HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:04 AM

I haven't recently had a chance to be checking out much of the ongoing construction around Metro Vancouver, but few weeks ago I did make a trip to see how the new Pattullo Bridge is coming along. It was a really nice sunny day to be walking around New Westminster shoreline and across the old bridge.

When the new bridge is completed next year, there will be in total four bridges across the river before the old bridge is demolished on the following year.

Traffic arrangements on the north end are starting to take shape.

Nearby Victoria Hill neighborhood has such awesome views, especially on a beautiful day like this.

The exiting bridge is way past its prime, having been completed 87 years ago. It is estimated that it could collapse in case of a major earthquake or during a freak storm.

Lougheed and Burquitlam skylines are looking pretty awesome, considering that a short 5 years ago there was no skyline to talk about.

City of New Westminster.

The center pylon has officially reached its peak height of 168 meters, which makes it the new landmark. I wish some nice lighting would be added to the new bridge once completed, but such things don't unfortunately happen in Vancouver.

First piece of road deck went up recently and there are going to be 80 cables to hold the entire road deck.

On south end, the new bridge will have an offramp connecting it with the Highway 17 that runs directly below it.

Brownsville Bar Park is not a very great park in itself, but it offers some nice views of the construction, as well as the other bridges crossing the river.

I have to admin, I am going to miss the old bridge, as it is pretty iconic part of our city.

The fourth crossing is a railway swing bridge that was built in 1904 and still operates today with no plans for a replacement.

And there you have it. It was a hot day to walk across the bridge and see it from different angles, but it was worth it to capture some photos to remember the old bridge once it will be gone. I hope you enjoyed!

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:21 AM

I enjoyed.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:43 AM

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:11 PM
Peddling to progress

Thanks for all the pics, Klazu!

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:23 PM

Great shots documenting the bridge construction. New West also has some great heritage buildings, nice to see them again.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 7:40 PM

Yes, great photos Klaus. It was quite the trek you made.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:32 PM

Thanks, guys. My legs were definitely killing me after the walk, but it was so great to see all the progress being made in that fantastic weather.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I wish. If I win the lottery, I would offer to pay for it, to any municipality

Last edited by Zepfancouver; May 27, 2024 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 10:18 PM

Src: article noted

"Shortsighted decision": New replacement Pattullo Bridge with four lanes is too small, says Surrey mayor | Kenneth Chan | May 28 2024, 1:25 pm
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/patt...capacity-small

"“It was a shortsighted decision to replace a four-lane bridge with a four-lane bridge,” says Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke.

In a rather pointed statement issued today solely criticizing the ongoing project to replace the Pattullo Bridge, Locke says the new replacement crossing should have been built with more traffic lanes from the get-go.

The decision to proceed with a four-lane replacement bridge “was done despite Surrey’s rapidly growing population and increased traffic demands. The province should be investing in modern infrastructure that will support only the needs of the present but also of the future. This lack of foresight in infrastructure investment will not only worsen congestion, but also threaten to stifle the economic growth and development of Surrey.”"

Mayor Locke lets loose on the Pattullo Bridge replacement!

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 10:35 PM

Locke should figure out how policing is going to work in Surrey before complaining about this years-old project. We all know why it's starting at 4 lanes.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:19 AM

We all know the 4 lane opening was shortsighted. We all know why it was done this way (New Westminster...).

My prediction is, classic BC way style of building, within a decade after the bridge opens it will be expanded to six lanes, and likely at that time they will also construct the Surrey side interchange to be fully free flow with the SFPR.

In the end it will cost hundreds of millions of dollars more than just doing it from the start, but that's just how we operate.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:31 AM

Src: DH

Could squeeze another couple lanes in, no?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 4:35 AM

The bridge deck is built for 6 lanes, but during this conversion the pedestrian and cycling lanes will need to be cantilevered off the sides of the bridge. That will cost some money and take some time.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:32 AM
SkyTrain Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

Could squeeze another couple lanes in, no?
[The Bike Lobby sharpens their pitchforks]

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:47 AM

I’m fine with 4 lanes. I wish they had better interchanges on either end though

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:10 AM

Six lanes would have removed several bottlenecking lane merges, most of those extremely short, which will make the traffic crawl and backlog even if four lanes might be enough capasity wise.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirisboy View Post
I’m fine with 4 lanes. I wish they had better interchanges on either end though
The north end is okay, the south end though.... save for the direct south to west ramp to the SFPR, the interactions are awful.

As for that ramp, at the bare minimum a 5th add drop lane would have made a lot of sense on the southbound side of the bridge.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:00 PM

"Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed again, now projected to open in 2025" Anna Burns May 25, 2024 surreynowleader.com
article

Once completed, the four-lane bridge – which will have the potential to expand to six lanes in the future – will include “high-quality” walking and cycling paths connecting to the bridge, and “wide multi-use paths” in both directions on the bridge, separated from traffic by barriers.
B.C. Minister Of Transportation Rob Fleming stated in a news release Friday that the projects are making “tremendous” progress despite the challenges both have faced. “These projects will move people and goods more quickly and safely around the Lower Mainland,” Fleming stated.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
"Shortsighted decision": New replacement Pattullo Bridge with four lanes is too small, says Surrey mayor | Kenneth Chan | May 28 2024, 1:25 pm
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/patt...capacity-small
Uhhh, this is not news.
It was debated ad nauseum before the project was tendered.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Uhhh, this is not news.
It was debated ad nauseum before the project was tendered.
It is on brand though for Brenda Locke to rehash old and tired arguments and drive them into the ground.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure