HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAslimm View Post
we have a nike store, it just happens to be at Carrolton and tulane, many places arent willing to open here until crime is under control. get upset if people want, truth hurts
The Nike store actually moved to Elmwood a couple years ago. It's extra funny considering they still refer to it as a "community store," which was supposed to be their initiative to put Nike stores into neighborhoods that were less traditional centers of retail investment.

I don't think national chains' concerns with crime are the primary reason they don't want to be on Canal though. For example, there are some just around the corner on the edge of the French Quarter. Large chain retailers are located in all kinds of major cities with crime issues in their particular neighborhoods. The difference is there's enough foot traffic and business to override their concerns. I think if we continue converting upper floors of Canal buildings to residences and hotels, the street will naturally get more foot traffic, even if just from tourists leaving to walk to the Quarter. That will start to bring retailers down Canal, just probably not the high-end ones like what's in Canal Place. Given the foot of Canal does have a better reputation already though, I can see upgraded retailers slowly working their way down the street from there. It's just going to take a critical mass for people to start to think of Canal as worthy of checking out for shopping.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
The Nike store actually moved to Elmwood a couple years ago. It's extra funny considering they still refer to it as a "community store," which was supposed to be their initiative to put Nike stores into neighborhoods that were less traditional centers of retail investment.

I don't think national chains' concerns with crime are the primary reason they don't want to be on Canal though. For example, there are some just around the corner on the edge of the French Quarter. Large chain retailers are located in all kinds of major cities with crime issues in their particular neighborhoods. The difference is there's enough foot traffic and business to override their concerns. I think if we continue converting upper floors of Canal buildings to residences and hotels, the street will naturally get more foot traffic, even if just from tourists leaving to walk to the Quarter. That will start to bring retailers down Canal, just probably not the high-end ones like what's in Canal Place. Given the foot of Canal does have a better reputation already though, I can see upgraded retailers slowly working their way down the street from there. It's just going to take a critical mass for people to start to think of Canal as worthy of checking out for shopping.
as much as I pass by there, I never even noticed that Nike was gone lol, just looked at google maps and sure enough, there is a "Dash Mart" sign, and I live close to elmwood, always over in that area but try to avoid much of that area as whoever is the owner or takes care of the property, has a fetish for speed bumps...I do see though it took over where Pier 1 import was

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post

Quote:
as much as I pass by there, I never even noticed that Nike was gone lol, just looked at google maps and sure enough, there is a "Dash Mart" sign, and I live close to elmwood, always over in that area but try to avoid much of that area as whoever is the owner or takes care of the property, has a fetish for speed bumps...I do see though it took over where Pier 1 import was
Speaking of which- are they ever going to do something with the old State Palace and Lindy Boggs ? Last time I visited, they were still abandoned and blighted.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
Speaking of which- are they ever going to do something with the old State Palace and Lindy Boggs ? Last time I visited, they were still abandoned and blighted.
that whole Canal intersection is blight other than recently opening up the rampart street car line again, no clue on either though

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 3:08 AM

quick trip down even though I didnt want to because of the construction, friends from Lafayette called me yesterday , I went down and when I get there they tell me something came up and they cant make it...text is instant lol...either way, some pictures, I got drunk and won some money so it all worked out, and the tweaker by valet, even though he said some methed up stuff, he was smart enough to walk away

I sure hope they will have a finish scrape and pave because what they are doing currently is terrible with the repairs so far

Zavier

Poydras/Superdome exit

Caesars backside

Canal street smoking section has (assume) plastic covers now for whatever they are doing, cant be glass because no smoking inside

they are installing the Hotel awning now but couldnt get a pic driving and with the barricades up

bad pic but Poydras/convention center entrance, doors are in, couldnt see if walkway was poured but good progress to open this month some looks poured but not 100%

Last edited by NOLAslimm; May 25, 2024 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 3:26 AM

both sides by the dome

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:13 AM

Shame it took the Super Bowl coming - to get the streets fixed. But something is better than nothing. Oh and just read the Saints have paid LSED the remaining $11 million they owed. Now they can finish the Dome renovations and hopefully start the process of renovating or a new arena for the Pels.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:12 PM

Is this true NOLA fonts

Saints behind on payments for shares of Caesars Superdome renovations, commission says

https://www.fox8live.com/2024/05/22/...mmission-says/

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteking View Post
Is this true NOLA fonts

Saints behind on payments for shares of Caesars Superdome renovations, commission says

https://www.fox8live.com/2024/05/22/...mmission-says/
they paid up yesterday afternoon

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 3:04 PM

Quote:
they paid up yesterday afternoon
ok good because I getting worried. Do you think the Saints will ever want to build a new stadium?

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
ok good because I getting worried. Do you think the Saints will ever want to build a new stadium?
it comes up often, but the only place for a stadium is where the dome is, or in the swamp land way away from the city in New Orleans East. they would have to implode the dome and rebuild right there. it would take many years and they would have to play somewhere else. so much money would be lost going that route so I dont see it any time soon

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 10:05 PM

I'm sentimental about the Dome.

I saw the Superdome's first football game, the first baseball game, a final-four basketball game, many Sugar Bowls, many Saints games, a Republican nominating convention, etc.

The original large projection screens on the center score board were a technological wonder at the time. I believe the Dome was one of the first stadiums to be able to show replays on the large screens.

In this day and age, some stadiums are replaced when they are 20-years-old. I hope NO can buck this trend and keep the dome up-to-date enough to keep all the Sugar Bowls, Super Bowls, and Saints games.

Last edited by York1; May 26, 2024 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 10:43 PM

But will it come a time when the Dome actually has to be replaced? There are so many facelifts you can do.

Last edited by BlueDot; May 26, 2024 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 11:49 PM

we have the 5th oldest stadium currently with the other 4 being northern open roof stadiums. with the bills and titans building now, we'll move into #4 soon. there will eventually become a time that its too far gone and needs replacing but dont look for that any time soon

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:15 AM

Quote:
we have the 5th oldest stadium currently with the other 4 being northern open roof stadiums. with the bills and titans building now, we'll move into #4 soon. there will eventually become a time that its too far gone and needs replacing but dont look for that any time soon
Every time I've read about the ongoing renovations they were supposed to keep the dome in good enough shape to last for another 30 years and to keep the Saints there for at least another 30 years. Now with this little payment thing they're only talking about a minimum 10-year lease in the article.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:51 AM

Quote:
it comes up often, but the only place for a stadium is where the dome is, or in the swamp land way away from the city in New Orleans East. they would have to implode the dome and rebuild right there. it would take many years and they would have to play somewhere else. so much money would be lost going that route so I dont see it any time soon
How far is New Orleans East from downtown? They’ll probably play at LSU stadium if come down to building a new stadium

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
Every time I've read about the ongoing renovations they were supposed to keep the dome in good enough shape to last for another 30 years and to keep the Saints there for at least another 30 years. Now with this little payment thing they're only talking about a minimum 10-year lease in the article.
You think the dome can last to 2050 with renovations? No way only 10 years, yeah something is up. Did they share anything else about the deal

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 4:56 PM

Quote:
You think the dome can last to 2050 with renovations? No way only 10 years, yeah something is up. Did they share anything else about the deal
That's really about all I know about it. I mean these team owners are notorious for screwing around

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
these team owners are notorious for screwing around

this sums it up perfectly

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
That's really about all I know about it. I mean these team owners are notorious for screwing around
Yeah I think it’s because their usually passed down to the children and they don’t know what their doing

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations