HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:41 PM

Happy to see more developments happening on the Gatineau side. Especially close to the border and Hull. Time for Gatineau to start acting like Quebec's 3rd largest city and become more rich, vibrant and attractive for intraprovincial migration.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Happy to see more developments happening on the Gatineau side. Especially close to the border and Hull. Time for Gatineau to start acting like Quebec's 3rd largest city and become more rich, vibrant and attractive for intraprovincial migration.
Its the 4th largest city(1-MTL, 2-QC, 3-laval, 4- Gatineau)

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:53 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

They seemed to be doing site prep to start digging the foundations this morning.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
Its the 4th largest city(1-MTL, 2-QC, 3-laval, 4- Gatineau)
True although Laval can be really considered to be part of Montreal. But I guess in that same vein so could Gatineau (with Ottawa) haha

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:18 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
True although Laval can be really considered to be part of Montreal. But I guess in that same vein so could Gatineau (with Ottawa) haha
Depending on who you talk to and in which context, we're anywhere from the third to the fifth city in Quebec.

We're the third metro since Ottawa-Gatineau (Quebec part) actually exists and has separate statistics for it.

We're also arguably more stand-alone from Ottawa than Laval is from Montreal.

On the other hand we're sometimes less in the consciousness than other smaller cities like Trois-Rivières and even Sherbrooke because we're a bit outside of "mainline" Quebec and of course associated with being in Ottawa's orbit.

Though this has IMO changed a great deal in recent years and I find Gatineau is way more on the radar in Quebec overall than it used to be - in the media and popular culture for example.

If you pay attention to the Quebec media, Gatineau is always there in terms of ads for tours and is often in the "big three" of tour stops with Montreal and Quebec City as the only others.

Note that as a potential francophone market, Gatineau + Ottawa is close to twice the size of the next-largest, which is Sherbrooke.

There are something like 150,000 francophones in Ottawa and Eastern Ontario (though it's true lots of them are not tuned into francophone culture) so when you add the 300,000+ on the Gatineau side it's still a large cultural market for stuff in French.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 5:50 PM

Yeah for sure, I see Gatineau as a suburb of Ottawa, but more of a "real" city than Laval. It seems more on the radar in the media and at the Provincial Assembly, but that's not really translating into more investments, but more empty promises.

I agree with Acajack, as a Franco-Ontarian, I'll admit that I'm not really in-tune with the Francophonie. I read Le Droit, I watch francophone news, I'm a fan of Les Cowboys Fringants and I'm aware and somewhat like some of Quebec's more popular bands of the last 50 years, but overall, I'm not super into Quebec culture. Watching the Bye-Bye, I only really get the political references.

Back on topic, this building seems to have a decent design, but by God it's huge. Gatineau builds nearly exclusively block busters. I wish they could do like Ottawa and redistribute the density. Have a lower podium with towers on the corners or something.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2024, 3:17 AM

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa