HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:04 PM

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 3:41 PM

I can't read the article. So the closure was just to knock out the ground level stuff, and they will continue over the coming months/year to work on the roof?

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 6:22 PM

Here is the press release from Marta.

Quote:
The MARTA Airport Station reopened today after a six-week closure to renovate the concourse and platform levels. The following work was completed during a temporary station closure from April 8 through May 19.
  • Installation of new terrazzo flooring in concourse
  • Installation of new platform pavers
  • Repair, sealing, and painting of track and concourse walls
  • Preparation for installation of the new canopy

Other planned improvements include replacement of ceilings and lighting, a new RideStore, full rehabilitation of the existing elevator, a public art installation, replacement of all signage, and full renovation of employee spaces.

Additional service impacts may follow as the project reaches its conclusion, including nightly closures and another temporary closure at the end of construction to install the new canopy. All service impacts will be communicated well in advance.

MARTA has also upgraded digital sign content at Airport Station and at all 38 rail stations systemwide to display more service information, including real-time train arrivals and scheduled train arrivals up to 30 minutes out. Real-time arrivals will be denoted with an icon and update every ten seconds. Scheduled arrivals will account for single tracking and special rail service. Other digital sign upgrades planned for this year include repairs to nonfunctioning station screens, adding live bus departures and cancellations to the screens, and enhancement to MARTA’s website.
https://itsmarta.com/marta-airport-station-reopens.aspx

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 8:32 PM

PRAISE BE TO THE MARTA GODS! We have been asking for that screen update at airport station forever. Forget the new floors, paint, etc., that screen actually showing departures instead of arrivals is the #1 user improvement. It points to the next train that's leaving, too!

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:24 PM

The MARTA sign indicating when the end-of-the-line train is departing is a huge benefit (including the arrow).
I've missed the Doraville inbound train because there wasn't an arrow or time indicating movement.
Hopefully, MARTA has implemented the same technology at all end-of-the line stations.

Another great improvement is the "Next Train" arrival feature on MARTA mobile app.
It use to show only the next train arriving at the station. Now it shows the next SEVERAL train schedule to arrive at the station, which makes for easier planning.

Check out the Five Points train arrival schedule. It's somewhat impressive. Kudos to MARTA for providing more info on the message boards .

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 5:37 AM

Updates on the Five Points station renovation:

• Ongoing interior renovation featuring new tilework, restored Eiseman Building façade, new signage, etc. will be complete late 2025
  • Street-level station entrances will close July 29th, 2024, but transferring between lines within the station will remain available
  • Bus routes that normally connect at Five Points will be rerouted to Georgia State, King Memorial, and Civic Center stations during construction
  • A shuttle will connect between Peachtree Center and Georgia State stations every 10 minutes for disabled individuals
  • The Breeze Ride Store and MPD Central Precinct will temporarily be relocated to Ashby station during the project
  • Construction will be paused in 2026 during the World Cup to allow riders to enter and exit the station while the event is in town
  • The station's street access will remain closed through 2028

Source: Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 View Post
Updates on the Five Points station renovation:

• Ongoing interior renovation featuring new tilework, restored Eiseman Building façade, new signage, etc. will be complete late 2025
  • Street-level station entrances will close July 29th, 2024, but transferring between lines within the station will remain available
  • Bus routes that normally connect at Five Points will be rerouted to Georgia State, King Memorial, and Civic Center stations during construction
  • A shuttle will connect between Peachtree Center and Georgia State stations every 10 minutes for disabled individuals
  • The Breeze Ride Store and MPD Central Precinct will temporarily be relocated to Ashby station during the project
  • Construction will be paused in 2026 during the World Cup to allow riders to enter and exit the station while the event is in town
  • The station's street access will remain closed through 2028

Source: Atlanta Business Chronicle
I read this last night and I was like 28......am I reading this right, 4 years. That is almost like a permeant closure even if it is temporarily opening for the World Cup.

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
I read this last night and I was like 28......am I reading this right, 4 years. That is almost like a permeant closure even if it is temporarily opening for the World Cup.
Yep.

I am car-free and a transit advocate my entire life, but I just can't with MARTA leadership.

In a city and state where transit receives little to no funding, what MARTA is spending on this station for a WORSE design than the current - and now closing it for years - is practically criminal.

The Mayor needs to focus his attention on this debacle and not the Eastside Streetcar extension, which costs $20 million LESS than this one station disaster.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted May 25, 2024, 2:20 PM

You know it will be delayed too. Probably won't reopen until 2030.

MARTA is so depressing.

Old Posted May 26, 2024, 5:17 PM

MARTA to close Atlanta Five Points station entrances in July

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...2afa74d&ei=39#
Quote:
Phase I of the MARTA Five Points Station Transformation project is set to begin. MARTA announced that work is set to get underway in roughly one month in July.

The project stems from the transit authority's plan to transform the central hub for the rail system "into a state-of-the-art" station ahead of the arrival of the 2026 World Cup. The planning has been in the works for about four years.
Video Link

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
The revised design plan shortens the length of the canopy, while also eliminating some of the fully transparent sections. Instead, it will feature a solid roof with some areas made of transparent glass.
I'm not confident about the final outcome; it might be beautiful, or it might be ugly.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchKid View Post
....I'm not confident about the final outcome; it might be beautiful, or it might be ugly.
Hell in 4 or 5 years it could be already outdated.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 3:57 PM

I took Marta home from the airport yesterday, first time I had ridden Marta since 2019? A few general observations:
1. The airport station, I can tell there are differences and there's been a refresh, but it's not that much better. If anything, I think it's worse because they took out the seating at the platform level.
2. The ticket machines are still crappy and tough to use when paying by card. Took three machines before I got one that would read any of my cards.
3. Patrons on the train were, less than ideal. A couple of groups boarded and were blaring music on bluetooth speakers. One got off and the next got on. It made the entire trip very exhausting. They would turn the music down at stations, clearly knowing what they were doing was wrong.

Anyway, the only reason I took the train was because of the Uber price home was astronomical. Hopped off at Arts Center and took an Uber the last mile home. Cost me maybe 10 extra minutes?

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchKid View Post
The revised design plan shortens the length of the canopy, while also eliminating some of the fully transparent sections. Instead, it will feature a solid roof with some areas made of transparent glass.
I'm not confident about the final outcome; it might be beautiful, or it might be ugly.
That is the revised design. Here is the original.

Old Posted May 28, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
That is the revised design. Here is the original.

I prefer the original roof design; it is lighter and more transparent compared to the revised design. Perhaps using wood-patterned blinds on the inside of the glass roof, as I.M. Pei did in the roof design of the Miho Museum, could better control the sunlight.

You can refer to the images in the link below for details:
https://www.miho.jp/en/architecture/approach/

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:04 PM

Still totally underwhelmed by the design. For what's supposed to be the main hub of the system, it looks like a glorified bus shelter that happens to have a rail station underneath.

I feel like by the time it actually gets built that canopy is going to get value engineered into looking like the one over Medical Center station.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post
Still totally underwhelmed by the design. For what's supposed to be the main hub of the system, it looks like a glorified bus shelter that happens to have a rail station underneath.

I feel like by the time it actually gets built that canopy is going to get value engineered into looking like the one over Medical Center station.
I think the entire redo is a bit of a waste tbh. I'd rather have the new trains sooner and better service intervals every day of the week than some grandiose central station that isn't really used by that many people, let alone by those downtown.

I have no qualms with the upgraded bus infrastructure at this station, or other stations for that matter. But again, would rather the money be spent on something else.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:49 PM

I wish the renovations were being done in conjunction with a new tower development, but downtown isn't there yet. I hope one day relatively soon we get a north ave or arts center station tower development/renovation. Both of those sites are so primed and ready for something on top.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
I wish the renovations were being done in conjunction with a new tower development, but downtown isn't there yet. I hope one day relatively soon we get a north ave or arts center station tower development/renovation. Both of those sites are so primed and ready for something on top.
I like the station design, which blends well with the new development planned for downtown.

As for the new rail cars, those are coming slowly due to Sadler having a few US orders they are working through. A few months ago someone on YouTube did a drone tour of their production facility (I think in Utah) and they are in the middle of two big orders now. I believe they got several US orders due to the Chinese rail car supplier running into troubles in LA and Boston, and the new regulations on China.

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaas05 View Post

It seems that before starting the design, the design company conducted a feasibility analysis. Building high-rise residential buildings above the station did not meet the sunlight requirements for residences, so they designed a glass canopy instead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta