HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #7881  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 7:13 PM
Mr_Me Mr_Me is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2023
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
For the foreseeable future, I am going to treat this as a completely speculative and unsubstantiated rumour, and will not be commenting further on this unless some more convincing evidence becomes available. I am less happy about this rumour than I was about the Two Brothers when that rumour first surfaced.......
Where did the name Two Brothers come from?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7882  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 7:21 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Me View Post
Where did the name Two Brothers come from?
It's only a placeholder name, and is only really a nickname.

Lafford's other project is the Three Sister. Since this project will be across the street and consists of two towers, it was only natural they became known as the "Two Brothers".

I have it on very good authority that when the project is officially announced, the official name will be something quite different.

It won't be like the "Tomato Building", also a nickname, but, one that will stick forever.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7883  
Old Posted Jun 1, 2024, 10:48 PM
MonctonDowntown MonctonDowntown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Moncton
Posts: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnaygull View Post
Unfortunately, the buildings themselves are no longer the "art" as they once were. That being said, I would rather see a non-profit organization provide art to public properties that represent various causes and cultural representations.

Do other cities do this same practice of including art as part of the cost of building?
Many cities, such as Toronto’s Section 37 funds, will charge a developer x% of the capital costs towards public art. Often, the city and developer will negotiate that instead of contributing the money to purchase art, the funds will go to improving an existing nearby park or in building a parkette on the property that is open to the public, not just for the residents of the condo/apartment being built.

Bob
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7884  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 4:17 PM
Riberview Riberview is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 273
There is a crane on site south of the old workers coop, appears to be driving steel beams into the ground.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7885  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 4:26 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
There is a crane on site south of the old workers coop, appears to be driving steel beams into the ground.
Soil testing for the Two Brothers????
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7886  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 4:59 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Soil testing for the Two Brothers????
I would say yes. They seem to really have a smart team, the Three Sisters, has been amazing to watch, and now they are doing their due diligence in advance for the next property.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7887  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 5:43 PM
jonny golden jonny golden is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,970
Lafford has been one of the best things to happen to the Moncton development scene!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7888  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:15 PM
Mattyyy Mattyyy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
There is a crane on site south of the old workers coop, appears to be driving steel beams into the ground.
I noticed that yesterday as well but I assumed it was for work across the street - but that makes sense. It's the same style of crane used at the Icon property on Main for driving beams.


Lafford is incredible - I have every bit of confidence he will start work on the new buildings as soon as he tops out on the third sister. Now if only the other developers downtown could be as serious about their projects as Lafford.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7889  
Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:24 PM
jonny golden jonny golden is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyyy View Post
I noticed that yesterday as well but I assumed it was for work across the street - but that makes sense. It's the same style of crane used at the Icon property on Main for driving beams.


Lafford is incredible - I have every bit of confidence he will start work on the new buildings as soon as he tops out on the third sister. Now if only the other developers downtown could be as serious about their projects as Lafford.
I'm wondering what the hold up is with the St. Bernard's Place project? It's really going to make a big impact when it's complete!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7890  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 6:28 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
New renderings (and a name) for the apartment building under construction at Main and Vaughan Harvey (reposted from the main Moncton thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post
Corner of Main Street and Vaughan Harvey Blvd.

(Posted online today by Spitfire). https://www.facebook.com/share/y5HQXkd5Ay1JA1By/?mibextid=WC7FNe



Quote:
"Project Runway: West Gate by Resolute Living

Discover downtown Moncton's newest gem

This stunning 89-unit, 6-storey building, on the corner of Main and Vaughan Harvey Blvd, boasts concrete cast-in-place construction for quiet, cozy living. The modern, spacious 1 and 2 bedroom units were designed with comfort in mind. With underground parking and a prime location, convenience is at your doorstep. This development also boasts 10,000 square feet of customizable commercial space, ready to be tailored to your specific requirements.

Welcome home to unparalleled urban living!

Please contact [email protected] for info on leasing, availability, etc".
So, the official name for this building will be West Gate. I rather like the name. I might just have to stop calling it the "Tomato Building"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7891  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 7:15 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Also to note, they also have commercial space for lease as well! I don’t think that was originally mentioned. That this newest render would have it.

I’m not a huge van of the siding, the wood can look nice, but I just don’t like that kind of siding on buildings downtown. This doesn’t look horrible, but it just feels very suburban.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7892  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:03 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
They are still pile driving at the Two Brothers site, but, they have moved the crane way over to the western edge of the property, on the other side of Foundry Street, immediately next to Field 6 at the Hal Betts Sports Complex.

I found this quite surprising. Are they planning on stopping up that little stub of Foundry Street when construction gets underway???
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7893  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:20 PM
jonny golden jonny golden is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They are still pile driving at the Two Brothers site, but, they have moved the crane way over to the western edge of the property, on the other side of Foundry Street, immediately next to Field 6 at the Hal Betts Sports Complex.

I found this quite surprising. Are they planning on stopping up that little stub of Foundry Street when construction gets underway???
Wouldn't this activity support the rumour that those two fields are sold?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7894  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:25 PM
Beaubassin Beaubassin is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
They are still pile driving at the Two Brothers site, but, they have moved the crane way over to the western edge of the property, on the other side of Foundry Street, immediately next to Field 6 at the Hal Betts Sports Complex.

I found this quite surprising. Are they planning on stopping up that little stub of Foundry Street when construction gets underway???
Maybe after building the Three Sisters and the Two Brothers, they will build the "Only Child" as the big finale
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7895  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 8:27 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Wouldn't this activity support the rumour that those two fields are sold?
Not necessarily. I think they are pile driving close to the property line.

It is quite interesting nonetheless...........
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7896  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 9:23 PM
jonny golden jonny golden is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 2,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Not necessarily. I think they are pile driving close to the property line.

It is quite interesting nonetheless...........
Looking at the property map, it seems that the property boundry stops at the Foundry St. stub. If they're pile driving west of that by the ball fields, it is more than interesting. I'm not sure you can do that kind of work on a property you don't own. (assuming the map is accurate)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7897  
Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 11:28 PM
new kid in town new kid in town is offline
average Moncton enjoyer
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Moncton
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaubassin View Post
Maybe after building the Three Sisters and the Two Brothers, they will build the "Only Child" as the big finale
If the Two Brothers are truly 20 storeys, what will the Only Child be??? 50? lmao
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7898  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 12:37 AM
sailor734 sailor734 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2023
Posts: 2,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
Also to note, they also have commercial space for lease as well! I don’t think that was originally mentioned. That this newest render would have it.

I’m not a huge van of the siding, the wood can look nice, but I just don’t like that kind of siding on buildings downtown. This doesn’t look horrible, but it just feels very suburban.
I agree. I'd never have guessed that was the Tomato Building when i saw the rendering. It does look very suburban to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7899  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 1:12 AM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I agree. I'd never have guessed that was the Tomato Building when i saw the rendering. It does look very suburban to me.
It’s a lovely building, just personally want to see more. I guess I should have gone into engineering and design. I am sure when it’s finished it’s going to look amazing. Renders don’t usually do a building justice..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7900  
Old Posted Jun 6, 2024, 3:23 AM
Ifyoubuildit Ifyoubuildit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
I agree. I'd never have guessed that was the Tomato Building when i saw the rendering. It does look very suburban to me.
I think it is going to look great once complete. It wasn’t that long ago that the only thing on that corner was an old car garage in disrepair and an ugly billboard. This is a sizable build, concrete with amenities, I say bravo to the developers. Maybe they can land an Italian restaurant in the commercial space and the tomato lady can supply the tomatoes for the sauce. Win win.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:22 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.