing Nova diesels, with added height on the roof. Didn't get a picture, as I was driving.
The bus was actually delivered in early December 2023.

https://www.halifax.ca/transportatio...on-bus-project

http://www.comedyrapnewsuspa24com.us...ctric-bus.html

and they were testing the electric vehicle as early as February 2023.

https://ca.linkedin.com/posts/nova-b...674419200-KQi8

https://twitter.com/hfxtransit/statu...64561180200961

https://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/com...v_bus_testing/

https://www.reddit.com/r/halifax/com...us_in_halifax/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure