HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
So anecdotes, and no hard evidence.
Hmmm, not everyone seems to agree with you ...That's a funny definition of consistent.
You also don't see Kelowna's, Yellowknife's, LaRonge's, Halifax and Lytton's in N.Ont either. Perhaps it's because they are different built forms, geography, ecosystems, etc. Not everything translates - or are BC, SK, NS and NWT just as "bad" as Alberta?
Oh wow, you're quoting the NDP leader of the opposition. I'm not aware that there was an actual cut in funding. Forest fire fighting budget was just a projection and some years much more is spent.

I know that each place has a different climate, topography, etc. but both Fort Mac and Timmins are in boreal forest and are pretty flat. We've had some close calls but I'm not aware of any house burning down here in my lifetime.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
Sure thing. This source has legit never been wrong yet. And he literally talks to JT daily. So yeah, Im pretty confident.
So Gerry Butts has some intel. Well well I suppose after what he and company did to the Ontario Liberals perhaps a lesson has been learned. Trudeau could not bear the humiliation of driving only a School Bus of Liberal MP's after the next election. Perhaps the P.M. was job shopping in Normandy today.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
This isn't fair or accurate. Love or hate the guy, he has many accomplishments to his name (as well as negatives).
Obviously. In a decades time when history looks back on thing I think we will see it as decade where Canada began the transition to a new environmentally and socially responsible period.

That said, JT is clearly un-electable. Staying in that role puts all of that at risk and has the potential to allow a conservative government to come to power. It is time for JT to leave.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
That said, JT is clearly un-electable. Staying in that role puts all of that at risk and has the potential to allow a conservative government to come to power. It is time for JT to leave.
Way too late for that. The time to resign if the goal was to avoid a wild pendulum swing towards Anyone-Who’s-Not-JT and away from the Liberals was years ago. The damage to the Team Red brand has been done and it’s pretty severe.

There’s barely enough time for a leadership race between now and the election at this point…

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Obviously. In a decades time when history looks back on thing I think we will see it as decade where Canada began the transition to a new environmentally and socially responsible period.

Talk about delusional. Him staying in power has the "potential" to bring a Conservative government to power? Besides the near certainty of the next election going Conservative you think Trudeau resigning changes the outcome?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Canadians can be extremely politically emotional but with short memories. Looking back a decade ago, I can remember that the political rhetoric of 2015 was "Stop Harper" (Some stickers still survive to this day if you can find them) and it's time to vote "ABC" (anyone but Conservative). Honestly, the rhetoric of the time wasn't too much different from today's "Fuck Trudeau" and the general populist thought that the LPC has grown corrupt yet complacent.

No one really looks back and remembers what Stephen Harper did wrong, but we do look back on his time as prime minister as a period of aggressive free trade and free immigration policies that we still benefit from.

Like you say, none of the outrage will exist in 10 years time, but it certainly exists today.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Talk about delusional. Him staying in power has the "potential" to bring a Conservative government to power? Besides the near certainty of the next election going Conservative you think Trudeau resigning changes the outcome?
I think it is a given if JT remains as leader, the Liberals will be lose and the Conservatives will end up with a majority. People have lost trust in JT. At that point it does not matter what he is saying.

A new Liberal party leader has the potential to at least deny the Conservatives a majority.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I guess sharing fentanyl in a tent city is social and not carbon intensive...true.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
Canadians can be extremely politically emotional but with short memories. Looking back a decade ago, I can remember that the political rhetoric of 2015 was "Stop Harper" (Some stickers still survive to this day if you can find them) and it's time to vote "ABC" (anyone but Conservative). Honestly, the rhetoric of the time wasn't too much different from today's "Fuck Trudeau" and the general populist thought that the LPC has grown corrupt yet complacent.

No one really looks back and remembers what Stephen Harper did wrong, but we do look back on his time as prime minister as a period of aggressive free trade and free immigration policies that we still benefit from.

Like you say, none of the outrage will exist in 10 years time, but it certainly exists today.
I am not so sure about that. Harper was not someone you wanted at your BBQ but he probably wouldn't show up anyway as he knew his files and the details and clearly was a competent Nerd. He left the Country better than he found it despite the 2008-09 Crash. Trudeau has not left things in better shape and he would go to EVERY BBQ , drink the hosts best Scotch, eat his steak and never leave.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post
And yet, based on my 6 Nations / New Credit friends, if you're not in a philosophical discussion about it and just hanging out, most have no problems using Native or even Indian.
Same with my experiences including some of my family members. Like with most people, it's best to use more formal names and terminology until you get to know them well.

Politeness and respect go a long way of course. Interestingly, I've had non-Indigenous people try to educate me on basic Indigenous things and I find that they are often the ones who get more upset about the wrong word being used. The most recent was when I referred to a certain Indian Band. The person said, it's called a First Nation and you can't call it that anymore. Well the band council still goes by "Indian Band" in its official name for the band council itself even though "First Nation" is used when referring to the reserve territory.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Trudeau is stepping down this summer. Heard it here first.
I've heard about him stepping down for awhile but I'd say that the chances of it happening are very high. The by-election in Toronto-St.Paul's on June 24th will likely determine if he leaves quickly announcing his stepping down that week or if he announces in a couple of months. He would only stay on if that by-election ends up being a huge Liberal victory.

I'm sure that there are a lot of Liberal MPs telling JT that you've done great things for our party but that voters don't normally like anyone who sticks around more than 8 years.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:09 AM

Quote:

The outrage will remain in Alberta though.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:15 AM

Quote:
I think it is a given if JT remains as leader, the Liberals will be lose and the Conservatives will end up with a majority. People have lost trust in JT. At that point it does not matter what he is saying.

A new Liberal party leader has the potential to at least deny the Conservatives a majority.
It's hard to say. If the NDP has a stronger leader then I'd say that denying a minority would be much more likely. Singh is no Jack Layton and doesn't stand out as an alternative. I wish Tom Mulcair was still leader because he could really take on PP well.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 1:51 AM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
That's how democracies tend to work though. When a party - regardless of ideology - is in power for long enough, malaise and corruption inevitably seep in. Bad decisions get made, the country suffers for it, and people get angry. Our political history is basically just flip-flopping between "ABC" and "ABL", depending on who's turn it is.

Quote:
This isn't fair or accurate. Love or hate the guy, he has many accomplishments to his name (as well as negatives).
Such as?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:13 AM

1) Legalized marijuana,
2) Greatly permanently boosted the value of Canadian real estate.

That’s about the two I can come up with. The current iteration of the LPC has a really thin resume for ~10 years in power. Almost everything is shittier now that they’ve touched it.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:17 AM

That said, to be fair, I’ve always been opposed to judging politicians by their amount of flashy “accomplishments”. Managing well, with no real revolutionary changes, is already a fantastic job, so I’m fine with a politician with no accomplishments (not to be confused with Trudeau, who has a long list of negative accomplishments like declining GDP per capita, more than doubling homelessness in my region in two short years, skyrocketing food bank use, etc.)

As JT’s case illustrates, a PM who by contrast would have been able to run the country without pretty much any positive metric being in decline under their watch would already be a noteworthy “accomplishment”.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
I guess sharing fentanyl in a tent city is social and not carbon intensive...true.
Importing a lot of destitute warm bodies is great for reducing our emissions per capita. It’s the silver lining of our declining GDP per capita. Goes hand in hand.

As I used to say, if we imported 40 million New Suckers tomorrow and managed to park them somewhere within this country, we’d instantly halve the oilpatch’s emissions (per capita) right then and there

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
I think quite the opposite. Trudeau has managed in 9 years to create hundreds of tent cities, 2 million lining up at the Food Banks every month, created an environment where most young people have given up ever owning a home, given us the lowest per-capita GDP growth in the G7 since he took power, brought our once enviable healthcare system to the brink of collapse, and saddled the next generation with mountains of debt to service. How could this possibly be considered socially responsible? He has singlehandedly managed to throw an entire generation straight under the bus.

As for the environment, he has certainly talked a good game but that's about it. This is the same man who bought an entire pipeline and gave Atlantic Canadians a pass on the carbon tax so they could continue to use amongst the most highly polluting sources of heat strictly due to his plunging in the polls in what was always a Liberal bastion. Despite all his green talk, the proof is in the pudding..............Canada has yet to reach a single GHG emissions goal since he took power and our 2030 goals are now laughably unattainable.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Heard a suggestion the other day that he'd more or less checked out after his marriage failed.
I think he basically checked out after the 2019 election, and then the pandemic came along and gave him purpose again.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 3:00 AM

People won’t forget the damage trudeau did. His government has hurt and set back an entire generation of youth. People won’t forgive or forget that. They won’t forget the corruption. The won’t forget the corrupt ass traitors aiding foreign governments sitting in OUR parliament. They won’t forget being left out of important partnerships with our closest allies and friends. The damage he’s done will be felt for decades. Canadians need to first reclaim their sovereignty. Then they can begin to fix the mess and the corruption which has so clearly infiltrated the federal government and its institutions.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada