HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Avoiding downtown at all costs has been a sound strategy for many people for many years. Since HRM has put in so many measures designed to stop vehicles from entering and easily moving people in and out of the area, many no longer go near DT unless they are forced to. I know when I had to renew my passport recently I could go to the office in the old WTCC or to Bedford. I went to Bedford.

OF course all the junior planning types love what HRM is doing to DT. The previous generation's same group loved what they did back in that era too.
You have such a small town 20th century mindset, where you think you can just drive downtown pull your car up and park in front of where you are going. Its just not reality, especially as the city grows towards a million people.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
You have such a small town 20th century mindset, where you think you can just drive downtown pull your car up and park in front of where you are going. Its just not reality, especially as the city grows towards a million people.
I said nothing about parking. My point was that just getting into downtown and getting around once there has been made far more difficult. But now that you bring it up...

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
I said nothing about parking. My point was that just getting into downtown and getting around once there has been made far more difficult. But now that you bring it up...
Its true, we need better transit to get into and around downtown.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:37 AM

Quote:
I feel it is important for the junior planning students to realize that the real world is very different from what their sources tell them is true.
I feel it is important for you to realize that the world is different from when you bought your home for $800 in 1949.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerDe View Post
I feel it is important for you to realize that the world is different from when you bought your home for $800 in 1949.
And I feel it is important to point out that you are utterly clueless.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 12:39 PM

If you hate downtown so much Keith you should be glad we have so many "neighbourhood centres" based on planning principles from a by-gone century that are filled with parking lots, wide roads and lots of angry drivers. Enjoy your Bayers Lakes and Cole Harbour Roads of the world and let people who enjoy cities try to make ours more inviting for people who are willing to get out of their car.

Is it really that hard for you to take an extra 5-minutes of your trip to find parking downtown or take the bus like almost a hundred thousand of us do every day? If this is your main gripe with the city, it really shows how sheltered and out of touch you are.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 1:13 PM
Salty Town

It would be nice to hear from the architects and designers on this forum regarding built form and what the Cogswell district might look like. How many are in favour of incorporating some heritage component of maybe 20%? Should the heights exceed the rampart restrictions, which would be approx. 27 storeys? (push to 40 storeys?)

Space for a performing arts centre, 17,000 seat arena, underground infrastructure or other major public structures is now gone. Will we be left with a string of table top apartment buildings with no particular architectural style and some awkward grassy areas with difficult access?

Last edited by Empire; May 26, 2024 at 4:55 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
Is it really that hard for you to take an extra 5-minutes of your trip to find parking downtown or take the bus like almost a hundred thousand of us do every day? If this is your main gripe with the city, it really shows how sheltered and out of touch you are.
I tend to avoid going to locations where it has been made clear I am not welcome, as HRM has done with motorists and DT. As for taking Transit, that is even a more unpleasant experience though it is also so unreliable that perhaps you were saying it in jest. At least you did not suggest taking a velocipede.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:35 PM

I live in the north end (hfx) and personally find traffic in bayers lake/other business parks typically worse/more difficult to navigate than downtown. That being said, I rarely drive downtown since I'm within walking/cycling distance and along multiple corridor bus routes. As someone who recently started using transit daily this year after about 10 years of not using it, Halifax Transit isn't as unreliable/unpleasant as some would make it out to be (imo anyway).

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherNorthender View Post
I live in the north end (hfx) and personally find traffic in bayers lake/other business parks typically worse/more difficult to navigate than downtown. That being said, I rarely drive downtown since I'm within walking/cycling distance and along multiple corridor bus routes. As someone who recently started using transit daily this year after about 10 years of not using it, Halifax Transit isn't as unreliable/unpleasant as some would make it out to be (imo anyway).
Bayers Lake is nightmare! I avoid it if I can, especially on a Saturday.

Last edited by Haliguy; May 27, 2024 at 12:47 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
It would be nice to hear from the architects and designers on this forum regarding built form and what the Cogswell district might look like. How many are in favour of incorporating some heritage component of maybe 20%? Should the heights exceed the rampart restrictions, which would be approx. 27 storeys? (push to 40 storeys?)

Space for a performing arts centre, 17,000 seat arena, underground infrastructure or other major public structures is now gone. Will we be left with a string of table top apartment buildings with no particular architectural style and some awkward grassy areas with difficult access?
The Rampart restrictions are so stupid! Just get rid of that nonsensical restrictive mindset. I would love to see a new area built as part of this project though! Then you could tear down the old one and build more buildings where it is!

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Bayers Lake is nightmare! I avoid it if I can, especially on a Saturday.
Bayers Lake, and to a slightly lesser extent Dartmouth Crossing, are poorly designed. In the case of BL it is slightly more understandable as it was originally laid out to be an industrial park, but after failing to attract much business under that model, the municipality realized that retail operators were looking for a spot like that and it took off. But of course being the Halifax govt they did nothing to improve access or the internal street network, hence the traffic nightmare it became.

DC seems to have more potential to be improved relatively easily but it is saddled with numerous 4-way stops and choke points that really could be cleaned up fairly easily, but again, it seems nobody is motivated to do so.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Bayers Lake, and to a slightly lesser extent Dartmouth Crossing, are poorly designed. In the case of BL it is slightly more understandable as it was originally laid out to be an industrial park, but after failing to attract much business under that model, the municipality realized that retail operators were looking for a spot like that and it took off. But of course being the Halifax govt they did nothing to improve access or the internal street network, hence the traffic nightmare it became.

DC seems to have more potential to be improved relatively easily but it is saddled with numerous 4-way stops and choke points that really could be cleaned up fairly easily, but again, it seems nobody is motivated to do so.
All those type of commercial business parks are nightmares. People going from store to store in thier cars with crazy traffic. Its such a redicluous way to shop.

Last edited by Haliguy; May 27, 2024 at 2:32 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:11 PM

Keith has been a royal pain for years....

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waverley902 View Post
Keith has been a royal pain for years....
That's King Keith to the likes of you.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:41 PM

Quote:

You should be shocked to learn that they're building [GASP] HOUSING at Dartmouth Crossing.

First they took downtown from Keith. Now they're taking his precious shopping parkade. Is nothing sacred? What will Keith do?

Last edited by HarbingerDe; May 27, 2024 at 7:20 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 4:45 PM
Volatile Pacivist

The only real problem I have with Dartmouth Crossing is that it exists. Fix that and it's perfect!

But I admit that it's preferable to Bayer's Lake which is a complete fuster cluck.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 5:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
The only real problem I have with Dartmouth Crossing is that it exists. Fix that and it's perfect!

But I admit that it's preferable to Bayer's Lake which is a complete fuster cluck.
Bayer's Lake is an absolute abomination. It should be bulldozed. Nobody would miss it.

Dartmouth Crossing however is much better thought out. I would give it a reprieve.

Besides, if you didn't have Dartmouth Crossing, then where would you put your IKEA???

IKEA is after all your biggest claim to world class status for HRM......

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Only in the minds of Monctonians, who think such comparisons are even remotely relevant and who appear to suffer from massive city-envy. Really, get over it.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Bayer's Lake is an absolute abomination. It should be bulldozed. Nobody would miss it.

Dartmouth Crossing however is much better thought out. I would give it a reprieve.

Besides, if you didn't have Dartmouth Crossing, then where would you put your IKEA???

We could put the IKEA right on top of the Citadel and turn the rest of the Citadel green into a circumferential tiered parking lot. How else will we attract more cars and Keith-type folks downtown?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure