HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Trump and MAGA-ites would strongly disagree.

US incomes exploded in the 2014-2020 range at a rate not seen in decades. COVID put a damper on it for a few years, but my understanding is that it's returned to growth again.

Canada falling so far behind the US is less to do with Canadian incomes falling (which they are now, but not initially), but US incomes exploding while Canada didn't follow.

The very fact that the US isn't seeing the same economic headwinds the rest of the world right now speaks to this. Most of the globe is facing a recession and the US economy keeps on trucking, albeit not at the pace pre-pandemic.

I don't think this is entirely attributable to Trump and republican economic policy - I do think it's part of it though. At the very least Trump hasn't gotten in the way of the economy.

Trump is hugely problematic for other reasons relating to what he means for the health of US democracy, government stability, foreign relations, etc... but his Presidency presided over one of the largest periods of economic growth in a lonnnnnnggg time in the US.

To be clear I would never, ever, ever vote for the man. He's terrible news overall - just not on the economic front, or at least he wasn't for his first (and hopefully last!) presidency.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada